Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new ITB car.

Aaron, just because you CAN run the 15" rim, take into account the overall diameter of the tire, and fender clearance. Also, what is the availability and size of tires your looking? The 205-55-14 is a pretty popular tire, Toyo, Avon, Hoosier, and Kuhmo all come in that size.

Looking @ the 15" specs from TireRack, the Kuhmo only comes in a 225 but the Hoosier and Avon do have a 205 in the 15" diameter.

Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Aaron, just because you CAN run the 15" rim, take into account the overall diameter of the tire, and fender clearance. Also, what is the availability and size of tires your looking? The 205-55-14 is a pretty popular tire, Toyo, Avon, Hoosier, and Kuhmo all come in that size.

Looking @ the 15" specs from TireRack, the Kuhmo only comes in a 225 but the Hoosier and Avon do have a 205 in the 15" diameter.
    [/b]
    205-50-15 is an extremely popular size and you will be able to find all tires in that size. SM runs that size in the Toyo RA-1, so you can get Hankooks in that size also. And the Kumho's are available in that also, not to mention the Hooser, and Avon.

s

My main concern was the weight. Also, I wanted to have a shorter side wall, we have the car sprung pretty stiff. I dont have the literature in front of me, but the 205-50/15 has the same overall height as I believe the 205-55/14. The 15's really are not a money saver, they are $300 a piece. I have not looked into the koseis yet, but i am sure they would save me some $$$.

Thanks for the input!

Aaron

oops, one more thing. BSI is not into the VW's as much anymore so where can I get a decent fuel test port?

Thanks!

Tim Linerud
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL

I think the 15s are worth their weight in gold, especially if it's negative In years past, I found only a differece in feel between the 13s and 14s, but this year found over 1/2 of a sec when I went to 15s
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service

Eric, did you change your R&P too?

When I went to the 20x8x13 slick on a 13x6 rim, I actually started using 5th gear because of the reduction of overall diameter compared to the 205-55-14 Toyo's that I used to run in ITB.

My 3.94 now feels like a 4.25 with the smaller diamater tires.

Tim Linerud
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL

... The 15's really are not a money saver, they are $300 a piece. [/b]
    Ooch. The Kosei's that I use are like $118, shipped. Do a search by size (14x6) for a Civic. They don't come up when you put in "VW" at TireRack 'cause Kosei wheels are too ricey.

K

exactly, unlike CIS where its a very high pressure, you can actually tap the rubber lines on a mk3 VW motor without issues. So any fuel sample port that can just be clamped will work or using some AN lines and that fitting to replace the OEM rubber in the engine bay would do the trick.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

All you mark III guys make me miss my old car............ Kirk, Aaron et al good luck! BTW here is the car that made the mk III go from ITA to ITB !
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

I almost bought that car off of ebay! That car was the reason I decided tolook into a mk3 to build instead of a mk2!

Aaron

The guy that bought it from me ( when it was still ITA ) sold it on ebay after he did his schools and it became more valuable after it was moved to B
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

After having a day off of work and school I was able to work on the car a bit more. Here is a picture I took with my phone last night...

Well now the car has it's exhaust. The Techtonics header looks and fits awsome. Also after a long battle with leaking brake lines, the bias valve and brakes are all dialed in!

Aaron

On with the Pics!

sweet!!!
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Very nice. Now all you need is the blue paint on the rear to match the official factory race cars.

Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

yeah I was thinking about the blue paint. I havent quitefigured out what the graphics will look like yet but they will be blue.

Aaron

It fits the old country specific colour code just just the way it is . plus being a lighter metallic colour it will refelct more heat. BBS rs's are a nice choice, forged centers and if you bend a lip or barrel it can be replaced fairly easily. Looking good!

I did some research on the Kumho tires that we are going to run and I decided to go with the 15" for sure. After the decision was made I experienced the luckiest day of my racing life... I picked up an almost new set of SSR competitions in a 15X6 ET 38 for $600! Here are the specs for Kumho V710's in 14 and 15".

14" 15"

Tire Size & 205/55R14 205/50R15
    Service Description

Rim Width 5.5 - 7.5 5.5 - 7.5
    Range
    (inch)

Overall Dia 22.9 22.9
    (inch)

Section Width 8.4 on 6.5 9.0 on 8.0
    on
    Measuring Rim
    (inch)

Tire Weight 18.7 18.2
    (lbs.)

The overall diameter is the same and the 15's weigh a 1/2 lb less! Wheel and tire combo is right at 27 lbs ea.

That is a SWEET deal on wheels! Congrats.

I am really looking forward to seeing you at the track Aaron. I just hope I can get my winter projects done before the winter is over myself...
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com