Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 91 CRX Si ITA Build

raffaelli,
    I was just looking at your pictures of your car, nice job by the way. My brother and I have a 90 Civic Si and we are doing some updates to it also. We have to add a fuel test port to our civic so I was looking at yours in the picture. Correct me if I am wrong, but if during a wreck if something came back and hit your fuel test port depressing it, wouldn't it spray fuel all over your hot engine causing a huge fire? Maybe that port works differently than I am thinking. It is convenent to get to but, I am not sure that is the safest installation. What if a person added a valve between the supply line and the test port?

Where did everyone else mount their test ports?
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

1990 Honda Civic Si ITA (eventually)
    Hallett COMMA Series PA Class

Quote Originally Posted by arpenn View Post
    raffaelli,
    I was just looking at your pictures of your car, nice job by the way. My brother and I have a 90 Civic Si and we are doing some updates to it also. We have to add a fuel test port to our civic so I was looking at yours in the picture. Correct me if I am wrong, but if during a wreck if something came back and hit your fuel test port depressing it, wouldn't it spray fuel all over your hot engine causing a huge fire? Maybe that port works differently than I am thinking. It is convenent to get to but, I am not sure that is the safest installation. What if a person added a valve between the supply line and the test port?

Where did everyone else mount their test ports?

Hi, thanks for the compliment.

I suppose that could happen - although I think that the value would need to be pressed against the fire wall, and have something pushing on the front of it. That would be quite a bit of damage to the car, probably includes moving the engine into the fire wall.
    I have added a cap to the valve with a zip tie so that will limit the flow of fuel, if any.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I think those are the same mount, but I could be wrong. The arms are adjustable which is what you are seeing in the picture at Pegasus. My brother and I have the I/O port camera mount in our civic. We haven't shot any video from it yet because we just got the car but the guy we bought the car from used it and his videos look good.
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

1990 Honda Civic Si ITA (eventually)
    Hallett COMMA Series PA Class

Do yourself a favor. Go out to the car with the vid camera. Climb in the back, turn the cam on, and zoom back to it's widest setting. Now, adjust your position to please. I like to get the windshield in completely, if poss., but most vid cameras won't have a wide angle setting that will accommodate.

In any case, see where you are when you like what you see in the viewfinder. Which mount will facilitate that position? The Pegasus mount is more expensive, but appears to have great range. The I/O mount is cheaper but looks like it has a smaller range of possible positions.

The I/O mount might be sturdier as well, because of that limited range, and produce better, more vibration free images.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    Neither. Get this one:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...with_3025.html

It's cheaper and has more range of motion.

And Jake made a great point about a wide angle. Pretty much every consumer camcorder I've used in car has a really narrow field of view. You can't mount it far enough back to get a large enough field of view, at least for my tastes. I HIGHLY recommend getting a screw-on wide angle lense attachment. I recommend a 0.5x wide angle, this will double your field of view and allow you to get the entire windshield in the picture, you can ALMOST see the side view mirrors in the camera. You need to find out what size filter thread you have and get a lense that size, or most include different adapter/step rings. Most camcorders are in the range of 27-40mm. The size lense you get won't matter as long as it has the step ring for you camcorder lense.

Something like this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._45x_Wide.html

Wide angle makes the picture so much better.

s

So I decided on the IO Port mount. Will arrive today. I lined up my camera and I can get 98% of the windshield mounting directly over the horizontal bar with the .5 wide angle lens.

All I need to do is pack up and change the number on the car and I should be set for the school.
    I made some flash cards from the GCR regarding pre-race, on track and post race procedures so it can become second nature.
    Hopefully the rain holds off. I will be attending with my Kuhmos and street all-weathers.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

So the school was great. A week later and I still feel like I can drive each one of the 150 something laps over again in my head. I met some great people. Aside from the track and all that, it was the people that made this event are great and fun as it was. good to finally put some faces to the screen names. Plus I think I found a good group of guys at my and my car's performance level that we will have lots of fun together on the track.

I don't have any contact damage to the car. I did notice that the front left axle has some issues. The axle nut lip is torn and the axle has a crack in the end from the keyway into the dimple in the centerline of the axle. I don't know what that happened but I have spares.

Also the front end of the car does a lot of knocking, especially when I started to get tight to the tires in turn 3. I have all OE bushings, probalby most are original to the car. Time to change them. I amy be developing a problem with the transmission. At high RPM it clicks when I put it into gear. You will be able to pick it up on the video when I post it.

Looking forward to next time.
    Last edited by raffaelli; 04-18-2008 at 10:47 AM.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Am I eligible to participate in the Tuesday test days at LRP with my signed novice permit?

Is it on and off whenever you want or is it done in sessions? If it is on and off whenever you want it seems like a great $/lap ratio and a great way to get some seat time.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Am I eligible to participate in the Tuesday test days at LRP with my signed novice permit?

Is it on and off whenever you want or is it done in sessions? If it is on and off whenever you want it seems like a great $/lap ratio and a great way to get some seat time.
    yes your novice permit should work.

between 2 and 4 rotating sessions depending on turnout.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

You'll usually get 5 sessions or so. Not as good a value as NHMS though....
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

But, it's hours closer for you, and not Mickey Mouse like NHIS either, LOL (At least the "Classic" layout.

Which brings up an interesting point...see NE section thread...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I am going to install a shift light and new tach. I was thinking of putting the 3 5/8” tach within the OE gauge cluster with the shift light to the right, outside the gauge cluster bezel. Also, down the road, I plan on putting a fuel gauge and speedometer inside the gauge cluster. I am going to put the balance of gauges in the center console.

I notice that many replacement tachs are outside the bezel and some are the 5” size. Any particular reason?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Any reason not to use Summit brand gauges?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Hey! Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elrAZOpXo08

If you were near me in any of the sessions at the school and you want video of me passing you (or at least spinning out in front of you!:eek, please drop me a note with your mailing address and I will send you a disc.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Chris,

I just realized no one had responded to your question on the tach.

The bigger the better, the more in your line of site (without blocking your view. Duh) the better. Same with the shift light. It's amazing how distracted you get on the starts and fail to see the laser shift light burning your retina out.............

If you haven't forgotten to shift on a start and have half the field pass you as your rev limiter kicks in, you haven't raced enough!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Are the RPM’s that important to see or it is just the shift light I need to see?

Watching the video of the sessions I was surprised at how many times I was against the rev limiter - FAR more than I thought I was – partly because I was not watching the tach and partly because I did not have enough umph when I shifted. I know I forced the limiter going uphill. There is a practice start that Greg made me look like I was literally parked - sure enough, I didn’t shift.:026:
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Hi Jeff,
    Are the RPM’s that important to see or it is just the shift light I need to see?

Watching the video of the sessions I was surprised at how many times I was against the rev limiter - FAR more than I thought I was – partly because I was not watching the tach and partly because I did not have enough umph when I shifted. I know I forced the limiter going uphill. There is a practice start that Greg made me look like I was literally parked - sure enough, I didn’t shift.:026:
    I think you answered your own question!!

I want to know how close I am to needing to shift and I want to know how close I am to hitting the rev limiter. It is important to me.......
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

Aight, looks like a 5" with lite it is.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

So I am going to put the whole gauge thing on hold a bit.

I put in a AEM short intake last night. Looks cool.
    Someone said the coating on the tube attracts trophy girls…we’ll see.

I am considering building an exhaust, header back. Any tips?

https://improvedtouring.coms/showthread.php?p=267964#post267964
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP