Thread: ITR Boxster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It was cool re-reading this thread from last year when I was looking for a Boxster. Got sidetracked playing around with a Fiero, built it out before putting in a cage, decided the car was not going to run up front and had too many issues to manage around. Sold it and got 90% back. So - Boxster has finally been purchased.

Picked up this Saturday in Natick MA - a 1 owner 1999 silver with black interior including matching hardtop for $11.5K and 60 day warranty and 71K on the odometer.

The bads - it has a golfball sized hole in the front valance (covered up now with color matched helicopter tape) and a small crease in the passender rear fenderwell on back side - tiny with no rust - needs touchup paint to hide it. Needs 2 rear tires but they are in decent shape to drive on for another 3K miles.

The good - car is in amazing condition. Interior is new - no wear and the exterior has nothing other than mentioned above. The service manual is up to date and stamped including the major 60K service that was done at 67K miles - that alone is worth a mint to me. Clutch is excellent, trans is excellent, motor runs like my 97 Boxster when brand new. When put on a lift before finishing the deal it's clean and no signs of any leaks, damage etc. Muffler and exhaust show some age but no leaks or nasty rust - just surface rust. Headers and exhaust will be the first thing done - after I have an inspection. Cats - don't need no cats!

Option codes show it does not have a LSD but it does have traction control. It does have some auxillary trans and oil cooler options added. A brake differential option was also shown - not sure what that is.

Some questions for the IT community:

Anybody racing one of these in ITR yet?
    What does traction control do? Limit power if a slippage condition exists? What's the trick LSD - Quaife?
    Who is the best resource to get build information from?
    Any thoughts on what a programmable ECU would do for the car - worth the expense?

Looks like this car will be an '09 debut - it's just too damn nice to not enjoy for a year while building it. I will dyno it now stock and progressively report on what changes helped or hurt (i.e. 4 Fiero exhaust sytems -3 that did nothing to improve performance).

Hopefully somebody else out there is going for a Boxster build to compare notes with.

Thanks,

BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Anybody racing one of these in ITR yet?
    What does traction control do? Limit power if a slippage condition exists? What's the trick LSD - Quaife?
    Who is the best resource to get build information from?
    Any thoughts on what a programmable ECU would do for the car - worth the expense?
    Hopefully somebody else out there is going for a Boxster build to compare notes with.

Thanks,
    [/b]
    The Racer's Edge, Karl Poeltl and or Steinel's Autowerks, Twinsburg, OH, Eric Steinel. This is where I would start to look.

Ditch the traction control, 1. not allowed and does limit power. Porsche's ECU's are very close to max and there would not be a lot gained from a new EMS. These guys I gave you would know more than me.

The only downside I see to racing a Porsche is the cost of the parts which makes BMW parts look cheap. Get it together, bring it to Nelson Ledges and call me if you need a test driver. It should be a 1.13 car there.

Good luck and happy holidays Ben