Thread: Fuel test - what will pass?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

so would it be a good idea to take several samples of fuel from different stations that I frequent to the track just to make sure?

Would I have to pay for those tests?

most premium gas from a station will fail due to additives, correct?

so would it be a good idea to take several samples of fuel from different stations that I frequent to the track just to make sure?

[/b]
    Problem is, there's probably not that much consitency from tanker-load to tanker-load. And I have not heard of anyone having to pay to have fuel tested. I have also not heard of premium pump gas generally failing, as a rule.

[/b]
    As Bill said, street fuel is just too variable to be SURE it will pass everytime from the same station. Tanker load to tanker load, yes, but it is worse if you live where they change the blend seasonally. In some (maybe all?) counties in Colorado they oxygenate the fuel all the time to reduce toxic emissions. In two counties in New Mexico they only do that from November through February. Depending on what they use to oxygenate the fuel it may fail.

[/b]
    The RMDiv supps state that we'll give you two free fuel tests per race. In practice I've never charged anyone for a test, nor have I ever heard of any other tech inspector charging for a fuel test. I don't know how much it is supposed to cost, or who I would turn the money over to if I did. They didn't give me any blank receipts either.

I've got way bigger things to worry about than a buck or so worth of supplies used.

[/b]
    On street fuel, I think it's usually the oxygentes that fail the sample, not the octane enhancers. Of course if the oxygenate is ethanol, they may be one and the same.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion