I didn't realize that was legal. I just re-read the book. You're right!

It doesn't sound cheap, and I don't know that it's 100% possible (these systems are electronic these days, tied into other systems in the car), but it's certainly an approach I hadn't considered. I still think it's more appropriate to find a way to allow these cars to keep their systems. Give a weight penalty if you must (2% to get around the concern a couple posts back?).

It's before my time in IT, but how did the addition of fuel injection to the IT ruleset work? I vaguely recall that once upon a time, fuel-injected cars had to replace their systems with carbs, right? Removing all of the ABS stuff (which is on almost every new car from the factory now) strikes me as similar to replacing fuel injection with carburators. Was the change to allowing stock fuel injection systems well-received?
[/b]
pulling the abs out is not hard or expensive. bmw e36's have been doing it for years. pull the old parts, put in some hard brake lines to bridge the gaps and add a legal pressure limit valve if need be for balance.

it is actually a little advantage to take it out. most abs systems are HEAVY and the weight is in the already heavy left front. pulling it is a great way to lighten the car.