Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new ITB car.

I am super excited, this is going to be much nicer then my old dinosaur (sp?) mk1 So far I just finished the cage and painted the interior. Now it is time to work on suspension stuff!

ohhh no another one!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Welcome to the MkIII Club. Where are you located?
    K

Nice looking car, and welcome to the VW club!

The cage looks nice, but you may want to re-think the "knee-breaker" bar before everything's finished.

Thanks guys. I am located in Minneapolis, MN. I run in LOL region and have been racing my old rabbit for 5 years now. The kneebar is actually really high so I am not too worried about it. When in my seat, my legs are almost flat, leaving about 8 or 10 inches of clearance.

I have a really full month ahead of myself. This car is scheduled to race it's first race on the weekend of August 25th @ autobahn in Jolliet Ill.

I will keep you posted as things come together.

Aaron

Thanks guys. I am located in Minneapolis, MN. I run in LOL region and have been racing my old rabbit for 5 years now. The kneebar is actually really high so I am not too worried about it. When in my seat, my legs are almost flat, leaving about 8 or 10 inches of clearance.

I have a really full month ahead of myself. This car is scheduled to race it's first race on the weekend of August 25th @ autobahn in Jolliet Ill.

I will keep you posted as things come together.
    Aaron
    [/b]
    Aaron,

I understand what you're saying about static clearence below the knee bar. I would suggest that you look at some crash-test footage. You'll be surprised at how much things move around in a crash.

Angry

I understand what you're saying about static clearence below the knee bar. I would suggest that you look at some crash-test footage. You'll be surprised at how much things move around in a crash.[/b]
    I have about the same amount of clearance in my A2. It concerns me enough to have added padding to the bar but having seen a 944 that compressed the dashboard area about 1.5' in width during a rollover, I think I'll take that risk...

Nice looking shell.
    Haz-Matt Racing

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am going to take the risk on the knee bar. I was mistaken.. My first race in this car is @ Road America durring the weekend of August 26th and 27th. Is anyone else going to be there from here?

Aaron

There is a small chance I will be there.

I am up to my ears in planning for Treffen the weekend before, and will likely need some sort of divine intervention to get wife approval to go racing that weekend. I will definitely see you at BHF in October though.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Yeah, more Mk3 action! And another previously Mulberry one too!
    Good luck!

There is a small chance I will be there.

I am up to my ears in planning for Treffen the weekend before, and will likely need some sort of divine intervention to get wife approval to go racing that weekend. I will definitely see you at BHF in October though.
    [/b]

I am actually skipping treffen for the first year in a long time just so my car will be done for the race. I guess it makes it a bit easier not owning the car Jamie shot 2 years ago though...

Hope to see you on the track.

Aaron

I skipped it once, during a family vacation to the old country. Hard to skip when you have planned all 10 of them. I am trying to extricate myself from the process though so that I can just enjoy the weekend one year.

Good luck with the new project, it will be great to have another B car out to play with.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Chris,

Having been part of all 12 Waterfests I know your pain. Helga was 15 feet from my judging HQ and I didn't get to meet her!

Having built an A3 I know that pain as well.

If you run into problems with the A3, the knowledge base is starting to get going. Just post it up.

Dave Z

Angry

Having been part of all 12 Waterfests I know your pain. [/b]
    You are a much braver man than I - I have yet to attend a Waterfest for various reasons - distance, maturity level, etc. However it would be fun to have a "race car" contingent at Waterfest to offset the bolt-on crowd and the "over the top, never driven, only showed" cars.
    Haz-Matt Racing

There will be at least 3 regularly raced cars in the show at Treffen this year.

My ITB car
    Mathis' GProd car
    Albin's GProd car (they are putting an open diff in it to run in Saturday's autocross too)

Sorry to highjack the thread, but if any racers want more info: Treffen Website
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

More goodies just came today. A $2200 order from techtonics, my transponder, brake bias valve and all the hardlines/ rotors bearings ect.. to finish the brakes! WOO HOO, I might make it!

OOPs forgot to mention the goal of this car too... I am trying to build a WINNING ITB mk3 for $10k or less. So far the grand total is @ $7725.09

I will keep you all posted and take more pictures as the project progresses..

Aaron

A commendable goal.

I'd like to figure out how to build a winning ITB driver on a budget, please.

K

Well to build a good driver, in my case I ride my bicycle about 150 miles a week and eat well. I also went to skip barber racing school about 5 years ago, racing a few of their series races since then..

I am guessing I will have about 15k into the car all said and done.

Aaron

Well, I guess my deadline of August was a little off. I am now to the point of purchasing wheels and tires. Since we can now run a 15" rim, and my budget seemed to fall apart, I am looking at these.

In a 15X6 Tire Rack claims they only weigh 8.8 lbs

Kumho will be supplying the tires (thank goodness for Kumho contingincy bucks!) I am going to run the V710's in a 205/50-15

We use a 14x6 Kosei K1-TS (like 9.5#?). If the 15s are a big money saver, maybe but I'd be hard pressed to believe at this point that the additional inch is a benefit.

K