Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Programmable ECU

Chris, first of all, sounds like a great offering at an attractive price point.

What are the OMP implications? I assume that premixing is mandatory and that limp mode is eliminated.

Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

How about in a OBDI Miata? [/b]
    1 week until ours gets finalized. The beauty is that you will be able to buy it ready to go.

As for the RX-7 version, we hope to become a Ludwig customer.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I would be interested in this for the street car if it performed all the functions of the stock ECU (OMP, VDI, 5&6 ports).

How is it reprogrammed? Is it as easy as slapping a serial cable on the ECU and tweaking some software on a laptop?
    ReSpeed
    2006 ARRC IT-7 Champion
    2006 PRO-IT IT-7 Champion

The OMP function is something we're working on. Currently it's in a stock operation mode. The originally intended market is street cars but I'm pushing for a "track" mode. I'm getting what I want it's just taking time. The developer has already produced a "chip" that has the OMP feedback loop deleted. Leaves the pump operational but eliminates limp mode. This is something that should be incorporated for the "track" mode final product.

The 6PI and VDI functions are not only retained but are tuneable. You can reset those parameters at your desire. The AWS system is also user defineable. The underlying use for this in a street application is as an aux output. Since the AWS system is not that desireable you can use the output to control something else if desired. For "track" mode we're looking at using the AWS at WOT the same as the others are using the BAC valve. Introducing more air into the plenum than the throttle body can move by itself. The BAC function is NOT user programmable.

Of note for the street user is that the system will support AFM removal turning the system into a speed density type system. It also supports optional injector configurations up to 720/720. More injector than you'll need for an NA car but simple turbo swaps become possible.

The interface is strictly Palm OS. You need a Palm or something compatible. Since I had no prior Palm experience I was skeptical but it turns out to be pretty handy. Palms are available for a song on Ebay (mine was actually given to me by a friend). In addition you'll need a synch cable for your particular Palm that connects it to a standard serial port.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

When will they be available?

Sorry, we don't have a release date yet.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div

No problem, keep us posted

1 week until ours gets finalized. The beauty is that you will be able to buy it ready to go.

[/b]
    so........it's been a week......

:money burn:
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

so........it's been a week......

:money burn: [/b]
    Good reminder...I found - at the wheels (in DynoJets)

8hp at the peak
    8ft/lbs at the peak
    As much as 11.1whp and 11.7 ft/lbs in some spots
    Raised the whole curve up almost 4hp and 4ft/lbs
    Extended my 'core' hp curve (as defined by me of over 130whp) from the 6000 to 6800 range to 5400 to 7200
    Extended my 'core' tq curve (as defined by me of over 120ft/lbs) from the 4700 to 5300 range to 4400 to 6000

We also were strapped for time so we only really focused on nailing the A/F and ignition timing over 4500RPM.
    Andy Bettencourt

HOLY CRAP!!!!

what's this magic box cost? 1.8 only for now i assume?
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Andy, I have been talking a bit to Kelly about you new ECU. Sounds very impressive. (Just what everyone in the NEDiv needs, you to get faster. :-)) The comparison you make above was to a stock ECU? In a 1.8 with ITA built engine? Was the comparison back to back (ie, dyno runs on same day/same conditions except for the ECU)? I know dyno results are sensitive, but I was wondering if you would be willing to post any showing the comparison you describe. Just a thought.

I am going to try to get up to NHIS at some point this season. I have family in NH so it would make a nice week combining a visit with a race or two. I'll look for you if I do. If you get down to Summit for a MARRS race, look for yellow # 5 Ita Miata.

Thanks, Bill

WOW!

More info when you can give it Mr. B.

You may have a market as more SMs come back to this side of the fence.

Great job developing.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

The comparison you make above was to a stock ECU? [/b]
    No. It was with a 'flashed' OBD-1 ECU. Basically the same effect as pulling fuel pressure out. Baseline numbers with stock ECU were more peaky and about 5 hp/5 ft/lbs below what you see as the '2nd' baseline above.

In a 1.8 with ITA built engine?[/b]
    Yes. .020 over balanced and blueprinted bottom end. Boig header and proper port match. Kelly did my latest cylinder head, did the porting, the valve job and shaved it to grab the half point compression bump.

Was the comparison back to back (ie, dyno runs on same day/same conditions except for the ECU)? I know dyno results are sensitive, but I was wondering if you would be willing to post any showing the comparison you describe. [/b]
    No stock ECU runs that day but the programmable to flashed is applicable. I am confident that you would raise the HP and TQ curves up a full 10 each from the stock box.
    I am going to try to get up to NHIS at some point this season. I have family in NH so it would make a nice week combining a visit with a race or two. I'll look for you if I do. If you get down to Summit for a MARRS race, look for yellow # 5 Ita Miata.[/b]
    Bring your Miata and come to Lime Rock and have your family meet you there!!!!
    Andy Bettencourt

Very impressive! Any plans for a 1.6 solution?

Andy, Thanks for the additional info. The fact that your comparisons are to a flashed ECU is particularly impressive! I really will try to get to Lime Rock also this year. Bill

This solution will sell for about $2500. Ain't the cheapest but ain't the most expensive. Puts the effort and solution Chris has into persective. I love my system, and there is more to do but Chris really knocked it out of the park!
    Andy Bettencourt

of course i wish it was $500, but that doesn't sound like a bad deal at all for a plug and play solution.

I think of it this way, a pro motor might net you roughly 10hp over a nice crate and cost you $6000. this will get you about the same benefit for less than 1/2 the cost. sounds good to me.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Chis, anything in the works for us S4 owners? May be time to make the swap to a complete s5 setup but I like the simplicity of the S4.

Jamie
    Jamie Kekeisen
    86 ITS RX-7 NER
    92 325IS oops, blown up

Chis, anything in the works for us S4 owners? May be time to make the swap to a complete s5 setup but I like the simplicity of the S4.

Jamie
    [/b]

An S4 unit is actually in the works. How long it will be is another question.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div

Hey Chris, any word on this guy?

I would buy it right now if I could. (For my S5)

thanks,
    James
    -----------
    '89 RX-7 ITS