Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 door bar rule change?

Ok, I will admit I haven't kept up with every Issue of fastrack and I am in the middle of building my 1994 VW Golf ITB car, the cage is almost done. Can someone please point me to the posting of the rule change? I hate to finish my car and paint the cage only to find it needs to be redone. Currently I have two bars on the pass side configured in an X with two gussets in the middle.

Thanks in advance, Aaron Stehly

Tom Sprecher

Take a pic of the doorbars and post it here. You'll get all kinds of advice on whether its legal or not

As far as the X's go... I've yet to see anything "official" regarding the classic 3 bar X being legal. Everything in the wording of the GCR tells me that it's not. If it's wrapped in a taco style gussets to form one solid, reinforced X and undetectable whether its 2 bent bars, or 3 straight bars... your guess is as good as mine
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Now yer cooken Scott. Yer written responses like the rules are written.

What's your take on the Miata pictures I sent ya ?
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

I dont' have as much faith in my fellow man (or in tech inspectors or stewards) so I've documented in pictures that our answer meets the letter of the "two bars" requirement. For what it's worth, I don't believe that the traditional X does but that's neither here nor there.

Where you at, Aaron? We're always interested in new MkIII Golfs...

http://it2.evaluand.com/gti

K

Unhappy

It looks like you're making it harder to get in and out.
    Mike Guenther
    ITR #11
    http://www.improvedtouring.com

It looks like you're making it harder to get in and out.
    [/b]
    Nah... he's making it easier to get out should the car roll and come down hard on the top of the windshield
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

I am located in Minneapolis MN. My pass. side doors are just like Knestis' car. My driver side goes into the door to give my large 140lb self a little working room! .

Thanks for the info. guys. I will post some pics after I install the suspension next week. (Bilstein PSS9 coilovers.)

Aaron

...My driver side goes into the door to give my large 140lb self a little working room! .
    [/b]
    I haven't been 140 lbs since I was 15. :119:
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

I haven't been 140 lbs since I was 15. 119.gif[/b]

Hehe, well I am only 22 so dont feel too bad...

Ok I feel stupid... I already knew what the rule was I guess as it is already in the 06' GCR. I just did not put two and two together to realize that was an update in this years book

There is a tiny bit of discrepency in the wording of the "two bar" description. Unlike the diagonal brace in a main hoop, the GCR does not say "two continuous" bars. Not that it really matters though because I am changing the design.

Thanks, Aaron

i just noticed item #8 on there, it says that the cage shall be welded to the car, and all mandatory tubes to use welded joint construction.

im not racing yet, and my car has a bolt in, bolt together cage, but i still have an old logbook... am i screwed? should I weld all of the tubes together? safer that way, or required?

also, its an itb crx, and the floors are ultra thin contoured, and weak, how will welding the cage to this make it any stronger than using bolts and plates ?

I believe you'll find that 18.3.1.A applies to Touring class vehicles, not IT.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

The bolted in bottom legs into the Honda are much safer bolted in. with the plates on both sides.. The welding of this cage to the thin floor will make it much more likly to push thru the floor. I had some research on a patent to prevent this from happening.(patent rights still for sale, and clear)
    To update a floor mounted cage , weld up the rocker as far as you can go and stay under the 100sqin or what ever the rule is today. In addition, you can run the seat mount across the floor(but not welded) to spread the load out .
    RE; the door bars look OK in the pits, but I'd feel a lot better sitting sideways , over a blind crest, with three solid door bars. with gussets, and a dash bar...
    MM
    AKA Madd Mike,
    www.racingcarsrental.com

I like the idea of what you are doing, but as for getting in/out, I'd probably do it in reverse. I'm sure the idea is to protect the driver profile, so I like your for thought. One thing I found, though, as my cage went together: bent bars bend - straight don't. Sounds simple, but looking at your picture, I have to ask: why not just do a diagonal from your shoulder point to the floor, and then do a door intruding bar ("nascar bar") AROUND your diagonal to do a continuous 2nd bar? You've put a heck of a lot more thought into what you showed here than I have, but ...

BTW - what I love about your design is the straight support to the roll hoop. I wish I'd done that ...
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #71

OK I am in the somewhat strange position of having a 4 door race car. ITB Prizm.
    Any ideas on how this what I need to do for the 2 rear doors. I understand I need to add double bars to the front doors infact I intend to make them go into the door so I can gut the doors.
    But I was hoping to just leave the bolt in cage as is in the rear. Do you think because the rule says two bars per door they will make me put bars in the rear as well???

Cheers SteveP
    Cheers SteveP
    "Growing Old is Manadtory"
    "Growing Up Is Optional"
    ITS Porsche 924s
    ITB Geo Prizm (For Sale)

No...I've seen plenty of 4 door BMWs that basically have a coupe style cage, modded of course.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

So the Fastrack says:

Item 35. Effective 1/1/07 and permissible 10/1/05: Change section 18.2.7 to read as follows:
    7. Side Protection
    Effective 1/1/07 and permissible 10/1/05 two (2) <strike>A</strike> side tubes connecting the front and rear hoops across both <strike>the driver&#39;s</strike> door openings are <strike>is</strike> mandatory <strike>and across the passenger&#39;s door opening is allowed (recommended). The telescope section should be at least four (4) inches
    in length. Minimum bolt diameter 3/8 inches. The driver&#39;s window safety net may be mounted to this side tube and the top cage tube. Driver&#39;s d</strike> Door side tubes may extend into the door.

Here&#39;s an example of a typical "X". Does this conform to the required two tubes?

Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

It depends who you ask.

IANATI - Kirk

It depends who you ask.

IANATI - Kirk
    [/b]
    And they did not insert the word "continious" as in the main hoop description. we have to run the bar across behind the driver in the main hoop and it can be 2 pieces. The down tubes for the main hoop can not have bends. Restrictions are clearly spelled out when they are intended. Not the best way, but legal by todays rule.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I believe it is legal and unless directed otherwise will give annuals to cars with this design, however there are those that have argued that it is not and this will need to be resolved. Someone needs to get an opinion from Jeremy and the national headquarters. As I see it that is the only way to end the debate.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7