Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MARRS 7&8

Greetings Fellow Survivors.
    What can one possibly say about the Double? First off, thank God no one was seriously hurt when the SPU Mercedes was apparently bumped off at turn in of 7 (the left hander in the carousel), went through the tire barrier, was launched through the fence, sideswiped a parked car, slid up the hill and impacted the grandstand! Hats off to the emergency people who were there in a flash checking everyone out. It was a terrible thing to witness but a miracle no one was seriously injured. Glad to see Bob was OK after a trip to the hospital.
    Thanks to Charlie Broring for coming over to apologize for unintentionally turning me around at the M7 start in turn one. Having reviewed the Not So Entertaining Video, I was a little indecisive about where to go as I got to turn 1, and Charlie was being pushed from behind. I had kidded around with Matthew Yip about starting at the rear, but I was just kidding! It's not so funny watching 20 something cars roaring through your tire smoke as you sit patiently in the grass. Thanks to the guys who gave me a little room trying to work my way back up. Now Greg, I just don't know about you... We'll talk.
    M8 was less dramatic for me. What the hell was that big orange thing in my mirrors and then pulling away from me? The General Li? Good drag race with Matthew Rowe at the end too. One more lap I think you would have had me! Was it just me or did anyone see them towing the red MR2 through the carousel??? I had to pass them on the right at turn 7 with a couple guys breathing down my neck!
    A special thanks to OG Racing for sponsoring the Double and feeding so many hungry and thirsty people. I don't care what Matthew Yip says, OG Racing is the best!
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

I will admit you gave me my first midpack start situation test. not that you planned it but im amazed I didnt take out a few cars swerving to miss collecting you.

I had a great race for M7 it was incident free even if I found out exactly how fast Kirks car goes through the carousel compared to my little car. (it doesnt!!!! I nearly clipped him mid turn.)

M8 was a minor dissapointment. I was holding 6th or 7th in ITB with noone around me after a few drop outs and then my car droppped out due to the alternator aparently stoped working and not enough battery to make the end of the race.

the group 3 race was a little more exciting then I ever want to experience again down there. I am very happy noone was hurt at all from that incident. I have never seen matt move so fast before!!!

I agree, thanks OG for putting on a great weekend full of good friends, good racing, and stories to hold us over the winter.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Greetings Fellow Survivors.
    [/b]

Hmmmmm glad I didn't make this one? Marshall, check this out!

Marrs 7 was a disappointment for me as Rich Allen removed me from the race at T6 on the first lap.
    However, I got to watch my Turn One performance teammates have excellent races from the tub inside
    the carrousel. Beth Burkhard drove the race of her life to finish second in ITC. John Burkhard finished
    fourth and Jeff Janoska picked up seventh after a great second half of the race .

Marrs 8 was a little more to my liking. I repaired the broken axle from Sunday and started on the pole
    for ITC. Thankfully the steward let us do the split grid thing and it really does make the ITC drivers breath
    easier. I led from the green and had a great race going with Dave Coleman until about half distance. Turns
    out Dave lost second gear and dropped back to the battle for third. I saw what looked like 3 wide at the
    finish in my mirror. Beth took third , John was fifth , and Jeff had a trying race and I think came home 9th .

It is such a relief to win on Labor Day after years of bringing home broken race cars from this weekend.

Roger Troxell
    #90 ITC civic

Many thanks to OG racing for sponsoring the double. Glad the driver of the Mercedes is OK. I did not see that incident, but it sounds plenty scary.

I am having a ton of fun racing in ITA with you folks and getting to know many of you. I had two very enjoyable races, working my way up a little after starting back a bit because i just suck in the rain.

Hope to see everyone at the end of the month for MARRS 9.

If anyone would like to write up an article or even a few paragraphs describing any aspect of the weekend you found interesting, my wife and I would love to have your stuff for the Straightpipe, which we edit. Send anything you write, and any photos we may use, to [email protected]

Bill H (Yellow #10 Miata)

AJMR2,

That was a good race we had going there at the end of M8, I just wish the start line was about 50 feet further down track, I might have had you. Thanks for a great race though. As for the Orange blur, he&#39;s not kidding about using the car in front as his brake pads. <_< Of course I might have been partially to blame there. Still definitely far from boring.

As for M7, it was great starting close enough to the front to actually see the green flag come out for a change and Art&#39;s little spin certainly helped me work up to 9th by the start of lap 2. Too bad I lost a valve stem somewhere in turn 1or 2 of that lap. The car doesn&#39;t take left handers too well when the right rear is flat. The ride at full speed through the gravel at 3 was fun and the flagger at 4 said they we surprised to see me keep it out of the tire wall. I hope I managed to stay out of everyone&#39;s way after that.

Now I just have to check to budget for the money for MARRS 9.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Results?

If T&S is as consistant as they usually are in a few days they and the timecards will be up at www.offtotheraces.net.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

I also wanted to thank OG for sponsoring this weekend. Nice job guys.

And I echo AJ&#39;s sentiments on the incident in group 3&#39;s race. I was sitting in the grandstands outside of T8-9 and I have to tell you I held my breath the whole time the Mercedes was flying across that field and up toward the grandstands. I can only say it was just short of a miracle noone was seriously hurt. I don&#39;t know who the photog was down there just behind the tires but he should get a raise after that one. At the very least he should be getting combat pay.

Unfortunately, a number of unavoidable events conspired to prevent me from having the car back together in time for Saturday&#39;s qualifying, and so I had to go to the back of the line for both races. It was a bit of a bummer not being up there racing with the usual suspects (particularly that little orange vee-dub), but on the other hand I have to say it was kind of nice actually getting to pass people on the first lap instead of being the one getting passed! Check out the video from lap one, not quite "Amy at the Glen", but tell me this wouldn&#39;t boost anyone&#39;s confidence: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...469573179&hl=en

Anyway, we&#39;re about down to the end - one last chance to get it right. I hope to see everyone back for M9.

Oh, and James, I really wasn&#39;t trying to hit you, just wanted to scare you a little
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Hmmmmm glad I didn&#39;t make this one? Marshall, check this out!
    [/b]
    ha ha!
    yeah, i was one of the "non-surviors". collected an out of control american sedan as he hooked it back across the track after going 4 off to the left in t10 during the big bore race monday. interesting sensation hitting someone broadside at 90mph. all the mandated and optional (hans) safety features in our cars are wonderful things...

i will be fixing the car for a long time...not exactly the way i wanted to start converting it to ITR!

marshall

I am truly sorry to hear that Marshalll.............
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Damn, sorry to hear that Marshall. how bad is it? Frame straight?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Angry

In was definitely an interesting weekend, that&#39;s fer sure - soupy, soggy, WET, NASTY, MUDDY - those are good adjectives for the OG Racing Labor Day double as well.

I had a few teething pains on Saturday with the new engine - a pinched valve cover gasket and then a misadjusted throttle cable provided me with some mediocre qualifying positions. However all concerns went by the wayside at the start when I was FINALLY able to motor past some of the ITB cars - not all, just some

Both races were alot of fun - very busy with someone either directly in front or behind me for the vast majority of the time. It was especially good to race with Matt and AJ - Matt, I didn&#39;t use you for brake pads, I was helping you accelerate - honest The most memorable moment of Monday&#39;s race was passing the hot-pink CRX in 6b, just as I saw the yellow flag for James&#39;s car @ Baker. I was fixated on the CRX so that I could pass him after Scott Holman did so in 6a and never saw the flag. Fortunately I passed about 5 feet BEFORE the flag and stuck both AJ and Matt with the slower car until turn 9 . Like I told Matt, Timing is EVERYTHING

Rob&#39;s incident with the stands was especially disconcerting - I&#39;ve crewed for RC Imports for going on a decade now and know more about those cars that I probably should. I don&#39;t think I&#39;ll ever lose the image of the car breaking thru the fence and launching. I never saw the landing b/c I had already pushed everyone out of my way in the stands and started moseying towards the impact zone - for those of you whom I displaced in my rush, please accept my appologies in earnest. It is truly a miracle that no one was killed in the stands. The only injury that I heard was a specatator who claimed to have had a cut on his arm and who demanded ambulance transportation about an hour AFTER the incident - talk about a gold-digger.

I echo Roger&#39;s sentiments about having a good run at the Double - while I didn&#39;t win (and never expect to win b/c my car simply isn&#39;t competitive to that degree), after last year, I was more than happy to have brought the car back intact.
    Haz-Matt Racing

interesting sensation hitting someone broadside at 90mph[/b]

I wonder what his sensation was like?

it was sort of like watching an artificial diamond be made.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

...talk about a gold-digger...[/b]
    I am sure we haven&#39;t heard the end of this saga....

I bet Bill Scott and the D.C. region will have to deal with several either threats of law suits, or actual law suits because of this.

I hope we still have a place to race after this.
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Right there is my biggest fear of all. I hope any issues from this will be minor and not jeapordize the track.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Angry

I am sure we haven&#39;t heard the end of this saga....[/b]
    But as we discussed in the tow truck, I&#39;m concerned that SPMSP (Summit Point Motorsports Park) won&#39;t take the necessary steps to keep this from happening again until someone is killed which is (as we all know) way too late.
    Haz-Matt Racing

it was sort of like watching an artificial diamond be made. [/b]
    You should win some kind of prize for that analogy! How was the camaro driver? Is he ok?