Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ITR Boxster

Think anybody would notice if I put my all aluminum LS1 in the Camaro???

I looked at the V6 Mustang too - light at 2670 and found a good one for only $5K with 60K miles but I would melt those crappy brakes off the car. I can see the pads catching on fire as I roll in for tire temps. Best HP might be 190 stock to 230 on a good day. Don't see that car doing so great unless its cheatered up good (cheap car to cheater up so keep an eye on those rednecks.)

I'm still looking Porsche - 968 is now my class pick and if I get out there early I might win some races before people develop the heck out of their cars to match HP.

PS - I need somebody with a hot girlfriend or wife to go distract the guys at sound while big bore is out at LRP. My car is blowing 107 and I need those guys busy oogling, not watching sound meters! C'mon need some help here!

I even sent in a respectful request to move sound OUTSIDE the friggin track where its supposed to be - any bets they accomodate me???
    [/b]
    the 968 is a good pick. Look at the 944 cup site NASA and place "I want one" there. seen one there a year ago for 6k. Lots of info and parts for sale too. Ask Dave or John Brown to help locate one for you. They will be glad to help as the car can run in the cup with them as well. hope this helps. Lawrence

Ben, before you break the bank, lets go through the numbers on these cars (porsche 944-68). For many reasons they are not cheap. Run a stock motor, you will feel like your pulling bricks. See you at Lime Rock. Russ

Yup - them Porsches will break the bank but are damn good cars. I drove a 968 this Friday and it just didn't feel that quick. Big money for the car and then more for the motor......hummmm.

Boxsters are still top of mind especially after driving the 968. Maybe prices will plunge once the snow hits.

Cheers,

I use Ebay frequently and look at completed items. Around Christmas time last year when Jeff and I were first putting the ITR list together I looked up Boxsters and find some good candidates for much less than you guys recently found - however, with some body damage. I remember one that had just a front quarter mashed in, all lights busted (which are expensive), but ran great etc. went for $8270 and I did note completion of the auction - it sold for that. Drivable too and radiator intact as the descritption said. I imagine this would put off the normal buyers since it'd cost a lot to make right, but it was perfect for a racer and a can of bondo and some tape to cover up those lights!

Is there a place to find wrecked cars other than ebay? Like a clearing house area? I think a Boxster would be attractive too and maybe a contender.....would like to find that deal again.

R

Is there a place to find wrecked cars other than ebay? Like a clearing house area? I think a Boxster would be attractive too and maybe a contender.....would like to find that deal again.
    [/b]
    Ron, around our parts their are two decent auctions for wrecked cars.

www.adesaimpact.com (or) www.iaai.com

Check out the auction list for "Raleigh"
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

Fred, thanks. I had never heard of those. Have you used them before?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Fred, thanks. I had never heard of those. Have you used them before?
    [/b]
    It's funny you should ask.... My last two IT and SSS cars, my Spec e36 project car and a current T3 project all have been purchased at adesa. Most of these cars are total loss insurance claims that often have little real damage beyond blown airbags ($$$) and some sheetmetal. Salvage title makes no difference in the race car world..
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

Funny - I had discounted the 968 - mistake.

I went over to see a Boxster for sale on ebay. Negotiated my best price of $13.5K 55K miles and went to see the car which was in for service at the Porsche dealer. Get to talking with the service guy and he has a 968 for sale - personal car - parked behind the service facility. We jump in and give it a drive - car has BALLS - way more balls than a boxster. Car is 1993 968 - pristine with 90K mile on it for $8K. That has my mind working overtime! Black with mint grey leather and torsion LSD from the factory.

Never even looked at the Boxster - I'll hunt the auctions here in Jersey and see what that turns up.

I think ITR will become THE CLASS to run.

Cheers

I'm having too much fun figuring out this class - must remember to do some work during the day!

For us southeast guys considering a Boxster look what popped up on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-PORSCH...1QQcmdZViewItem
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

OH MY GOD!!

Look at these specs..............0-60 mph in 6 seconds, 0-100 mph in 6.9 seconds It only takes .9 seconds to go from 60 to 100!!

That cars a ringer. WE'RE ALL DEAD!! OH MY GOD!!

Seriously though, what about a BMW Z4? Not classified yet, but could be by the time I get one and build it
    John Norris
    ITR E36 BMW "sprint car" & ITS E36 "enduro car"
    "I vas too fast for racing and too low for flying"
    Hans Stuck jr

OH MY GOD!!

Look at these specs..............0-60 mph in 6 seconds, 0-100 mph in 6.9 seconds It only takes .9 seconds to go from 60 to 100!!

That cars a ringer. WE'RE ALL DEAD!! OH MY GOD!!

Seriously though, what about a BMW Z4? Not classified yet, but could be by the time I get one and build it
    [/b]
    Sure, it'll be eligable in '08. What with the roadsters being de-classes in Grand-Am, maybe you could find a good one to run D-Prep in untill then. See you at the Pumpkin-run.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Ben,
    I was talking to Van Steinberg about ITR, He told me that when he was preping the cars for his exceutive race series a few years ago the Boxter was so fast that they had to put intake restrictors on it to slow it down enough that the other cars could keep up. I think it's the way to go.

If anyone is interrested in spending lots of money to end up at the back of the pack, I will sell you my Contour SVT with 150,000 miles cheap. Great street car though. It will never be as fast as my ITS car, let alone the ITR cars.

Karl Bocchieri
    NYR
    ITS #80

iaii requires you to be a member to see the actual damage on the cars...thats $200.
    adesaimpact dose not and you can see pics of every car just about and the damage fo free befire deciding to go get something.

Hey Karl - good to hear from ya buddy.

I took a pass on ITR. I drove a 944 S2 and several 968 Porsches and I owned a 97 Boxster for 7 years. The Boxster hands down is the better car overall, but the 968 was fast - at least the 1 healthy car I drove. I decided I didn't want to spend that much $$ while I was still driving my stock car so I ended up buying a Fiero for a winter project and am just finishing a full blown motor build. This will be an interesting experiment for ITA. If the car puts down about 130-140 hp at the wheels I'll put a cage in and race it at the non NARRC points events. I'll run the stocker for the NARRC SPO championship this year.

Keen to see how ITR shapes up. But a wrecked Boxster or 968 would be WAY more expensive to fix than an ITA Fiero.

Cheers,

Ben

YMMV... having been punted (badly) by a Fear-O when I used to run in ITA, I know the 924(/944/968) is the more solid car... I got a bent trailing arm and rim; he got a bent frame!!!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

It was cool re-reading this thread from last year when I was looking for a Boxster. Got sidetracked playing around with a Fiero, built it out before putting in a cage, decided the car was not going to run up front and had too many issues to manage around. Sold it and got 90% back. So - Boxster has finally been purchased.

Picked up this Saturday in Natick MA - a 1 owner 1999 silver with black interior including matching hardtop for $11.5K and 60 day warranty and 71K on the odometer.

The bads - it has a golfball sized hole in the front valance (covered up now with color matched helicopter tape) and a small crease in the passender rear fenderwell on back side - tiny with no rust - needs touchup paint to hide it. Needs 2 rear tires but they are in decent shape to drive on for another 3K miles.

The good - car is in amazing condition. Interior is new - no wear and the exterior has nothing other than mentioned above. The service manual is up to date and stamped including the major 60K service that was done at 67K miles - that alone is worth a mint to me. Clutch is excellent, trans is excellent, motor runs like my 97 Boxster when brand new. When put on a lift before finishing the deal it's clean and no signs of any leaks, damage etc. Muffler and exhaust show some age but no leaks or nasty rust - just surface rust. Headers and exhaust will be the first thing done - after I have an inspection. Cats - don't need no cats!

Option codes show it does not have a LSD but it does have traction control. It does have some auxillary trans and oil cooler options added. A brake differential option was also shown - not sure what that is.

Some questions for the IT community:

Anybody racing one of these in ITR yet?
    What does traction control do? Limit power if a slippage condition exists? What's the trick LSD - Quaife?
    Who is the best resource to get build information from?
    Any thoughts on what a programmable ECU would do for the car - worth the expense?

Looks like this car will be an '09 debut - it's just too damn nice to not enjoy for a year while building it. I will dyno it now stock and progressively report on what changes helped or hurt (i.e. 4 Fiero exhaust sytems -3 that did nothing to improve performance).

Hopefully somebody else out there is going for a Boxster build to compare notes with.

Thanks,

BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Anybody racing one of these in ITR yet?
    What does traction control do? Limit power if a slippage condition exists? What's the trick LSD - Quaife?
    Who is the best resource to get build information from?
    Any thoughts on what a programmable ECU would do for the car - worth the expense?
    Hopefully somebody else out there is going for a Boxster build to compare notes with.

Thanks,
    [/b]
    The Racer's Edge, Karl Poeltl and or Steinel's Autowerks, Twinsburg, OH, Eric Steinel. This is where I would start to look.

Ditch the traction control, 1. not allowed and does limit power. Porsche's ECU's are very close to max and there would not be a lot gained from a new EMS. These guys I gave you would know more than me.

The only downside I see to racing a Porsche is the cost of the parts which makes BMW parts look cheap. Get it together, bring it to Nelson Ledges and call me if you need a test driver. It should be a 1.13 car there.

Good luck and happy holidays Ben

What does traction control do? [/b]
    Do you mean for street use?
    It must be disabled in IT.

Thanks guys - Racers Edge is not too far so I'll call on them.

I figured the traction control wasn't going to be a help - we'll rip them wires out - wait, that's why I need a trained professional :-)

I was able to run a 16 at Nelson in the ITS Mazda so 13 should certainly be in reach.

Happy Holidays
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Specifically, the rules require that you disable it by disconnecting at least 3 of the wheel speed sensors. It used to say all 4 wheel speed sensors, but that rule changed to 3 because the more modern BMWs with their stock ECU go into limp-home mode if the right-rear wheel speed sensor is disconnected.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe