Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 91 CRX Si ITA Build

Last night I sent John an email describing the question. I followed with a phone conversation. The interpretation of what is written that the glass and lift can come out; that the paragraph is poorly written. (I agree with him on both accounts).

Also from the conversation I understand this passage is undergoing a revision to more clearly word the intention...which is to keep the glass and lift in the door unless there is a NASCAR bar in the way.

As I mentioned, I will keep the glass and lift in the door, cover it up with some 060.

Thanks for helping me through this question.

I am looking forward to buttoning this car up and get some laps under my belt with it.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Woohoo..picked up a complete stock engine for very very dirt cheap. At some point it will be shipped over to Mr Blaney for some work. :026:
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Do you still have interior parts or did you toss 'em?
    #5 ITA 91 Civic Si - TT and track day for the moment

Some of them I sold, some of them I broke in my new saws all with, some of them were used as paint ball target practice.

Sorry, I don't have any interior parts left other than the two front seats. We were planning on making a car race video game cockpit with one of them.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

What kind of shape is the other one in? We have one decent one...
    #5 ITA 91 Civic Si - TT and track day for the moment

ummmmm.....been outside since April......waiting for the saws-all.

Otherwise it is in good shape. I can send you some photos of it. If you cover the shipping you can have it.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I have uploaded some newer photos. I should have the interior paint this week.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Raff...

I saw your CRX stuff for sale. You may want to hang on to the spare tire. It is an easy way to add weight to the rear of the car... and to make min. weight.

Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Thanks for the input. I have kept a few items for the rear, just in case I needed weight. I am sure that my belly will keep the car over!

I kept the tire and jack...just in case.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

The spare stock tire and all of it's associated tools are a valuable and legal weight gain, and put it right where it is needed. Your looking at upwards of 50lbs, which in conjunction to a few too many beers will eliminate the need to adding the recient weight penalty.

When you do re-install the tire, make sure you use strong new bolts with washers or plates to secure the tire, it would be a bummer to be wacked in the back of the head by your spare.

You also want to keep the stock spare tire because when you have an "incident" it is a lot easier to mount that on and get the car on the trailer then the full racing tire that sometimes won't spin. A small spare should be a mandatory "tool" Come in handy quite a few times, luckily it wasn't for me
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

I have some of the unibody painted on the front, the bumper bar, radiator, headlights are back on. I was going to go nuts and pull apart the engine compartment to paint it. But I thought time would be better spent getting it on the track. I can paint the engine compartment when there is a foot of snow outside. So I just painted what I could have direct access to while things are apart.

I started taking a wheel to the interior to remove the final traces of the sound insulation. Hoping to paint the interior this weekend.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

i guess i never thought about the jack & tools, etc. staying.

that is allowed?

i can maybe wedge the jack into place but it is not really that securely fastened. i have seen some add bolting to hold the tire and as near as i can tell, i don't see anything in the rules for allowing that.

i did add some wire to the bolt for the spare just because of concerns from the grid workers that wanted me to remove the tire. only after seeing the wire did they realize that it was intentional.

but even the wire is likely making me a cheater.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

i have seen some add bolting to hold the tire and as near as i can tell, i don't see anything in the rules for allowing that.
    [/b]
    I used two 1/2" bolts with large washers to mount the spare tire. Although the rules don't explicitly allow for this type of mounting for the spare, it is in keping with the allowances for mounting ballast. I wouldn't be at all comfortable with a 20-30# spare behind me with only the stock attachment point and I doubt that my mounting would raise any eyebrows in the tech shed

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

I used two 1/2" bolts with large washers to mount the spare tire. Although the rules don't explicitly allow for this type of mounting for the spare, it is in keping with the allowances for mounting ballast.[/b]
    Does anyone else see a problem with that in terms of rules? If it is mounted "in keeping with the allowances for mounting ballast", shouldn't it be mounted in the only legal place in the car to actually mount that ballast?

I'm not saying that I disagree with people doing this (I mean, it is safer), but that's a bad arguement that people could easily flag you on.....and we all know how things like that have been taking on a life of their own around here.

Signed,
    Kevin, who re-did all of his oil cooler lines and moved his remote oil filter just so he could stick the stupid washer bottle back in.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quit trying to cause problems Kevin! Hardware is open! Like all those extra 1/2" grade 8 bolts in my frame rails and connecting my cage to the whitebody!
    Ian

Can anyone point in the right direction to learn about painting the exterior of the car? Wanna do it myself.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Can anyone point in the right direction to learn about painting the exterior of the car? Wanna do it myself.
    [/b]

I think Dave Gran's book talks about it............You DO have a copy of Dave's book, don't you???!!!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Doh...!!!

Yes, I have it, should have checked there first!

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Unless you have the right equipment and very tolerant neighbors, I'd seriously rething painting yourself. I did it for many years (years ago) when paint was cheap and nobody cared about health issues.

Get in touch with a local Maiko or some other cheap fast paint shop (or make a side deal with one of the grunts that works at the local body shop). If you do most of the prep work and take all of the trim off the car, the shop might cut you a break since all they have to do is wipe it down with prep-sol, mask it and final touch sand it and spray it. They will give you a bit of a break, plus you won't have to worry about orange peel or fisheye or runs etc. And if you have some spare doors and fenders (count on fenders) they can spray them at the same time.

Compare that to you buying primer, thinner, paint, etc etc etc, and all of the other crap that goes along with it the $250 bucks for a basic Maiko is a cheap alternative.