Thread: Video from HyperFest 2006

This past weekend a bunch of us went down to Summit Point for NASA's - the race guys, not the space guys- HyperFest event. (Saw that sticker and thought it was cute.) The event itself was very cool, although the very late evening stuff was annoying. But overall, we had a blast! One thing we quickly noticed was how smooth things were run and there was very, very little wasted time (from a racing perspective).

Anyway, I'm off on a recovery day from work so I should save posting more for tomorrow.

HyperFest 2006 Video Footage
    "Save" as... (33.6 M

Hopefully this time my video posting will work correctly; and I still have some learning about how to properly compress videos.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

33MB??? So far, it says 10 iminutes to go.

I'll let it download and check it when I get back, LOL.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Ass, car crashes, and huge crowds of spectators...man, maybe I'm racing with the wrong organization.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Ass, car crashes, and huge crowds of spectators...man, maybe I'm racing with the wrong organization.
    [/b]

I love SCCA, but I do have to admit when I see some things done right!!! Watching this reminded me about the Seceret Car Club of America, although I don't think NASA is much different.

IMO SCCA over the years has gotten more and more "elete" with higher costs to be competitive which has its positives and negatives all on its own. The other great thing but at the same time hugely negative thing about SCCA is that it is more and more about "no frills" just dam good racing. This is a lot in part due to all of SCCA's members. I bet most of the SCCA members would not be interested in most of what is on that video (That does not include me).

On another side note I think that most of the people/spectators at that event were probalby people compeating in the different events. If SCCA were to hold an event like that then I am sure it would also appear to have lots of spectators.

SCCA events such as RAL weekend at NHIS have RallyCross, AutoCross, and Road Racing however everyone is compeating at the same time and in different locations. Road Racing is obviosly at NHIS on the track. Autocrosses are held at the track in an outfield paved parking lot, not viewable or easily accesable to watch one another. The RallyCross used to be about 2 miles up the road at another facility however last year I think it was in a dirt lot at the track up on the back hill. Once again not easily accesable (time, within sight, or short walkng distance) for anyone to watch one another.

How about this schedule for a weekend:

Friday evening/night:

Autocross under the lights at the track in the VIP lot across from registration. Easily viewable for people registering for the road racing event. People would probably watch before and after registration.

Saturday:

Road Racing on the main road course.

Saturday evening/night:

Worker/Driver party (With music) alongside the RallyCross under limited lights (rally cars have big lights) in the dirt lot on the back hill.

Sunday:

Road Racing, Autocross and Rallycross as per the norm.

Free passes to all events for workers/drivers/crew of any one event. Spectators pay the $20.00 and get into all the events.

Also this is way out thier and many might think its crazy but I really think to make it big thier should also be a Carnival going on in the background someplace. This would draw in lots of people who would probably fit a lot of the demografics of people who go "in other directions" because they are unaware of our club. If you were concerned about attracting people to the carnival I don't think that is an issue at NHIS. Everyone in the area knows where the track is and a little advertizing about a carnaval goes a long way, we love that stuff up here in NH!!!

Raymond "Just some thoughts from the video" Blethen

PS: Thanks Dave for sharing!!!
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Raymond, you could add to the mix for the weekend a custom car show. There are so many rods and custom cars in this area and one of the local facilities that had them on Friday nights is now closed (Honey Dew on Rt. 106). These usually also have a local radio station doing a remote which would really add to the "draw" for the locals. I think you have a great idea for a weekend format.
    A Race Junky from the Get Go......

A few interesting things that were done, some I still don't know if I liked / disliked.

As I mentioned, the event had very little wasted time! Quickly a few friends and I noticed how they handled ending a group and beginning the new group. For the SCCA events I've been to, only after all cars from the previous race group does the 3 or 5 min. warning get announced. Not here! They did the warning while the other cars were still out on the track racing. If an incident occured at that time, of course they'd delay things but that didn't happen this weekend. Then while the preceeding groups was doing their cool off lap, the next group was being led out on the track to do there warm-up lap. By doing this, they eliminated much "wasted" track time. The down side of doing this from a driver's perspective was not having a victory lap. IMO, winning a victory lap is a very cool thing! I'm not sure how I feel about taking that away.

Registration: instead of everyone going to registration to enter the track, everyone paid to enter. Upon entry, people received a wrist band. Then people found their paddock spot and most people unpacked. People had to register before X am, and that's where they were reimbursed for the entrance fee. If they had crew, the crew would go then (or later as long as they were on the list and paid to get in) to get their money back. What this resulted in was a very, very small line at registration. And if the line was long, the person could go back to their car and get it ready further then come back. Again, there's pros and cons but overall I liked it.

Track rides: I thought this was awesome and know some SCCA regions do this too. During the lunch hour, spectators were allowed to go out on the track with their car for some paced laps for $15 (I believe - or it was $10). This did not require corner workers, just two "pace cars". Heck, I'm sure some workers (or racers like myself) would enjoy driving the pace cars. I know before I started racing, I would have been all over doing this track ride. Last year at the Summit SCCA double, I took a few friends/crew (and wife Melissa) out for a track ride. Sure I can explain what parts of the track look like, but until you see it for yourself its not the same. I really wish more regions including the NER did this. It also helps raise some money for the region.
    Dave Gran

Track rides: I thought this was awesome and know some SCCA regions do this too. During the lunch hour, spectators were allowed to go out on the track with their car for some paced laps for $15 (I believe - or it was $10). This did not require corner workers, just two "pace cars". Heck, I'm sure some workers (or racers like myself) would enjoy driving the pace cars. I know before I started racing, I would have been all over doing this track ride. Last year at the Summit SCCA double, I took a few friends/crew (and wife Melissa) out for a track ride. Sure I can explain what parts of the track look like, but until you see it for yourself its not the same. I really wish more regions including the NER did this. It also helps raise some money for the region.
    [/b]
    NER does this reguarly at NHIS... I am sure they would at Lime Rock but I bet the track has something to do with that!!! At NER events I think it is $5.00 a head and everyone must be belted in and be members of the club. I think workers can go for free... but that then adds to the issue of finding a few volunteers to run it.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

but that then adds to the issue of finding a few volunteers to run it.[/b]
    Yes, but how many? NASA had an area (a foldable table) where merchandise was sold (some pretty cool NASA shirts, hats) which is where they people signed up for the track rides. That could be open till around noon and serve as another way for regions to make some money. (I know a certain book they could buy at a discount then sell. Ugg, I did that self promoting thing, didn't I?)

O.k. Twist my arm, I'll volunteer to drive the pace car.
    Dave Gran

[/b]
    Good for them using the track drive arounds to turn a profit, and not to do something silly like help pay for the local library and other things to make the local happy and not try to shut down or limit the track use. SCCA obviously has it wrong, worrying about silly things like being able to use the track in the future.

Good for them using the track drive arounds to turn a profit, and not to do something silly like help pay for the local library and other things to make the local happy and not try to shut down or limit the track use. SCCA obviously has it wrong, worrying about silly things like being able to use the track in the future.[/b]
    A little anti-NASA are we? I have no idea what NASA did with the proceeds raised from track rides / merchandise, but that wasn&#39;t the point. I&#39;m not sure what the purpose of what you said was other than you saw an opportunity to put NASA down. <_<

Although this post wasn&#39;t meant to be a SCCA vs NASA and their involvement in the community, I thought it was awesome how NASA went around to the community inviting people to join in the festivities for free. (Spectators were charged $20 to enter, and there were certainly a lot of them!) In particular for the fireworks display (which was done by a very, very well known company in the business who has done displays all over the world), the line of cars and local people gathering to watch them was pretty darn cool. Based my personal discussions with several locals, this was a huge hit and "the locals were happy and not trying to shut down the track or limit use".

Dave Gran

i was at hypefest for hpde. there where lots of spectators/campers that where not competing. my immediate camping neighbors where groups of spectators.

the tandem drifting was fun to watch.

only issue i had was there was lots of people up to 3am friday night who brought fireworks.

as mentioned before, as i came off track we got stopped in the pits so the next group (racers) could go out. the racers where not stopped in the pits when inbound. so it was staggered hdpe/racing.

because of race grid sizes they did a combination of standing starts and rolling starts at same time. they would have group 1 standing start with 2 more groups coming around for a rolling start. each group with about 15 seconds between. think on one race it was various IT speed cars standing, SM rolling and legends rolling.

only issue i had was there was lots of people up to 3am friday night who brought fireworks.

[/b]
    That&#39;s typical for an SCCA weekend as well. The campers at Summit like to party.

I was struck by the roll-over contest at Turn 5. It just made me think of all the un-intended roll-overs I&#39;ve seen at that corner.

A few interesting things that were done, some I still don&#39;t know if I liked / disliked.

As I mentioned, the event had very little wasted time! Quickly a few friends and I noticed how they handled ending a group and beginning the new group. For the SCCA events I&#39;ve been to, only after all cars from the previous race group does the 3 or 5 min. warning get announced. Not here! They did the warning while the other cars were still out on the track racing. If an incident occured at that time, of course they&#39;d delay things but that didn&#39;t happen this weekend. Then while the preceeding groups was doing their cool off lap, the next group was being led out on the track to do there warm-up lap. By doing this, they eliminated much "wasted" track time. The down side of doing this from a driver&#39;s perspective was not having a victory lap. IMO, winning a victory lap is a very cool thing! I&#39;m not sure how I feel about taking that away.

[/b]
    My experience from SCCA races at Summit is that after most race groups there is a bit of clean-up, broken cars to be towed in, etc. Not sure how you guys avoided that. Maybe the SCCA stuff is a bit more intense or the cars / classes more fragile. I don&#39;t know.
    MARRS ITB BMW 2002 #2
    O=00=O

NASA does go by the 13/13 rule, so that could reduce some of the contact.
    Dave Gran

A few interesting things that were done, some I still don&#39;t know if I liked / disliked.

Registration: instead of everyone going to registration to enter the track, everyone paid to enter. Upon entry, people received a wrist band. Then people found their paddock spot and most people unpacked. People had to register before X am, and that&#39;s where they were reimbursed for the entrance fee. If they had crew, the crew would go then (or later as long as they were on the list and paid to get in) to get their money back. What this resulted in was a very, very small line at registration. And if the line was long, the person could go back to their car and get it ready further then come back. Again, there&#39;s pros and cons but overall I liked it.

Track rides: I thought this was awesome and know some SCCA regions do this too. During the lunch hour, spectators were allowed to go out on the track with their car for some paced laps for $15 (I believe - or it was $10). This did not require corner workers, just two "pace cars". Heck, I&#39;m sure some workers (or racers like myself) would enjoy driving the pace cars. I know before I started racing, I would have been all over doing this track ride. Last year at the Summit SCCA double, I took a few friends/crew (and wife Melissa) out for a track ride. Sure I can explain what parts of the track look like, but until you see it for yourself its not the same. I really wish more regions including the NER did this. It also helps raise some money for the region.
    [/b]
    the registration deal is normal for summit and not particualar to nasa. same pay at gate and get refunded deal at scca events there.

scca does track ride at lunch for charity on a regular basis at summit.

NASA does go by the 13/13 rule, so that could reduce some of the contact.
    [/b]

actually it doesn&#39;t, certain race groups run that rule (944 cup) but the rest don&#39;t

...The down side of doing this from a driver&#39;s perspective was not having a victory lap. IMO, winning a victory lap is a very cool thing! I&#39;m not sure how I feel about taking that away.
    [/b]
    While there was no victory lap, the race winners got their trophies up on a stage with bikini girls while in front of a crowd of 100&#39;s.
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com

I came up through NASA and this was my third HyperFest. First one was HPDE, last two were racing.

HyperFest is way cool IMO, but also glad it is only one event a year. HyperFest also is not a NASA event it is a Chris Cobetto (MidAtlantic Regional Director) production. Hyperfest is only Saturday. There just so happens to be a NASA double weekend event at Hyperfest.

The plus is that each year even though the other activities bring the spectators - drifting, roll-over, daisy duke contest, concert, party, etc - each year more and more do come into the stands during the day and watch the racing. This year was the biggest yet.

I can super appreciate the victory lap, especially from beating out the entries in IT to earn it. But from a track time perspective NASA MidAtlantic&#39;s roll on/roll off is huge. Remember NASA has upwards of 10 race classes in their race groups so victory laps aren&#39;t really feasible. The other regions are getting there but MidAtlantic is in my experience thus far probably the most logistically put together region east of the Mississippi. Their logistics are sound and improve continuously.

The paddock is usually much more open at all other events - other than HyperFest it isn&#39;t nearly as tight as MARRS events. This is one reason I would love to see a few split double MARRS weekends - coming from NJ to SP I really like having a full paddock slot. It is just more relaxing to me.

I love NASA and nothing I can forsee will stop me from going. However, they don&#39;t match the logistics and support that MARRS gets. MARRS handles significantly more registrants and I think they handle it extremely well. MARRS has significantly more volunteers in all specialities grid, T&S, tech, registration. And MARRS has tons of experience throughout from volunteers, officials and those in the paddock. I can always find an answer, NASA doesn&#39;t always have someone that knows the answer. NASA will work hard to find it and do it right but it can take a lot of time.

I haven&#39;t seen excess numbers of contacts - but there are more than NASA wants to see this will only improve. It was strongly communicated and in some instances illustrated that there will be less contact or there will be less drivers.
    Ed.

The paddock is usually much more open at all other events - other than HyperFest it isn&#39;t nearly as tight as MARRS events.[/b]
    When I made that comment while walking around the paddock, Jake made a good point - NASA also includes HPDEs where people many times do not have support vehicles, trailers, ect. Although I was surprised to see some of the rigs for the HPDE street cars.
    Dave Gran

My experience from SCCA races at Summit is that after most race groups there is a bit of clean-up, broken cars to be towed in, etc. Not sure how you guys avoided that. Maybe the SCCA stuff is a bit more intense or the cars / classes more fragile. I don&#39;t know.
    [/b]
    NASA does almost all hot track pickups. SCCA waits till the end of the session to pick up cars unless they are in a "bad" place.
    Enjoy,
    Bill