Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 91 CRX Si ITA Build

I'll second the Maaco selection. I don't have one here in the boonies, but back in the real world, Maaco could paint the entire car for just the cost of paint at a body shop. They seem to make their money doing the prep work... bondo, etc.

They also paint most of the undercarriage in overspray. :P
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

I have been kind of on the fence about this. I have been wanting to do it myself but the time and cost seem to not balance well against having a cheapo job done elsewhere. I will mark this as money well spent and spend the time on something else. Thanks for you help!

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Interior Paint:

Flat or Gloss: I bought a can of both, I like the way the gloss looks but I think that it might be too reflective.

The interior will be grey the exterior will be blue. Where should I stop the interior color? At the spot weld seam or along the outer edge where rteh exterior surface turns toward the interior. It seems logical to me that the color shold change at the spot weld seam but it will be easier (read as cheaper) to paint the exterior without having to be crazy masking the door jams. You think it will look goofy?

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

It's a race car, not a show car. Do whatever is cheaper and easier.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

I taped off the car as if the exterior paint were going to extend to the spot weld seam. As I sprayed the inside of the car last night, I thought...wow, what a paint in the arse it will be to paint these door jams the exterior color. Tonight, when I go back to touch up the car, I will extend the paint to the outside...like you said, easier and cheaper.

Getting the interior painted feels like the 300lb Gorilla has left the room. :026:

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I am considering a rear view mirror. Are there advantages to either the Wink or the convex mirror?

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Personal preference, really. I use to have a 4 or 5 panel wink mirror but was constantly busting my head on the damn thing when inside the car working on something. Then I tried a convex mirror and it took a little more time to get use to and didn't mount as securely (eventually fell off in the middle of a race). Now I just use a stock rearview mirror pointed towards the back and passenger side and a stock drivers side mirror.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

I think I like the convex mirror.

We put the dash back in last night and connected all the harnesses.

I have to make a few brakets for the center console and the end of the dash. All of that needed to be removed to be able fit around the horizontal bar. Fortunatley, I think I can just modify the OEM bracket with relocating some weld on nuts.

I started to cut out the sun roof panel. I was using my cutoff wheel to do it. I quickly learned that the cut off wheel is not the best tool for that. I contacted the local metal supplier to see if they would cut it. They wanted $100 plus material. Instead I bought an electric metal shear from Northern Tool for $50. Blew threw the panel like butter with a nice edge. A few minutes on the wire wheel and it is ready for 1,000,000 rivets.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Interior Paint:

Flat or Gloss: I bought a can of both, I like the way the gloss looks but I think that it might be too reflective.

The interior will be grey the exterior will be blue. Where should I stop the interior color? At the spot weld seam or along the outer edge where rteh exterior surface turns toward the interior. It seems logical to me that the color shold change at the spot weld seam but it will be easier (read as cheaper) to paint the exterior without having to be crazy masking the door jams. You think it will look goofy?

[/b]

Our CRX has a flat-ish black interior and it is hard to clean and make look presentable for tech. We are going to revamp the car this winter and i am going to go with gloss black so it just takes a quick wipe down.

bryan

I ended up using a gloss paint on the interior - looks nice. It took a while (couple days) to harden.

So tell me why I should not use spray cans on the outside of the car? I painted a small portion of the exterior with a can last night to test out what colors I like. I didnt prep the car at all, just sprayed it. It seems like it will be okay to do with some care. Am I missing something?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Sure for a gagillion dollars you can buy all the cans of paint you need and when your done you will have a 20' paint job (from 19' it will still look exactly like what you did) In spite of some of the crap that is running around the track, there is something to be said for a little pride in the craft.

Your still going to have to sand and prep and trim and mask, and it will take a whole lot more cans than you think to do a couple coats.

Beyond that there is the whole fade in the weather (think wind/rain/sun/rock chips) thing. I did some patch work on my trailer once with quality spray can. After a few weeks the luster was gone and the color faded faster than a backmarker RX7.....

the color faded faster than a backmarker RX7.....

[/b]

LOL.....paint shop it is.

I updated the photos in my signature.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

. After a few weeks the luster was gone and the color faded faster than a backmarker RX7.....

[/b]
    You've never be accused of not being an elitist, Tom.....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Just as I expected I knew one of you guys would take it to heart. Jeeze lighten up!!! Pretty soon one of you guys will be requesting the Comp Board make a rule not allowing anybody to use the "B word" (as in backmarker)

If you knew that people would take it to heart, yet you didn't mean it Tom, then why'd you type it???? If you were kidding, I am sure you would have put some kind of hint in there, like a smiley or whatever......right?
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

NOPE

Well, then expect people to read what you write and draw logical conclusions.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I will be at Limerock Saturday. Hopefully someone will be kind enough to let me see under there dash for some fabrication ideas. Any volunteers?

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Perhaps this is too late, but I like a lighter color (my car's interior/engine compartment is white-flat, I believe) which makes it easier to clean and see any leaks, etc.

I painted my backmarker cars interior with silver. Not too bright, not too dark, and glossy so it is a breeze to clean.....
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region