Thread: 1 st it race

well a little back ground 1 st , this is my 1 st post here and and its about my 1 st road race ever , i have been ice racing ( door to door) and solo2 stuff for about 5 years, and now trying my hand at road stuff, i used my ie race car which is a 84 scirocco, 4k tranny 1.8 8v , with a autotec 268 cam , but thats it , ! i faired ok but was left behind by better prep cars and rx 7 with more power , my dilema is this , do i continue to use my rocco ? or build a new car?

95 integra IT2
    89 volvo 740 turbo

www.ssccracing.org

...or BUY a new car? There's an ITC (ITB?) Scirocco for sale here in NC for less than half of what it would cost to just buy the parts bolted to it, let alone the value of the labor involved.

K

...or BUY a new car? There's an ITC (ITB?) Scirocco for sale here in NC for less than half of what it would cost to just buy the parts bolted to it, let alone the value of the labor involved.

K
    [/b]
    id love to but most of the stuff thats for sale is way too far away from me , or vw that bad ? i mean those 12a rx7's made me look bad......

95 integra IT2
    89 volvo 740 turbo

www.ssccracing.org

Boil it down to the fundementals:

Do you want to win? Do you want to learn? How much money do you have to do that?

The answers to those questions will define your actions.

If you want to win, then you'll have to get a car that can do that, AND one that meets your budget. I doubt you can build a car that can win the ARRCs in ITB for the $8K that the winning Accord (05) was on sale for.

If you want to learn, then your budget requirements can go down a bit. Those RX-7s can be bought in the $4-5K range for good cars. And they are cheap to run.

Building your current car up to specs/performance (is the cam legal??) is likely going to cost you more than the end result will be worth, and keep you in the garage, rather than on the track.

And ...no offense intended....but the one area that improved the most in my build (and I hope continues to improve) is the driver. Money spent on the driver...as in driving..pays off. keep an open mind, learn learn and learn, and you'll be surprised how fast these cars can go. The fast guys at the front are really fast when you get up close and watch what s going on.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Boil it down to the fundementals:

Do you want to win? Do you want to learn? How much money do you have to do that?

The answers to those questions will define your actions.

If you want to win, then you'll have to get a car that can do that, AND one that meets your budget. I doubt you can build a car that can win the ARRCs in ITB for the $8K that the winning Accord (05) was on sale for.

If you want to learn, then your budget requirements can go down a bit. Those RX-7s can be bought in the $4-5K range for good cars. And they are cheap to run.

Building your current car up to specs/performance (is the cam legal??) is likely going to cost you more than the end result will be worth, and keep you in the garage, rather than on the track.

And ...no offense intended....but the one area that improved the most in my build (and I hope continues to improve) is the driver. Money spent on the driver...as in driving..pays off. keep an open mind, learn learn and learn, and you'll be surprised how fast these cars can go. The fast guys at the front are really fast when you get up close and watch what s going on.
    [/b]
    im not looking to win at all , im in this to have fun , just like ice racing i understnad what it takes, the top cars in our ice race series cost big money also , i just want to be a little harder to pass ,, ( driving skill) plus i get pass a ton inthe straits , but all ihave done is a cheap set of springs , and a cam to th engine , that is it ,

95 integra IT2
    89 volvo 740 turbo

www.ssccracing.org

And technically you shouldn't be running the camshaft. It takes some time to develop a good handling quick car for your class. That's one reason that is often good to buy one. But, if you want to run your car, there are a few things to prepare, and a few things to purchase. It's just money. . .
    BTW, what are the rules for Ice Racing? are the levels of prep and safety compatible with Improved Touring?

im not looking to win at all , im in this to have fun , just like ice racing i understnad what it takes, the top cars in our ice race series cost big money also , i just want to be a little harder to pass ,, ( driving skill) plus i get pass a ton inthe straits , but all ihave done is a cheap set of springs , and a cam to th engine , that is it ,
    [/b]
    sort of , the race series that i take part in is a 2.0l and under class , with very little mods allowed , the it cars i went to race with , had much more prep done then me!

95 integra IT2
    89 volvo 740 turbo

www.ssccracing.org

Well I guess first question is are you racing with SCCA rules or some other organizations ruleset. That might change perspective on what people thinking as far as whats legal and not. In SCCA IT that cam in not legal.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Well I guess first question is are you racing with SCCA rules or some other organizations ruleset. That might change perspective on what people thinking as far as whats legal and not. In SCCA IT that cam in not legal.
    [/b]
    no im from canada , and i race with the wcma, my car is placed in it3,

here are the rules .... if your into reading itMy Webpage

95 integra IT2
    89 volvo 740 turbo

www.ssccracing.org

Those rules look a lot like SCCA ITx rules and from what I can see, the cam is illegal.

Yeah, I guess so, just a preprogrammed response, after answering a billion times, "we have to run the stock cam. . ."

cam or no cam , imnot that bad of a driver to get blown away by a 1 st gen rx7 ( sorry just venting a bit)

95 integra IT2
    89 volvo 740 turbo

www.ssccracing.org