Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 91 CRX Si ITA Build

Some advice on the steering wheel please...

What is the deal with the costs of the after market wheels?

Due to my 'mass' I am going to need to be able to remove the wheel to get in and out. Can I get the hub from Pegasus and mount the OEM steering wheel to it? I notice that some of the circle track mail order places show wheels in the $2-30 range.

Can someone please give me a clue?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

The cage and seat are in! Chris Howard did a great job.

http://www.putfile.com/raffaelli/images/83179
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

i loved the photos showing that the windshield washer bottle and heater/fan are still installed!
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Thanks! Trying to stay on the safe side of legal.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Any input into locating the window net? Up and toward the rear seem to be the best? Keeping it out of veiw of the mirror?

Finally got my new welder wired up and am going to learn on some scrap I have, then put the tabs on for the net and kill switch.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

i've got the window net set up to be quick release at top and bottom. I have a relatively solid strapping on "edge" through the netting. an earlier version was too small of an all-thread that was pretty flimsy.

also, pay close attention to any tabs that could be in the way during a rapid exit with the helmut off or when leaning into the car to get something.

also, i like the thin mesh that is not that obvious there is anything for visibility as opposed to the more conventional 1" wide solid webbing.

all of this is personal preference.

1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

thanks tom.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I have seen a few cars with a mount for the switch very similar (if not exactly) to the mount in the link for the photo below. Any idea where this came from?

http://picasaweb.google.com/MadFrog71/Mf1/...816850503187410
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Thanks, I have that switch. I was looking for the bracket it is mounted to. I looked around and can't find a pre-fab one. I will cut one up this weekend around trips over to LRP.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

9.1.3.f. Carpets, center consoles, floor mats, headliners, sun roof liner and frame, dome lights, grab handles, and their insulating, attaching or operating mechanisms may be removed. Door interior trim panels may be replaced with 0.060” aluminum securely attached to the door. All other interior trim panels, except the dashboard, may be removed. Other than to provide for the installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted. The door window glass, window operating mechanism, and inside door latch/lock operating mechanism may be removed and the inner door structural panel may be modified, but not removed. The stock side impact beam, if equipped, and the outside door latch/lock operating mechanism shall not be removed or modified. This gutting of the door shall only be made if roll cage incorporates NASCAR-style side protection extending into the door.

While at Limerock this weekend, I was looking at a bunch on ITA cars. I have a question about the passenger door. If I read this correctly, I can remove the passenger door glass and glass operating mechanism? The last sentence referring to 'this' gutting is in reference to the previous sentence or the entire passage?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

9.1.3.f. Carpets, center consoles, floor mats, headliners, sun roof liner and frame, dome lights, grab handles, and their insulating, attaching or operating mechanisms may be removed. Door interior trim panels may be replaced with 0.060" aluminum securely attached to the door. All other interior trim panels, except the dashboard, may be removed. Other than to provide for the installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted. The door window glass, window operating mechanism, and inside door latch/lock operating mechanism may be removed and the inner door structural panel may be modified, but not removed. The stock side impact beam, if equipped, and the outside door latch/lock operating mechanism shall not be removed or modified. This gutting of the door shall only be made if roll cage incorporates NASCAR-style side protection extending into the door.

While at Limerock this weekend, I was looking at a bunch on ITA cars. I have a question about the passenger door. If I read this correctly, I can remove the passenger door glass and glass operating mechanism? The last sentence referring to 'this' gutting is in reference to the previous sentence or the entire passage? [/b]
    It looks like you have traditional X bars.

These are not the 'NASCAR style' bars you must have that allow you to 'gut' that door. If you looked at my car, you saw the entire stock trim panel housing the crank window and mechanism because I too have just an 'X'.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Yes, I have the X bars. I did look at your car also. Seems kind of silly to me to have the glass in that door. Do you know the reasoning behind keeping the glass in the door?

I will keep all the inerts of the door together, but I will replace the finish panel will the 060 aluminum (looks more racecar to me)

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Yes, I have the X bars. I did look at your car also. Seems kind of silly to me to have the glass in that door. Do you know the reasoning behind keeping the glass in the door?
    [/b]
    I would presume that the rules were changed to allow removal of the parts b/c some felt that NASCAR bars were needed for additional safety. I would imagine prior the allowance for NASCAR bars you would have ben unable to remove these items. I'm sure Andy would have more info on the history/evolution of the rule.

I will keep all the inerts of the door together, but I will replace the finish panel will the 060 aluminum (looks more racecar to me)
    [/b]
    Not to sound like an ass (even though it may come across as such), the rules weren't written to make the cars involved look "racey". They were written for safety and to create a relatively level playing field across many different marques.

Christian, who doesn't like all of the rules in the GCR but loves the overall rules structure.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Thanks for your input, no, don't sound like an ass to me.

Some of the rules do make me kinda scratch my head, this one included. Seems like keeping the glass in the door raises increases the risk for on track debris problems. I understand that the rules don't account for the 'racey' feeling of a car, but it looks wierd to me. Retaining the interior of my E46M3 in Touring is the reason that I have not changed that to a race car - just looks weird to have a race car with leather.

Either way, rules are rules, so no problem retaining the inerts.

Does 9.1.3.b allow me to remove the window and lift if my reason to remove it is saftey and not performance advantage?

9.1.3.b Other than those specifically allowed by these rules, no component or part normally found on a stock example of a given vehicle may be disabled, altered, or removed for the purpose of obtaining any competitive advantage.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

We spoke to Topeka today regarding this passage of the rules. John confimed that the window and lift can be removed from the passenger door, that is all that can be removed. The 'gutting' of the door refers to the rest of the tin.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

ONLY if you use NASCAR bars. The removal of the window is NOT permitted on the passenger side unless your cage extends into that area. I can't see how John or Jeremy could have understood your question.

The rule you question in the last post is to say that 'if it doesn't say you CAN, then you CAN'T'. It says you CAN remove that window IF you excesize your option to use NASCAR bars on the passenger side.

Rule:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Anyone else read this rule any different?</span>

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

We were fairly descriptive. I don&#39;t think there was a misunderstanding. We did say no bars, passenger door. We will call again to double check.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Anyone else read this rule any different?</span>

[/b]
    I&#39;m interpreting it the same as you Andy...

I can understand how a quick "glance" at the rule might lead a person to think that&#39;d it be allowable but, per my reading, it isn&#39;t.

"The door window glass, window operating mechanism, and inside door latch/lock operating mechanism may be removed and the inner door structural panel may be modified, but not removed. The stock side impact beam, if equipped, and the outside door latch/lock operating mechanism shall not be removed or modified."[/b]
    Ok, the portion above gives the guidelines for what is and is not allowable. The next line is just as or even more important.

"This gutting of the door shall only be made if roll cage incorporates NASCAR-style side protection extending into the door."[/b]
    (bold added by me)

The "this" being referred to is the entire previous section. i.e. if you don&#39;t have NASCAR bars, you can&#39;t gut the door. Really, it seems pretty simple and self explanatory to me.

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

We were fairly descriptive. I don&#39;t think there was a misunderstanding. We did say no bars, passenger door. We will call again to double check.
    [/b]
    Eh - what&#39;s one completely new and different IT rule interpretation among friends?

I hope this doesn&#39;t get silly.

K