Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shelby Charger

Default Shelby Charger

Shelby is going to the chassis shop today for a new cage. Design will have NASCAR door bars and be as close to GT/Prod cage as I can afford.

More news and pics to follow.

------------------
    Bill Stevens
    Mbr 103106
    BnS Racing
    83 ITA Shelby Dodge Charger

I can read the headlines now:

SHELBY AND NASCAR PAIR UP AGAIN!

Good luck, Bill.

Shelby is getting better. List of items to be done at chassis shop: fix badly rusted passenger side floor, fabricate cage including gutting driver's door for NASCAR door bars, mount window net, and mount harness and belts.

Trailer is back at the house, getting more rust repair, more paint, new 'D' rings, new lights, and a new tire rack.

I ought to post some before pictures!

------------------
    Bill Stevens
    Mbr 103106
    BnS Racing

Trailer update: Old tie-down rings are gone (had to cut them off). Mounted one of the new d-rings (M&R rated at 14,000, they are going to work great!). Will mount the other three tonight.

------------------
    Bill Stevens
    Mbr 103106
    BnS Racing

Progress:
    Trailer - got one more tiedown installed. But got all the old clearance lights cut off, rust spots ground down, and rustoleum primer applied. Also got the hook for the safety chain.
    Car - acquired u-bolt to mount the master kill switch (it will be on the cage under the a-pillar, at the bottom of the driver's window, where workers can get to it!)

------------------
    Bill Stevens
    Mbr 103106
    BnS Racing

Well, it's been a while, so a detailed update would fill the site. The car is back from the chassis shop with new floor, and a new cage. Not completely satisfied with the cage. I am going to do a weld by weld inspection of it tonight, but I have found at least one joint that was only partially welded. Driver's door bars are great - triple horizontal with NASCAR style verticals. There is going to be a lot of work cutting the dash to get it to fit around the down tubes and the high mounted knee bar.

I'm not sure about the main hoop either. There is a gap from 1 3/4in to 2 1/2in from the top of the cage to the roof. And the front down tube could have been about 4in farther forward.

Oh, and the tabs on the horizontal shoulder harness bar were welded so close together that I am going to have to move them in order to mount the seat back brace.

Well, at least the work on the trailer is 95% done, and the car is back to be able to work on it again.

That and start working on sponsors - already got the Official Desert of BnS Racing lined up. At least the team will eat well!

Pictures will be uploaded to website as soon as I can compress them (1M each).

------------------
    Bill Stevens
    Mbr 103106
    BnS Racing
    www.motorpride.com/BnSRacing

Originally posted by RacerBill:
    Not completely satisfied with the cage....
    found at least one joint that was only partially welded...
    main hoop... There is a gap from 1 3/4in to 2 1/2in from the top of the cage to the roof. And the front down tube could have been about 4in farther forward.

Oh, and the tabs on the horizontal shoulder harness bar were welded so close together that I am going to have to move them in order to mount the seat back brace.
    Biting my tounge here Bill

------------------
    Scott Rhea
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it

Izzy's Custom Cages

Originally posted by RacerBill:
    Well, it's been a while, so a detailed update would fill the site. The car is back from the chassis shop with new floor, and a new cage. Not completely satisfied with the cage. I am going to do a weld by weld inspection of it tonight, but I have found at least one joint that was only partially welded. Driver's door bars are great - triple horizontal with NASCAR style verticals. There is going to be a lot of work cutting the dash to get it to fit around the down tubes and the high mounted knee bar.

I'm not sure about the main hoop either. There is a gap from 1 3/4in to 2 1/2in from the top of the cage to the roof. And the front down tube could have been about 4in farther forward.

Well, at least the work on the trailer is 95% done, and the car is back to be able to work on it again.

That and start working on sponsors - already got the Official Desert of BnS Racing lined up. At least the team will eat well!

Pictures will be uploaded to website as soon as I can compress them (1M each).

You'll need to get that weld completed before it will pass tech.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

'Biting my tounge here Bill'

No kidding! I took the car to a shop that advertised in the OVR newsletter, and had done work for a friend in Cinn. Also had other SCCA cars in his shop at the same time.

I wish I could have afforded the time for two round trips from Columbus to St. Louis.

Well, there's still the 944 that will probably become a race car before it gets back on the street. And that one will be done right!

------------------
    Bill Stevens
    Mbr 103106
    BnS Racing

'You'll need to get that weld completed before it will pass tech.'

I plan to do a weld by weld inspection of the entire cage!

Also, I installed the seat and the whole harness assembly last night. The shoulder strap mounts are so close to together that in addition to preventing me from mounting the seat back brace on the horizontal bar, the straps cut into my neck!

I have posted pictures of the new cage on our team website www(dot)motorpride(dot)com/bnsracing.

Let me know what you think.

I was $100 away from buying one new in 1983. I still like those cars, just don't see many anymore. I think it looks good.

Cherokee: Thanks. Got to go buy more parts for it right now!

------------------
    Bill Stevens
    Mbr 103106
    BnS Racing

Work continues, pace increased.

Here's a look at the interior with the new cage. Well, then again, not. Guess that you'll just have to check motorpride.com/BNSRacing for the pics.

Cage is primed, interior painted, working on exterior. Need to gloss finish the cage and then the dash can go back in. Wait, I'll put the heater back before the dash, so there's more room to work.

After that comes the fun part of replacing all the fastening hardware and putting everything back.

Crew chief cleaned up all the wiring harnesses. Since the car spent about 15 years on the street, the harness under the dash has been cut and spliced all over the place. Guess I'll just plug everything back in and run my own wires to critical functions.

The paint gun and air-power sander from Harbor Freight have both paid for themselves saving hours of time.

Hope to have more pictures after Monday.

------------------
    Bill Stevens
    Mbr 103106
    BnS Racing

More updates!

Check list down to 16 items!

Entry form for 9/10-11 regional going out today (late, but better late than sorry!)

Rol cage and sholder harness tabs finished last Friday.

Today's tasks include fabricating the passenger door cover, mounting the heater, dusting, and radiator - filling the system and checking for leaks.

Appointment set for an alignment before heading to Mid-Ohio Friday afternoon.

:119: (really need a smiley for the Red Mist!)
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Downdates (can't really call them updated!) Car is on the trailer, stuck in gear and front wheels will not turn. Guess I'll start looking at the spare engine/drive train.
    Narration on this weekend will be on my website shortly.
    92 ITA Saturn

Updates - Where do I go from here? I had my annual tech done this past weekend while I was up in Mid-Ohio. They handed me the weight slip showing both corner and total weight. Red Mist had set in pretty good by them, so I didn't really hear the comment as I came off the scales. Looked at the slip last night, and had to look twice more. Turns out I removed a lot more rust than I had thought. GCR weight = 2430, actual weight = 2408, 28 lbs UNDER! Good news, that was with the roller wheels and tires, not the race setup, and without the front air dam. Bad news, it had a full fuel load.

But, and this was really a surprise, the cross corner weights are exactly 50/50!

Now I'm going to have to fool around with the weight and screw up the cross weights!

92 ITA Saturn

Don't trust the cross weights at the track. The probably don't have the scales leveled.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Yep, these cars are really easy to get below weight. Almost makes you wish PCA's were up and running so they could adjust us back into mid-pack ability considering the current performance envelope. (22 lbs/stock hp in ITA?)

I'm assuming you are just looking at cross weight distribution being 50/50 and not front/rear which is likely still heavily front biased. Either way, I would agree that trusting the track scales to judge corner weights might get you into trouble. I haven't seen Mid-Ohio's scale setup but unless they really keep on top of things it's very easy for something to get knocked out of aligment. It still won't change the total but the cross weights will be off.

In any case, congratualtions on getting through annual. Now the big question, have you gotten the car freed up and off the trailer yet?
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Originally posted by Matt Rowe@Sep 13 2005, 10:12 AM
    Yep, these cars are really easy to get below weight. Almost makes you wish PCA's were up and running so they could adjust us back into mid-pack ability considering the current performance envelope. (22 lbs/stock hp in ITA?)

I'm assuming you are just looking at cross weight distribution being 50/50 and not front/rear which is likely still heavily front biased. Either way, I would agree that trusting the track scales to judge corner weights might get you into trouble. I haven't seen Mid-Ohio's scale setup but unless they really keep on top of things it's very easy for something to get knocked out of aligment. It still won't change the total but the cross weights will be off.

In any case, congratualtions on getting through annual. Now the big question, have you gotten the car freed up and off the trailer yet?
    [snapback]60067[/snapback]
    Matt: Thanks for getting back to me.

Scales: The scales at the track are very permenantly mounted in the tech shed, but I don't know of anyone who has zeroed their own scales and then gone and checked their car on the Ohio Valley Region scales (they are not owned by the track). Also, the cross weights are 50/50. Front to rear is F63.5/R36.5.

And I put in a cage with cross bracing on the rear braces, two bars on the right side and three NASCAR bars on the left. 1.5" x .120.

As to getting the car off the trailer, my thoughts are 1) disassemble the differential/transmission, 2) disconnect/remove half shafts 3) take off the front air dam, and facia, get a tow truck with a long boom, pick up the front and pull the trailer out from under the car, put the front wheels on dollies and roll it into the garage. (Don't laugh ot #3, I'm just getting started with this and Mark Twain once said "Good judgement comes from experience. And where does experience come from? Experience comes from bad judgement") Chose one, not all, unless first one does not work!

Seriously, any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    92 ITA Saturn