Thread: Any Other Saturn racers out there?

Just checking in trying to get help developing my car...
    I know James Walkers old ITA rocket is out there somewhere!!!
    O.B.
    97 Saturn Sc2
    95 Saturn Sc2 being built
    ITA. CFR
    www.saturnorlandonorth.com

Jeff Lawton, Greg Amy and Matt Kessler on this site.

Snoop around Greg's site to find Jeff and his car... http://www.kakashiracing.com/
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

OB,
    I believe I had sent you a PM when you first came to the site. As Andy said, check out the website for the details on my car. Yup, not much for after market support. I do have contact info for a couple other Saturns running out there.

You can PM me or at: jlawton at echn.org

I not even close to being an expert on Saturn's, however, I have a ton of info from James that may quicken the learning curve!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Hey thanks for the reply!!

I talked to James every once in a a while he is a really nice guy!! He has helped us greatly with just pointing us in the right direction with spring rates...

I have been running in the top 3 but chasing Evan in the Acura and some of theese ITA Miatas, BMW's not bad for the Saturn but I WANT MORE!!!! lol....

I am working on an ECU now but no one can crack the OBD-2
    Any info that you can give would be great...

I should have just bought Jame's car lol.. How have you been doing with it up there?

O.B.
    O.B.
    97 Saturn Sc2
    ITA. CFR

Yup, I was very lucky to get James car!!

Good luck on the computer.........Cause you're on your own!! I might have the only beefed up Saturn computer out there. James programed it when he was with Saturn and had access to all the right "tools". I'm thinking some of the Saturn drag racers might have cracked them. I would try them. Adding another 1,000 rpms to the top end certainly doesn't hurt!!

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the ITA competition in the North East is strong. We had once race with 28 ITA cars, last weekend we had 26. This is home to the Serra Honda's and Teg's, a FlatOut Miata and Greg Amy's NX2000. Track records have been broken at almost every track this season......... Came in fourth at one of the races this past weekend. Best finish yet. We are hoping to take it to ARRC this fall. Not with the intent of winning, but more for learning. But it will be nice to see how we stack up!!

Do you have any leads on bigger rear sway bars?? I've got the 16mm adjustable and we want to go bigger but SPS doesn't make the 17mm anymore.

What springs are you guys using? We have 450 front and 600 back but may got to 800s in the back.

The good news is, if you get the engine right, it will out pull almost all the cars in ITA. The only one I haven't been able to so far is the NX2000. And there ain't a lot of those around!! Now, if I could only get it to handle like all the other cars in ITA!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

I just might have an extra 17mm laying around..... swap for your ECU maybe Muhuhahah!! Yeah in my dreams......
    I run 450's in the front and 700 in the rear with full hard rear sway with 2.0 neg to 2.5 neg front and run the rears staright up,,,, it's like driving a dirt car swing her out and and let her slide...
    We have has strong fields this year too in the high 20 to 36 cars in class.. crazy
    Thanks for the info..
    And I do have a 17mm on hand
    O.B.
    O.B.
    97 Saturn Sc2
    ITA. CFR

So, what, everyone forgot about me? Geez!

For the computer cracks, go over to turbosaturns.net. There is some information in the forums (but don't count on a lot). I tried signing up over there 2 weeks ago now and still haven't been let in...

My spring rates are only 425 in front and 450 in back with a stock rear sway bar and it can get very happy in turns. Since the wheelbase of the first gens is the same as the second gens, I'm surprised that you need to go that high on the rates. Did you X the rear part of the cage and install a "rear strut tower brace" between the rear roll cage tubes?

SPS is still in business??
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

And I do have a 17mm on hand
    O.B.
    [/b]
    How much do you want for it??

So, what, everyone forgot about me? Geez!

For the computer cracks, go over to turbosaturns.net. There is some information in the forums (but don't count on a lot). I tried signing up over there 2 weeks ago now and still haven't been let in...

My spring rates are only 425 in front and 450 in back with a stock rear sway bar and it can get very happy in turns. Since the wheelbase of the first gens is the same as the second gens, I'm surprised that you need to go that high on the rates. Did you X the rear part of the cage and install a "rear strut tower brace" between the rear roll cage tubes?

SPS is still in business??
    [/b]

Bill,
    Hadn't heard from you in a while. Are you running the car this year?

I manage to go with 2.0 - 2.5 neg camber........in the back!! I do 3.0 to 3.8 in the front depending on the track. I don't have a rear strut tower brace but the cage ties in nicely to the back window shelf (or whatever you call it) where the mounts are located. It has a very stout cage!!

SPS is basically out of business. Don't have any stock and no interest in trying to help...........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

Yeah, James said that cage was designed with inside knowledge and analysis, probably a bit of FMEA work...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Maybe some FMEA, but probably more likely FEA...

I've run the car for 2 weekends this year. I have an intermittent miss that I'm trying to solve now, but have all winter to do so. This year was tough due to scheduling and me not really wanting to work on the car...

Next year, I'll be back with a vengance, though!!
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Doh! The day job leaking in there, that's what I meant...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I am still looking for that sway bar I know I have it and I just bought a new house but I would let it go for 80 bucks or so.
    O.B.
    97 Saturn Sc2
    ITA. CFR

I am still looking for that sway bar I know I have it and I just bought a new house but I would let it go for 80 bucks or so.
    [/b]
    Sold!!

E-mail me when/if you find it.

jlawton at echn.org

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion