Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 91 CRX Si ITA Build

Can someone post some photos or direct me to some of the connection of your harness to the cage and floor?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I have updated the photos.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I am going to do a couple of track days this fall at LRP to shake down the car a bit. In the spring I will hit the school and start racing. :026:

I will be a the runoffs on Saturday. (and heading back there on Sunday for the walkathon event).

I am interested in purchasing a set used tires that have enough life in them to get me through two track days. Looking for 225, 15's. I will chuck them after the track events then purchase new sets to start next season. Anybody have some tires to sell? I can wait till after the event to receive the tires, I am not under a tight time frame at the moment.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Check with Smarty on Saturday. He's always got tires that the fast guys are throwing away.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Thanks! Will do!

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Man I think I am falling in love with the UPS guy. He brings me packages all the time these days! The guy behind the counter at Autozone is up on my list also!

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

yea, if you are at the runoffs, go scrounging by the tire trailer. you should be able to snag something for a couple of track days.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I could not get there early as my son had a JV football game. A good one, they won with a 20 yard field goal with 5 seconds left. I arrived just after the ITA group. I stopped by the Hoosier trailer...sign up "No used tires".

Anyone have any for a 15x7 rim?

Painting the car this weekend in the front yard pending some clear weather (and UPS showing with the paint!)

</span>
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Well, the car is painted. I am going to do a bit of sanding and cost it again, then hit it with clear.

I am going to sit tight in a rim purchase till the spring. I have 14x6 on the car now. Anyone have some 14" 195-205 tires for sale for Novembers track days?

If I buy new tires now, use them in November, what do I need to do to them to keep fresh till the spring?

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I am registered for a NASA track day at LRP for 11/8! :026:
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Updated Pics!!!!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Don&#39;t try for any track records the first time out....

After the first session while your telling everybody how great it was, go around and check as many nuts and bolt as you can for tightness.

Then go have some fun. That is what it is suppose to be about.

Make sure you also understand the noise limitations of a NASA event at Lime Rock. I wouldn&#39;t be surprised if it was 89dB...and that will require some additional thinking on exhaust.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

The exhaust is still OE except for the cat so I don’t think that I should have an issue with the noise level.

I will get some pictures up this weekend.

All that I need to do now is make a few adjustments on the harness, change the transmission fluid and mount rubber. :026:

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Mothe$%)$# Fu%$)@#) Son of a B@)#(^@#

My oil burner popped last night. I have a new one being delivered today. I will install it tomorrow. It has to be done before I leave for the track or I am in the dog house. Figures.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

So the oil burner went in...yes, it sucked doing it.

LRP was an absolute blast. I had more fun in the CRX on that track then I do with my E46M3. I will put up some photos and thoughts a bit later.

Thank you for everyone who helped guide me in this.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I have updated the build photos. I will put some photos and video of track day up a bit later.

Make sure you also understand the noise limitations of a NASA event at Lime Rock. I wouldn&#39;t be surprised if it was 89dB...and that will require some additional thinking on exhaust.

[/b]

There were a few people warned about the 89 limit. I believe there was one car sent home for noise.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I updated some more photos and videos.

So we ended up at the track around 6:30am. The gate was not open yet.

I rented Uhaul trailer since I have not purchased one yet. The trailer is a piece of crap. The ramps are too steep. Plus there is an inner rail guard to keep people from driving off inside the trailer. This got caught on a bunch of stuff under the car. It was a pain getting the car on and off. I had to use the hill to flatten out the ramps. Plus with the frost on everything, the Kuhmos did not want to back up the hill. This was a chore at 6:30am at 35 degrees that I just did not want. Needless to say, the next time the car is moved it will be on a proper trailer.

I kind of cruised around in the first session. I was trying to figure braking and shifting spots and well as feel out the car – hoping I tightened everything down. I left the stop watch home. The track did have frost on the grass. A few puddles inside the left hander were iced over. For some reason I was in a run group with some pretty high horsepower cars (GT3, Cobra, C6). I did not see them often though.

The second run I was much more confident in the car. I cleaned up the shifting spots, using 3rd gear for most of the track, 4th on the three straights. I was much cleaner and felt stronger in the car.

The third run was an experience. I was pushing the car harder, trying to break later, turn smoother, shift cleaner. The car was a little skittish at the higher speeds. I am sure this was due to my lousy alignment job. As I built nerve on the downhill, I was faster into the Big Bend breaking zone, bringing my brake point from 1 to 3. I tried to clean up my line into Big Bend so I can reduce the breaking point. I found that keeping the outside tires on the outside edge of the concrete kept me moving and quicker to the short chute to the left hander. However, about half way through the session, turning into the left hander, my steering wheel fell into my lap! Holy crap! I was holding it up incase it was going to get bound. I stuck my arm up out the window and slowed down. I have the OE assembly. I did take it down to mess with the dashboard. I could not figure out what was going on since I thought I was looking at the bolts in place. I make it around the track and into the paddock. As soon as I turned the car off, I saw it…………the tilt wheel lever………it had come loose and dropped the wheel. Geez.

The fourth run was by far my best run. I felt good in the car, getting more speed in the down hill, memorized my shift points, tried to shorten the break points and turn smoother. In the down hill I was in third full throttle or fourth with partial throttle. I was able to break down to 2 under the bridge. I felt good about the turns before no name all day. I am surprised at how well the track holds onto the car in the uphill, hit the little kink in the curb on west bend. I think my line is OK for now. I just need to get some more confidence in the car. I few times I felt the car slide around a bit. Mostly they were in the left hander and into big bend. I know I can be faster everywhere, but I think the two spots for me to work on the most is the downhill and through big bend. Some more suspension and horsepower could not hurt also… Although I was not in the track with similar cars, I was never in anybody’s way (except that crazy fast M Coupe) I was able to pull people on the turns. I felt good about that even if we were not racing.

The drive train and engine is OE, no work on them. Exhaust and air are OE. OE sways. I have no idea how old the plugs, wires, etc are. The suspension is AGX. I have no idea how old they are or what the springs are. They look like crap and I am sure the car is way too soft, felt it anyway. With the 205 Kuhmos, in roughly 40 degree weather all day, we went from 30 psi all around to 26 front and 22 rear. The car felt better at those settings. The PSI came off at about 4 psi higher, 5 in the front left.

I think I need to adjust my belt a bit better. I think the shoulders were too tight and the lap too loose. I had a couple sore spots on my left thigh that I think I could have prevented with a tighter lap. After a few laps I noticed I was slouched down. Shoulders too tight?

I don’t think I am crazy about the Wink mirror.

My wife and kids were trackside. We let them play hookey from school. They worked on the car and wanted very much to be there. I can see that this is going to be a great family time at the track, regardless of how well we perform.

I remember talking to someone in IT with a rabbit a few years ago. It was one of my first trips to Limerock to start peeking my interest. He said to me "I regret I didnt start this 20 years ago". I can see why. I have driven my street 2003 E46 M3 around LRP and Pocono. Although that is a great car, this CRX is lots of fun.

Man, I can’t wait till the spring.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

This is my first time reading this thread. I live in Fishkill, NY . Let me know if u need help getting to Lime Rock next time. 845-592-0184 Eric

Your right down the road!

I will definitely look you up! Thanks!

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP