Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9.2 SAFETY CAR (pace car)

Found it...

It'd hot, we all need a laugh. One of the funniest videos of all times. And if we're discussing it, lets get the facts straight.

What would YOU have done??

Thanks to the great guys at King Rat for assembling this:

http://www.specmiatavideos.com/compliations.htm [/b]

Wow, that was great!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have got out of my car and had a talk with someone!

I also believe honesty is the best policy when dealing with anyone.

Hmmmm. Honestly?? I probably never would have noticed I was in the wrong slot!!
    Either way, If I couldn't get grids attention, i would have gone out in 6th.....

Last race I had, I was gridded on the out side. As we started rolling on the front straight behind the pace car, the car in the row ahead of me pulled off and pointed everyone by. So there was a hole in the row ahead of me. During the pace lap I kept hoping the car on my inside would fill in the spot ahead of me. As we approached the last corner on the pace lap (after long consideration) I moved into that spot, picking up two positions. I felt a little less guilty when the car I jumped over, passed during the race.

What would you do??
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

What would you do??
    [/b]
    in the case of the I was 7th. If I could not get it fixed before the one minute I would go out in 6th.

in jeffs pace lap drop out case, you move up, no crossing over after you have been split. recipie for chaos.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Hmmmm. Honestly?? I probably never would have noticed I was in the wrong slot!!
    Either way, If I couldn't get grids attention, i would have gone out in 6th.....

Last race I had, I was gridded on the out side. As we started rolling on the front straight behind the pace car, the car in the row ahead of me pulled off and pointed everyone by. So there was a hole in the row ahead of me. During the pace lap I kept hoping the car on my inside would fill in the spot ahead of me. As we approached the last corner on the pace lap (after long consideration) I moved into that spot, picking up two positions. I felt a little less guilty when the car I jumped over, passed during the race.

What would you do?? [/b]

I personally believe you did the right thing by moving into that spot. He who hesitates is lose! If the rightful person does not fill the spot, assuming he/ she was given ever chance, then by all means you take it. I feel you would have created a more dangerous situation by not filling the space. You never know what the intentions of others behind you might be if they saw the opening. If you feel guilty about moving ahead of someone, let them by after the green flag then race them for position.

As one who
    A: Lurks here,
    B: Wears white (but never after Labor Day!),
    C: Sometimes drives the Pace Car, and
    D: used to be a steward,
    maybe I can shed a bit of light on the "underworld".

Stewards can get reprimanded as part of a protest if they screw up, just like any other official. That is the same as it happening to a driver, a letter goes in you record file.

The executive steward can do an "Officials" review, just like a "Drivers" review. The result is not normally nice, as it is often a suspension of a license for a year or so or some other remedial action. Or not, it depends on what caused the review. It normally isn't a single incident, but having a bunch of letters in your folder. It is a process to deal with the person who is a problem at race after race, but one that doesn't always get them points. (and officials don't have "points" in any case.)

As far as the "underworld" goes, the way it used to be in my division, the high level stewards get together at a invite-only meeting and discuss the license grades of all the stewards in the division and any other officials they feel the need to talk about.

The system works well, except when there is a problem with the Executive Steward or one of the other high level stewards. From first hand knowledge, I can tell you that a long phone call to the right person at "national" to discuss a few serious problems can result in an high level stewards being called on the carpet by the folks out west.

So, if you file a protest, you will most likely get your money back, as it was well founded, and at least, there should be a reprimand or something like it in the responsible stewards folder, hopefully preventing such a screwup from happening again. And, word will spread far and wide as well, maybe helping a few others to "learn".
    Dave Lyons - TACT is for people not witty enough to be SARCASTIC.
    Latte is French for "You paid too much for your coffee."

As one who
    A: Lurks here,
    B: Wears white (but never after Labor Day!),
    C: Sometimes drives the Pace Car, and
    D: used to be a steward,
    maybe I can shed a bit of light on the "underworld".

[/b]

Thanks Dave, informative.