Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SM protests of late

***Protest the known cheaters and the class will clean up - ANY class. You can't be sour if you don't act.***

I use the words of Andy only because they are handy.

I started the process of building a Spec Miata. Bought a bunch of stuff including a highly regarded on the Spec Miat site bent & notched roll cage which they all raved about including the GREAT instruction manual with good photos. The car was prepared for the cage instalation by time the cage arrives. The roll cage bends, notches & cage workmenship instruction manual including photos is fantastic.

ONE very large issue, the photos show that one MUST take the torch & burn out the WELDED box members of the chassis between the A pillar & the air cowl at the firewall. NOT LEGAL per my understanding of the SS, IT, SM rules. NOT LEGAL per three top guns from the CenDiv who drive Spec Miata per their understanding of the SS, IT, SM rules. NOT COMPLIANT per SCCA Topeka understanding of the SS, IT, SM rules.

Golly, what would the thread on the Spec Miata good ol boys site have to say about someone protesting their chassis because the chassis is not complete as delivered per OEM.

This sort of illegal issue would get the same work around as the Spherical bearing.

Golly, what would the thread on the Spec Miata good ol boys site have to say about someone protesting their chassis because the chassis is not complete as delivered per OEM.

This sort of illegal issue would get the same work around as the Spherical bearing.
    [/b]
    Not necessarily, David - go do a search on that site for "seat belt towers" and see what it turns up.

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Jake - Good point about the conflict of interest. I was reading this as the protestor was required to supply a new factory part in a factory sealed box, else all bets were off. On the Miata issue, the profile is on file in Topeka, and it's available at the SCCA website. I assume that means you don't have to send in a stock comparison cam on a Miata protest, but the good book doesn't actually say that...

Evan - They might still be able to get one, I was just trying to illustrate a point.

Daryl - Tech will sometimes do a field check of cam lift with calipers. That doesn't tell them anything about duration, but it's something. We do it that way here sometimes because it won't stop a guy from racing the next day (assuming he's got compliant cams) and it is a lot quicker and cheaper than sending them off for a check on the cam doctor.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

***Not necessarily, David - go do a search on that site for "seat belt towers" and see what it turns up.***

Jarrod, do they continue to race the cars with the torched seat belt towers?

IIRC one of those torching the seat belt towers last year is one of the same who was/is involved in the latest NE protest stuff.

***Not necessarily, David - go do a search on that site for "seat belt towers" and see what it turns up.***

Jarrod, do they continue to race the cars with the torched seat belt towers?

IIRC one of those torching the seat belt towers last year is one of the same who was/is involved in the latest NE protest stuff.
    [/b]
    Probably, but I haven't been paying that much attention to them this year.

I was moderately interested that a fellow competitor who I've only raced with two weekends - one last year and one this year - noted this year that my new car didn't have the towers removed. (He and I had chatted/wondered about the legality of said removal a year ago while standing around in impound beside my old car.)

I don't remember if one of those involved now was involved last year or not - there were enough of them gone from these parts that I lost track....

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region