Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ITR Boxster

CIS can be tuned. Everyone has just forgotten how in the modern world.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

CIS can be tuned. Everyone has just forgotten how in the modern world.
    [/b]
    Sure Chris, anything can be tuned but the CIS injection on the 3.0 911's is only the start of the problems. You also have very mild cams to work with CIS, low ( by todays standard ) C/R, so so intake runners with a crappy airbox setup and a big need for lots of oil cooler to keep it alive. The T bar suspension will work fine but is a pain in the ass to work with and bars are mucho more $$ than a 2.5" coil over spring. I love air cooled 911's, but unless you are in a class where the changes allowed help all the pitfalls, you are just riding around in a cool car that makes cool sounds....
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

Definitely the gaze has shifted now to the Boxster.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Yesterday (Saturday) afternoon a guy, sorry I don't remember his name, came by my paddock spot at Cal-Clubs Willow Springs event. He was running a Boxter on a limited budget and doing PCA events. He blew his motor and was waiting on the cash to put it back togeather. I told him about ITR and wished him luck at getting the Boxter back on the track. I'd love to see him out there next year.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Sure Chris, anything can be tuned but the CIS injection on the 3.0 911's is only the start of the problems. You also have very mild cams to work with CIS, low ( by todays standard ) C/R, so so intake runners with a crappy airbox setup and a big need for lots of oil cooler to keep it alive. The T bar suspension will work fine but is a pain in the ass to work with and bars are mucho more $$ than a 2.5" coil over spring. I love air cooled 911's, but unless you are in a class where the changes allowed help all the pitfalls, you are just riding around in a cool car that makes cool sounds....
    [/b]
    All good points made by someone who definitely appears to know more about these cars than me. I still can't help but think that at the specified weight, with the great braking potential and reasonable power that this could be a competitive car. It's all moot really, since I certainly won't be affording race car maintenance at Porsche parts prices any time soon.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Boxsters are great cars; my dads 2.7 boxster runs 2:20 flat around the glen full track and 1:22 around NHIS. The car is some what modded but still driven to the events, it even tows a tire trailer.

The car has proven its’ self to be a great car with over 100 track days on it and no real problems. It has taken my dad from a novice to a PCA instructor.

Now if I can talk my dad into co driving it with me in ITR. I guess I will have to finish my ITA miata and get him hooked on racing not just DE’s.

-Luke

Now if I can talk my dad into co driving it with me in ITR. I guess I will have to finish my ITA miata and get him hooked on racing not just DE’s.
    [/b]
    You know that the ITR Boxster listing is the 2.5L, not the 2.7L like your Dad's, right? Presumably the 2.7L would have to weigh a bit more?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

...and a competitive ITR time at NHIS is gonna have to be in the LOW 1:13's or high 1:12's...

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Holy Damn Andy, I clicked that link and thought I'd get to see some BOC action or more STL cowbell. WTH wreck was that????

Holy Damn Andy, I clicked that link and thought I'd get to see some BOC action or more STL cowbell. WTH wreck was that????

[/b]
    SM race at Watkins Glen. From a friends car. Reminds me that this shizzle is dangerous.

Andy Bettencourt

1:12 driving both chicane?

OK - so I've been beat on every boxster bid I've put on ebay. Don't think the $12K Boxster exists. I have been looking at some 968 cars and actually think that they might be a better pick - easy to get down to weight of 3055 lbs and 236 hp stock.

Anybody have an opinion on how racey a 968 might be? Found a coupe with 65K miles for $13.5K that would work as a street car for a year while I dial it in.

Good price on that sled?
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

1:12 driving both chicane? [/b]
    Nope. South oval, North chicane. ITS race record is 1:14.1xx
    Andy Bettencourt

OK - so I've been beat on every boxster bid I've put on ebay. Don't think the $12K Boxster exists. I have been looking at some 968 cars and actually think that they might be a better pick - easy to get down to weight of 3055 lbs and 236 hp stock.

Anybody have an opinion on how racey a 968 might be? Found a coupe with 65K miles for $13.5K that would work as a street car for a year while I dial it in.

Good price on that sled?
    [/b]
    Seems like it might be; OTOH, a 944S2 would be cheaper to get your hands on, though it'd only have the 5-speed, not the 6-speed - I assume if the 968's classed, so would the 944S2?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

It is classed.

OTOH, neither will make as much power as one of those Z cars I bet.

R

But they aren't Z cars...

I think the S2 has promise, but they aren't too common. Nor is the 968.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I love my Miata but I just can't stop thinking about this class. No car pops out at me as being THE choice. I look at light cars first, then powerful cars, then 'combo' cars...

The Z will be powerful but heavy. The 325's will still be powerful but less so, and light. The Porsches (944S2 and 968) are 'combo' cars.

Then I look at what is fast in ITS and see if something sticks out as much faster. The 968 with probably 200whp stock at around 3000lbs, room for huge wheels, massive brakes and a 50-50 chassis looks like it could be really fast out of the box. A well built E46 325is would have that same power number, be 200lbs lighter and a real nice chassis. Porsche guys will have to find the power...

Could easily choose 7-8 cars I think could run at the front AND be interested in building!

Andy Bettencourt

This is what is nice about the class-nothing appears to be a class beater. I hope it stays that way!!!! One of those Supras would be really nice.....

R

Just reading through this thread, and seeing all the cars that people are throwing out there as good, solid candidates is cool. To me, that's validation that we did a pretty good job putting this thing together.

I would LOVE to be able to afford to run a car in this class, as it looks like it's going to be a hoot, w/ a lot of players comming to the party. Don't kid yourself, front running ITR cars are going to be MAJOR $$$, and we won't see it for 3-4 years until some of the really significant development happens, and people start sorting these things out.

If I was going to run a car, and I had the attitude that it didn't have to be the 'best' car out there, hands down it would be a 911 SC. I still think those are some of the coolest cars ever, and they've got such a racing pedigree. Just like the old adage "nobody ever got fired for picking IBM", you could just as easily say "hard to go wrong racing a 911". If I were going to go w/ the 'best' car, I'd have to look real hard at an E46 BMW.

It's also kind of interesting some of the cars that haven't been brought up (e.g. 928, E30 M3, etc.)

Should be some very busy people over the winter (not to mention some melted credit cards! )

Think anybody would notice if I put my all aluminum LS1 in the Camaro???

I looked at the V6 Mustang too - light at 2670 and found a good one for only $5K with 60K miles but I would melt those crappy brakes off the car. I can see the pads catching on fire as I roll in for tire temps. Best HP might be 190 stock to 230 on a good day. Don't see that car doing so great unless its cheatered up good (cheap car to cheater up so keep an eye on those rednecks.)

I'm still looking Porsche - 968 is now my class pick and if I get out there early I might win some races before people develop the heck out of their cars to match HP.

PS - I need somebody with a hot girlfriend or wife to go distract the guys at sound while big bore is out at LRP. My car is blowing 107 and I need those guys busy oogling, not watching sound meters! C'mon need some help here!

I even sent in a respectful request to move sound OUTSIDE the friggin track where its supposed to be - any bets they accomodate me???
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion