Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 91 CRX Si ITA Build

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Blaney View Post
    It's all about preperation, the little details will kill you. One thing I learned is to check the installation of each part as you go it save a lot of steps backward

Your are totally correct. Attaching the clutch cable was the last thing on my check list before I turned the key. I jumped into the light instead of walking to it. All I needed to do was give the adjustment screw a few turns and move the bevel washer to the other side of the lever. All good.

There were high fives going around when that engine started up. That was a big chore for the untrained. Doing 98% of it solo took about 30 hours. I didn’t really run into big problems other than some very stubborn bolts in the exhaust. Getting the engine back into the bay was a bit of a chore. The passenger side mount and front mount could have been designed a bit different to allow a bit more room to drop the engine in.

I feel like the next time I have to do engine work, I will not be intimidated.

One thing I learned…don’t fill up the tranny until the axles are back in….ask me how I know.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

- The urge to buy new tires will NEVER leave!! LOL
    Ain't that the truth.

Nice write-up and I'm sure you'll work you way up the pack soon enough. Too funny about the tranny fluid!! The first time I did the engine thing it took me much longer to remove it than put back in. Guess that's what happens when you go a bit crazy with a digital camera, printing pictures, and labeling it all. See ya at the NARRC Runoffs.
    Last edited by gran racing; 09-08-2008 at 12:36 PM.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Default engine install .

Chris .

Getting the engine back into the bay was a bit of a chore. The passenger side mount and front mount could have been designed a bit different to allow a bit more room to drop the engine in.

You kind of have to understand how the car was originally built .
    The drivetrain was installed as a unit with the cradle from the bottom .
    Dang production based cars .
    Todd Robbins. [email protected]

I am fairly certain that this sucks......and I dont mean my driving.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM2XOK91-tw[/ame]
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I wanna get rid of the stalks on the steering column

https://improvedtouring.com...138#post274138
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

put a blown fuse for the wipers and they won't go on, but if its a rainy weekend don't forget to change it.

I am looking for some photos of the connection to the cage front and rear of a right side net. Anyone?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

So I have a suspension on the car now, radio install is next.

I have installed some of Tom Blaney's bushings. Top Quality without a doubt. Recommended.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Well, you handled the "event" well. Nice pull off! Well, at least you didn't have to sit there in the pouring rain, LOL>
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks. I left my helmet on for a few minutes while I was hanging out on the bridge so no one would see me screaming at myself.:026:
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I think about seat time per dollar...

Attendance at a school count as a race toward regional/national license?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Most schools won't let you attend again if you already hold a current license.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    I think about seat time per dollar...

Attendance at a school count as a race toward regional/national license?
    I would highly doubt it.

You can do as many schools as you want. Just understand that Novice Permit holders will receive first priority if there is a waiting list - but we haven't had a full school since ???

Seat time per dollar? TEST DAY.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post

Seat time per dollar? TEST DAY.
    Yeah, thats what I figured. More track time than a typical track day run by SCDA or PDA or similar?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Yeah, thats what I figured. More track time than a typical track day run by SCDA or PDA or similar?
    not at Lime Rock, LOL. As a one man band, I went to LRP for a test session last year. of course, they delayed the start until "after lunch", then even later as the "Club guys" (all 3 of them, 2 in Miatae) circulated. you can imagine the suspense as we all twidled our thumbs. At least the club guys could have run Bugattis or something fun!

Then it was rush rush rush, get your sessions in and get outa here, LOL. I really wish it was like the old days, when one guy could do the stuff he has to do between sessions, but the schedule made it tough. Thanks to Forrest and the guys at Flatout, they pitched in with tire temps!

Bottom line, be prepared to spend top dollar for not so much time, and have your ducks in a row if you expect to be able to actually use that time.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Although I'm sure there will be an increase this year, the NHMS test days are the bext bang for the buck.

If my memory is right, $100 for a 1/2 day and $150 for the full. And some times the morning is an open session depending on how many cars are there.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

It depends. Not more 'time on track' than SCDA (which I highly recommend) but maybe more 'quality time'.

First you need to establish your goals. If you don't mind only being able to pass in certain areas and knowing you will get frustrated a fair bit, SCDA is for you. Lots of on track time.

If you want to simulate real passing situations, a test day is what you want. LRP only does half day test days that start at 1:00pm and go until 5pm.

IMHO, the best weekend for your money would be a test day at NHMS (8+ 20min sessions for $150), then the school, then the Regional.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 02-12-2009 at 06:22 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post

IMHO, the best weekend for your money would be a test day at NHMS (8+ 20min sessions for $150), then the school, then the Regional.
    Yea, you'll leave with a worn out car, LOL. But, you'll have nailed the setup by the end.

And Chris, I know Lime Rock requires you to not even drive, it's so close, but if you gang up the events like Andy suggests, it won't cost a lot, and you will have to take a day off anyway for SCDA, an LRP test, or an NHMS test.

To bad NHMS sucks, LOL. But too bad a test 4 hours at LRP is what $250? Acck. Skips going to run that place into the ground.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I have a different untested engine and clutch in the car along with a totally new suspension. I would like to stay at LRP till I get it sorted out since I can load drive and unload in less than an hour.

I would really like to make the 6 hour trip to the test day school and regional but I am not going to do it with so many unknowns about the car. I guess I will sign up for a track day in april at LRP hoping to get things sorts so I can goto the school weekend in NH.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I would really like to make the 6 hour trip to the test day school and regional but I am not going to do it with so many unknowns about the car..

Don't be a wuss!! And if it takes you 6 hours to get to NHMS, you must tow like my granma!!

:cool:

(you're not a rookie anymore, get ready for the trash talk!!! )
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place