Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with new restrictor for E36 BMW 325

A question for anyone out there unfortunate enough to be running an E36 BMW 325 in ITS: Has anyone had this problem - now that we are forced to use the Funky Horn air restrictor, our old software can not adjust for the reduced airflow ad causes a fuel-air mixture problem, the plugs run hot and actualy can melt. This happened to me at the last race, causing a DNF. This is a potrentially very BIG problem as I am not sure how many of us realize that we need to recalibrate our software. Im glad the plug let go first, beasts spending another 8K on a motor.

SO now that we have been reverse engineered and forced into mid-pack range by virtue of the car's success, now we need to spend additional $$ at the dyno, or payup for Motec so we can attempt to be competitive. Or we can run next year in IT-R!!! WHat fun!!! Ill love dixing it up with ex-DTM cars! Yeah that'll really attract a lot of more racers. Juast what SCCA needs, another useless class with 3 drivers in it! Hey at least we can all walk home with a trophy guys!!!! Yahoo!!! Ok sorry for the rant, but seems like the fun is over unless we can afford Motec or paying up for an E-46 chassis, before the ITRC geek squad comes after those cars, which I am sure will be anytime now.

SO, to the point - we lost our chip guy - the guy that apparently did ALL the chips for the who's who of E-36 ITS cars back in the day when they were legal and fun - Bimmerworld/Stickley etc. Anyway, anyone out there have any ideas, suggestions, thoughts...Aside from throwing in the towel and racing her in BMW club racing?

Frustated,............

It's summer rerun season...the new shows start in the fall......

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Wow, you managed to insult about 80% of the members of this board in your very FIRST post. Nice job.

While I disagree with just about everything you said, I would note that Taylor Robertson (red BMW 325) and Carlos Garcia (blue/silver/black one) are both running in the SEDiv and finishing races. You might want to check with them on your issue but it certainly sounds it is something specific to your car and not the BW chip. I'm pretty sure Taylor does not run MOTEC, but I can't say for certain.

Who are you and where are you by the way?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

SO now that we have been reverse engineered and forced into mid-pack range by virtue of the car's success,

[/b]
    Uh, no, not mid pack, and not because of your 'success'. Put a week aside for the reading of threads, but you'll discover that the car wasn't classed properly to start. You'll also discover the ITAC doesn't like the SIR either. And you might even read about DJ running fine at Watkins Glen, or John Norris doing well in California, with no reports of melting components. IF you had read, you might have sent them a PM to enquire as to the methods.

....now we need to spend additional $$ at the dyno, or payup for Motec so we can attempt to be competitive. Or we can run next year in IT-R!!! WHat fun!!! Ill love dixing it up with ex-DTM cars!
    [/b]
    Ex DTM cars?? You're trying to be cute I hope.....but the point is completely lost.

Yeah that'll really attract a lot of more racers. Juast what SCCA needs, another useless class with 3 drivers in it! Hey at least we can all walk home with a trophy guys!!!! Yahoo!!! [/b]
    Again, open your ears before your mouth....there is a TON of commentary out on the ITR concept. New IT classes don't come around unless there is a REAL need. The CRB and the BoD run a tight rein on all things IT. Now, if you'd bothered to read a bit, you'd know that more than any other IT item that has come up in the past 5 or 10 years, THIS item (ITR) has had the highest approval rating, by far, of any. The ONLY negative comments we have gotten have been from known chronic malcontents, OR people who essentially said "I don't like it because it doesn't serve me the way I want". Those comments are outnumbered by an easy 10 to 1.

....(discussing the E46): before the ITRC geek squad comes after those cars, which I am sure will be anytime now. [/b]
    Well you're talikng to an official "geeksquad" guy......I even have a black helicopter shirt to prove it. But the E46 isn't in any form of discussion for any future "Coming after"...sorry.

SO, to the point - we lost our chip guy - the guy that apparently did ALL the chips for the who's who of E-36 ITS cars back in the day when they were legal and fun - Bimmerworld/Stickley etc. Anyway, anyone out there have any ideas, suggestions, thoughts...Aside from throwing in the towel and racing her in BMW club racing?

Frustated,............
    [/b]
    Search here....we have been trying to post ALL relevent information as openly as possible. I personally took days off from work($$), traveled hours ($$) and attended SIR fitting and dyno sessions to help broadcast info to ease the transition.

Take the time and avail yourself of the knowledge.

Then you can whine and bitch.....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Just read the avatar, bay-bee! Whee!
    K

Just read the avatar, bay-bee! Whee!
    K
    [/b]
    lol
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Thanks Mr. Amy and Late APex guy. Will look at somes of these threads. I dont know those guys you mentioned - new to SCCA. Im in midwest FYI to who ever inquired about that.

As for ITR idea - wow , sorry if i insulted anybody! if people like it that's great, doesnt seem to me like classifying a BMW with a car liek a Boxter or some other V8 is going to result in good races, but before everyone jumps on my head about that, it is merely an opinion, and not a well informed one. I chose IT because i thought the regs would allow me to run in a relatively low cost environment. Now it seems I may have to run the car with big tires and bigger wheels, etc which = bigger dollars, so that is why for one, I dont really like the concept. Thanskl for the help tp those of you who offered it.

ITR will not be cheap, but then again, ITS is no longer cheap (to run up front).

There are BMWs in ITB and ITA and I imagine you can run a 320i or a 325e for far less than
    an ITR 330i or an ITS 325is.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Thanks Mr. Amy and Late APex guy. Will look at somes of these threads. I dont know those guys you mentioned - new to SCCA. Im in midwest FYI to who ever inquired about that.

[/b]
    Sorry, you just happened to post in a serious snake pit - that is, bringing up the 325i. Cheap it is not. To build a front running ITS, or ITR car, you'll be spending fairly big bucks as Jeff mentioned.

After you read a bit I think you'll agree that top build 325i's are able to take on top build Boxsters and V8s. But the key word there is top build. Buddy up with some local racers and learn what it takes to run upfront. IT is relatively low-cost, but there is that word "relatively". I don't think many on the board would argue that a top prepped 325 will run $20k to $40k, you can spend it all at once and buy a car, or trickle it in over time.

Ron

I don't think many on the board would argue that a top prepped 325 will run $20k to $40k,[/b]
    $20K ???? That is a deal! :P
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

Ok sorry for the rant, but seems like the fun is over unless we can afford Motec or paying up for an E-46 chassis, before the ITRC geek squad comes after those cars, which I am sure will be anytime now.

[/b]
    This is most definitely not the way to win friends on this website. You got off on the wrong foot with the above phrase. To be loved on this site you need to bash the E36. Do that and you will be welcomed with open arms.

Ricky

This is most definitely not the way to win friends on this website. You got off on the wrong foot with the above phrase. To be loved on this site you need to bash the E36. Do that and you will be welcomed with open arms.

Ricky
    [/b]

Why go there Ricky....or is it (P)Ricky?

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Why go there Ricky....or is it (P)Ricky?

R
    [/b]
    Ol’ Ricky just calls them as he see’s them.

Personally, I never liked the SIR and believe those good old boys drivin’ those fancy Yurrupean cars got screwed. If I had my way I would have had the E36 pull some type of trailer or sled. Now that would have been fair.

Remember, if you ain’t first, you’re last!

Ricky

As for ITR idea - wow , sorry if i insulted anybody! if people like it that's great, doesnt seem to me like classifying a BMW with a car liek a Boxter or some other V8 is going to result in good races, but before everyone jumps on my head about that, it is merely an opinion, and not a well informed one. I chose IT because i thought the regs would allow me to run in a relatively low cost environment. Now it seems I may have to run the car with big tires and bigger wheels, etc which = bigger dollars, so that is why for one, I dont really like the concept. Thanskl for the help tp those of you who offered it.

[/b]

Well, this is a much better attitude. Thank you 325. I know for a fact that the SIR isn't the cause of your plugs melting. My 325 runs the same with or without the SIR, except it lowers the hp and torque. I'm going to suggest that the BMW's are allowed to run with ITS for 1 more year, with the SIR, if they choose. If they don't want to they can run ITR. If you want to pm me, I'll try and help you with the engine problem. Keep in mind I'll be asking a few questions. 1. Who's working on your engine? A pro?

Dan, the plan right now is for a dual classification. I'll keep you posted as I learn more. For the foreseeable
    future, it looks like you guys can run the 325is in ITS restricted or R unrestricted at 2750.

Ricky Bobby though, he's got to run over on the figure 8 track with the beater station wagons. Yeaahhhhhhhhhhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Current recommendation from the ITAC to the CRB (and I think they are pro on it) is that all cars that are currently in ITS and recommended for ITR will remain in ITS,as well as being listed at the new weight and wheel allowance in ITR.

Your choice.

Hows that for friendly and cooperative??
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Ricky
    [/b]
    ...or create a brand spankin' new fakey anonymous login, and use your first posts to drop loads of crap all over the place. Bad troll - no Troll Chow for you! :P

K

...or create a brand spankin' new fakey anonymous login, and use your first posts to drop loads of crap all over the place. Bad troll - no Troll Chow for you! :P

K
    [/b]

But do I get some for ignoring the troll?? For once??
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I don't even see the trolls anymore.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967