I've always loved to watch racing. A few years back, a friend won the "Marlboro Racing School" and took me as a guest. It almost got me hooked.

A few years later, I was sampling a few too many home brews and playing with my new wireless internet connection.

I ended up on ebay looking at BMW M Roadsters, since my friend Dave just bought one. Now, I know what they were worth, so I figured I was safe entering a low-ball....Right. So it's Thanksgiving time, and I got this M Roadster for a really good price, and it checked out to be a good car according to a third party mechanic. My wife would kill me...unless....(remember last month in Vegas, she hated that Viper, but really liked the BMW 2 seater)...I'll give it to her (us) as a Christmas present.

I pulled ot off, she liked it and was completely surprised. I even cheesed it up with the big red bow, the fake boxes getting smaller until the one with the key. So now it was time to joinn BMWCCA to get some info on track time. We went to the Christmas party and I was shocked that the local BMWCCA does not allow convertibles. Had my plan backfired? I found out that PCA will accept rag tops with factory roll protection, so I was in.

After my first DE, I went and got a few mods including stainless steel lines, race pads, a cold air intake and a chip modification. The hook was set. I had a few customers, Tim and Derek that were into sports cars, and we decidied to do a 3 day skippy school together. I still kept doing DE's and ended up having and "event" where I was off track going backwards at about 80 MPH heading for the trees...in my wifes car...After that, Tim and I started to look for a race car since it had to be safer and more fun than a street car.

Around Thanksgiving (one year after the ebay purchase) we found a 944 that we agreed to get. The problem was that Derek now wanted in on the action, and 3's a crowd. I was left out, so I decided to get the RX-7 we were also looking at. Once again, I had to figure out how to tell my wife. Skillful negotiation and a remodeled kitchen later, she gave me the green flag. She even bougt me the fire suit for Christmas.

I joind the Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs, did the spring school and had my novive license by April of last year. I'm 3 races away from my second full year. I still do DE's and I race as much as I can. Although Anne did not like it at first, and is not a true supporter of the addiction, she deals with it. It's my mid-life crisis, and like I told her, it's better than another girlfriend!!

Steve