Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VR6 no fluke...

Bill,

Good luck

Gary Semerdjian
    www.247-parts.com

#98 VW Corrado ITS

Thanks Gary and yes I do still plan to send you the Golf 5 bits to look at. Just been so busy with other projects.

re: the ARRC,
    Qualified mid pack due to REALLY forgetting how to drive Rd. Atl. but by the time the race rolled around I was getting my legs back and pulled the 'C' up to 3rd place for quite a while until the brake pedal started to go soft and the 2-3 upshifts started to get hard to make. (really killed me coming off T7 and T10 a few times) Finally had to relinquish 3rd place to the 2 RX7s chasing me and wound up 5th. There are a few things I'd change in the setup for this track....and if I could do it again next week I think the VR6 is a definite podium contender.

Photos, videos and a weekend write up will follow...

Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

OK here is a long video complete with excuses as to why we didn't put it on the podium!
    It's 38 MB !! Please copy it locally if you plan to watch it more than once.

edit: updated link:
    http://ww2.bildon.com/ARRC_2006_ITS_Race.wmv

Great video!!! Thanks for sharing

Some of those vet drivers need to bump it down a notch, and drive something with a little less HP that they can handle... although with that said I also would not say that the "Vets" determined the outcome of this race.

I don't understand this one??? Care to share more detail?

"Bildon Motorsports files a protes after the race due to the passes under yellow. A post race discussion with the stewards including video analysis revealed that all cars involved shared some fault. Bildon Motorsports withdrew the protest."

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Thanks Bill for the video...
    I wondered why the VW didn't make the podium.
    Your car looked great, and has great power. I was shocked at the ease you pulled me while drafting, course that is the way it should be!! Hope you can figure out your brakes or lack of brakes situation...Need more air flow?

Gave me a chance to see that red vette that took me out was racing someone in his class.....battling one of his buddies to keep from getting lapped!!!

Congrats on the great run,
    David Spillman

30 year old ITS car

>> all cars involved shared some fault.

Well even though the slower RX7 was moving over and we all thought we got a "wave by" you CANT pass a wounded car on a local yellow. We've all done it. But technically only during a full course yellow is this allowed.
    From my point of view, I was trying to avoid debris and was not TRYING to pass the slow RX7..he basically parked it to my left...So when I saw Kent go past on the outside (he was in front before the video shows it) I felt that he took advantage of this situation. In retrospect we all broke the law although it really was impossible not to pass the wounded RX7 so I'm not bitter. Shiz Happens!

>> Need more air flow?

The VR6 car (Golf, Jetta, Corrado) rotors are vented on the OUTSIDE of the rotor. Ducting air to the inside doesn't do much. However, I believe the problem really lies with the disabling of the ABS. When you shut off ABS in these early Bosch systems you also kill the high pressure pump, either this is required for consistent line pressure or air is entering the system through a no longer active valve or pump etc... needs more testing. But testing this is hard as it requires a LONG straight with lots of repetitions to reveal the problem. T10a was the hardest braking zone we had seen all year.

>> and has great power.

Thanks we worked very hard on the custom ECU mapping. Unfortunately even though we are running off fixed maps my wiz kid forgot one thing that started throwing a fault over the last few events that caused it to go rich after a few laps. You can see the AFR meter dip to 11.x at times! We only caught the problem recently when another hacked Motronic racer discovered a similar problem with his. This WILL be fixed soon.

Bill - you win the production Oscar for the event! Way to go on the video. Nice drive and you should be proud of a top five!

Cheers,

Ben
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion