Thread: Marrs 5- Hot and Then Some

Greetings.
    If you were at M5 I need say no more than brutal heat, good racing, brutal heat, more good racing and brutal heat. I want to salute John Weaver ITB 2002 #9, Brett Brillinger ITB 2002 #82, William Radford ITB 2002 #80 (I see a pattern here) for racing with wits, patience and cunning and sharing many laps of good clean fun. I worked may ASS off to finish behind you guys and feel pretty good about it. Also want to give a thumbs up to James Hess IT7 #71 for an excellent battle. Mr. Radford and I got called up to the tower for metal to metal in turn 1, which was subsequently deemed a "racing incident" by the powers that be. According to my Very Entertaining Video tape, I think I tapped him very slightly as I bounced off the curb trying to avoid a more serious collision as I tried to pass him under braking, and he would have none of it. My new friends Mr. Weaver and Mr. Brillinger and I traded places a number of times. It was obvious to me that we all enjoy racing door to door and apex to apex, but are clever enough to leave a tiny bit for the unexpected and willing to give it up for another shot at it on the following lap. No bending, no mending. Thanks, guys, that was great fun.
    I volunteered to drive the pace car for Group 8 and was unexpectedly rewarded by getting to drive that lovely Jaguar convertible. Dick Hummel wisely observed that it would be REALLY BAD for the pace car to spin out on the pace lap. It was very interesting trying to keep such a willing car at a steady 35-40 MPH while a bunch of yahoos are gunning their engines, lurching forward and back, weaving back and forth, scrubbing their tires and psyching each other out inches away from someone else's very expensive rear bumper. I glanced back in the mirror once and decided that was not such a good idea. When I came back to park it at the winners circle, there was a video crew from 3AM Sudios. The on camera interviewer was an attractive young woman who looked up at me as I carefully backed it into the designated spot and said, "will you take me for a ride in your car?" (And some people say that the car doesn't matter.)
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

I had the pleasure of talking with both 3AM interviewers from the podium after
    stinking up an otherwise great ITC race. I must agree with the hot, hot , hot theme.
    I had to back off a bit at half distance to keep the tires from going away completely.

I must thank the SRX7 drivers I played with this time for a clean race . We all gave
    eachother just enough racing room .

Roger Troxell
    Marrs ITC #90

Angry

Yup - it certainly was a hot one this weekend. Sunday was hotter but less humid (thankfully).

I got bunched up behind two 2002s at the start and that set the tone for a lousy race for the ole General Li. It was fun to watch the two IT7s battle in front of me even though the orange IT7 dumped copious amounts of fuel on me at EVERY right hand turn for about 6 laps. It got so bad that I took to running the carousel with my WIPERS ON!!

All told, it was fun but I wish I could keep up with those ITB cars
    Haz-Matt Racing

Was it ever HOT!!! I really need to pick some stuff to pipe some air on me on these hot days.

I had some great racing too as I tried my best to catch and pass a few ITA cars on my way to getting the 7th place ITB volvo well ahead of me. I actually saw the orange glow in front of me for much of race about 1/2 a strait away till the leaders started to lap me. Nothing more fun then watching the leaders slip and slide around while im trying to let them by and even more concerning was not seeing one where I thought they should have been resulting in a mental wash and very stupid bad move on my part.

But I was happy that the motor issues I been chasing down are gone, I know have some of my power back since the field didnt run away from me down the straits this time. Now if I can just get the driver back in shape and find the 2 seconds I lost from beging of the year.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Did anyone mention that it was hot? It was really hot! I'm still drinking to try to replenish the lost fluids.

Mark Lapos
    ITS RX7 #23
    rpperformanceracing.com
    Mark Lapos
    ITS RX7 #23
    www.rpperformanceracing.com

>>>I must thank the SRX7 drivers I played with this time for a clean race . We all gave

Roger, I have to say the same thing about the ITC's we lapped during the race. Last season I'd dread catching the tail end of the field because I didn't know if the C cars would give us room or expect us to pass at certain spots, but I really get the feeling we're getting to know how to race around eachother a lot better.. I was able to anticipate passes and only lost my momentum once while trying to get around a lapped C car..

Was it ever hot.. I zip tied a camel pack to the passenger seat and filled it with half ice half water.. Just what I needed around lap 10! I suspect sipping a pint of ice cold water during the race does as much to cool down the body as a cool suit does for 1/10th the cost.. -Al G

Angry

I'm still drinking to try to replenish the lost fluids.[/b]
    I tried that on Sat night but found that beer doesn't stay in me long enough to replenish much

Seriously, it wasn't that hot on Thu when I set-up but I was absolutely soaked as I setup one canopy!! This wasn't as bad as last year, or was it the year before when the heat and humidity were well into the upper 90s. During that race, whenever we talked about tearing down the paddock, we'd stand up, grab a water and sit right back down!!
    Haz-Matt Racing

That was last Augusts race. 97F and 70% humidity all weekend.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Did anyone mention that it was hot? It was really hot! I'm still drinking to try to replenish the lost fluids.

Mark Lapos
    ITS RX7 #23
    rpperformanceracing.com
    [/b]
    well, maybe if you didn't have a BLACK race car it would be so hot Mark!....oh wait... i have a black race car too.....doh! :-( dang was it hot.

nice job snagging that checkered flag in ITS Mark!!!

Marshall
    ITR BMW #64

>>>I must thank the SRX7 drivers I played with this time for a clean race . We all gave

Roger, I have to say the same thing about the ITC's we lapped during the race. Last season I'd dread catching the tail end of the field because I didn't know if the C cars would give us room or expect us to pass at certain spots, but I really get the feeling we're getting to know how to race around eachother a lot better.. I was able to anticipate passes and only lost my momentum once while trying to get around a lapped C car..

Was it ever hot.. I zip tied a camel pack to the passenger seat and filled it with half ice half water.. Just what I needed around lap 10! I suspect sipping a pint of ice cold water during the race does as much to cool down the body as a cool suit does for 1/10th the cost.. -Al G
    [/b]
    who won the srx7 race al? matt l is dying to know....;-)

>>>who won the srx7 race al? matt l is dying to know....;-)

Spec 7 results:

P1- Geidle 1:33.126

P2- Stutt 1:33.154

P3- Gervais 1:33.645

P4- Maddox 1:33.816

P5- Ray 1:33.741

Hot it was! My cool suit came in very handy. Very fun, clean race ITA/IT7/ITB race. I just started running ITA this season and am enjoying it a lot. Who is going up to the Glen this weekend? I am looking forward to it. Hope it will be cooler up on the hill. Bill H (No. 91 Yellow Miata)

Damn, sounds like I missed some great fun, although I thought I heard someone say it was a little on the warm side . I thought I had something for the General too, what with the brand new Kumhos and all; guess I'll have to wait for September to find out.

I did want to share a small bit of advice that some of you may have figured out on your own - downshifting into 2nd while exiting 8 can have really detrimental effects on the ability of your power plant to continue to be a power plant. Take my word on this.

Bill H. - we haven't met yet, but I was planning to come find you one of these weekends and tell you how much fun I had chasing you around VIR back in May. Hopefully one of these days I'll be fast enough to chase you around Summit the same way.

You guys have fun at the Glen, I wish I could come but thems the breaks (literally).

Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Oh, come on, Earl. I'm always in 2nd gear coming out of T8....on the pace lap! As one of the many who's been seen their share of head rebuild and replacements this year in ITA, good luck and can't wait to see you and everyone else for the Double!

Congrats once again to Kirk (#11 240SX) and Jon (#40 Integra) for putting on a great race (that I thankfully got to watch from the track rather than from the bleachers). I was hoping that Bambi would make an earlier appearance this weekend so that I'd have a shot at taking the checker but I'm more than content with both my finish and getting a front-row seat for their non-stop 16-lap battle (just like at M4).

I also want to give a shout out to Spanky (#03 '89 Civic STD) for his amazing run from P4 to P7 to finishing P2 in ITC this weekend. He put his head down and ran a very smart, tactical race. Congrats to both you and Roger for some great racing.

Results are now up:

http://offtotheraces.net/marrs5,2006.html
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Angry

I did want to share a small bit of advice that some of you may have figured out on your own - downshifting into 2nd while exiting 8 can have really detrimental effects on the ability of your power plant to continue to be a power plant. Take my word on this. [/b]
    Earl - I heard you had a problem but not until Sunday or I'd have stopped by to thank you for giving me at least one position during the race :P Turn 8 - I'm usually upshifting to 4th about there although I did forget once on Sunday when I was more concerned about turning on my wipers to wipe away the fuel from the orange RX7 and banged the rev limiter at track-out in T9. Seriously - sorry to hear about your little valve to piston interference issue. I look forward to racing with you at the Double.

There was some good news for Slummit Point - the electrical work in the back paddock is progressing. While the boxes aren't all installed or functional, they are probably 80% installed and (fingers crossed of course) I'm hoping that they'll be operational for the Double. We brought a myriad of extension cords this weekend and plugged in the trailer anyways so we could feel somewhat civilized. We even fired up the ole lighted palm tree on Saturday night and it attracted derlicts (you know who you are...) like a lightbulb attracts moths.
    Haz-Matt Racing

It was a little warm, but I had a blast runing with Glenn in the 12 IT7, Art in the 55 ITA and seemingly every BMW 2002 on the east coast. I agree with Art's sentiment that we gave each other enough room to play without getting too out of hand. I appreciate everyone giving me enough time to gather the car back up while I tried to loop the car exiting turn three. (I suspect you all backed of to watch me decide where to crash!) Plus it was pretty cool talking to the 3AM girls post race even if I had nothing intelligent to say.

See you all at the Labor day races.

Jim
    MARRS 71 IT7

Actually, according to my Very Entertaining Video (henceforth VEV), when you got tail happy in 3, Mr. Weaver lifted just a bit, enough to allow you to decide where to crash, and yet not enough for me to rear end him. A very experienced racer. I also saw you getting tail happy and figured, what the hell, so I lifted ever so slightly, enough to witness where you were going to crash. When you didn't, I was able to sqeeze by John (he let me) on his right going toward turn 4. He cleverly backed off and neatly followed me thru the apex, saving his pass for later in the race. Good stuff.
    I forgot earlier to congratulate David Alvarado, #09 ITA Acura Integra. I thought I saw rookie stripes on the back as he blew by me! Excellent!
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

My wife and I looked at the video last night and she thought it was nice of me to waive thanks to Mr. Weaver. I wanted the thank him for being for being a heads up guy and backing off to enjoy the show!

Did anyone else see the deer run across the track right before the bridge during the first pace lap of Group 4 or was the heat getting to me?

Jim
    MARRS 71 IT7

Did anyone else see the deer run across the track right before the bridge during the first pace lap of Group 4 or was the heat getting to me? [/b]
    Oh puhleeeze don't tell me the deer got all anxious on us and ran out before the green ever flew! I know my only chance was for Bambi to make an appearance during the race, not after.

Guess I gotta drop an extra $20 on Dr.Doolittle at the double.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

I also want to give a shout out to Spanky (#03 '89 Civic STD) for his amazing run from P4 to P7 to finishing P2 in ITC this weekend. He put his head down and ran a very smart, tactical race. Congrats to both you and Roger for some great racing.
    [/b]
    Thanks Gregg. BTW it's a '90 Civic STD. If it was an '89 I wouldn't be 150 lbs over weight (I'm talking car people).

I guess I should give a quick update from MARRS 5. HOT HOT HOT!!!

First Qualifying session I qualified 3rd. Second Qualifying John Burkhard beat me out for 3rd so I started 4th for the race. I don't know exactly what happened, but the 5 minute whistle seemed to be a short 5 minute. My head was not in the game and barely got ready with all my gear on. Being flustered and head not in the game my start was absolute CRAP. By turn 2 I was down to 7th. It took a couple laps just to get my head in the game. Eventually I worked my way up to 4th again figuring that was about it for me. I kept my head in it and just concentrated on the prize. Eventually I caught up to John Burkhard again in 3rd. Rich Allen in 2nd place had a pretty good lead on John. I decided to stay tucked behind John to try and catch Rich. 2 or 3 laps tucked in behind John we closed the gap on Rich and John was able to pass RIch going into T1. I thought I could follow through, but just couldn't carry enough speed through. I tucked in behind Rich and got an awesome run through 10, stayed tucked and was able to pass Rich going into 1. Somewhere in the mix of things going into turn 5 I went in a little hot. Both rear wheels in the dirt both front on track, I was able to catch it and not lose any ground. Gregg gave me 2 to go over the radio. I stay tucked behind John until the last lap. ON the last lap I got an awesome run out of 8, pulled out going up the hill and had the line through 10. Doing everything I could to keep the car on the track I pulled out of 10 and noticed it was enough to hold John off. This was my first podium and it was probably the most fun I have ever had in a car. John, Rich, Beth, Kevin, Martin ran a clean race and was a pleasure to race against them. Sorry Roger.... you checked out from the get go. Never saw you

One last thing and I will rap this up. NONE of this would have happened if it wasn't for Big John from J&L Automotive, Bryan Pritt from J&L Automotive, my teammate Kevin Helm #13 '89 ITC Honda Civic, and my beautiful wife Kim. I know, I know, I'm turing into a sponsor loving idiot, but there's a reason. Marrs 4 I lost a tire going into turn one after making a pass for 2nd place. New job and money and time are really tight. I wrote off Marrs 5. The week of the race, I find out that Big John ordered all my parts and Bryan and Kevin put the car back together without telling me. My wife was talking with them and paid my entry fee. There excuse was that they have all been on the sidelines watching a race before and it sucks. They see that I am FINALLY up there competing and they couldn't let me sit out. I can't thank them enough.

A race like that puts the WHOLE thing in perspective. All the hours, blood, and sweat. This is why we do it.

Sorry for the rant. Still on cloud 9.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

...Still on cloud 9....
    [/b]
    That's not from the race, that from all the Bicardi

Good job in my car Spanky. One of these days I am going to ask for it back....
    Enjoy,
    Bill