Thread: Montoya to NASCAR

I heard on the radio broadcast that there are more NASCAR teams than there are available drivers. Robby Gordon and Tony Stewart came from open-wheel, Jimmy Spencer from modifieds. Mario drove NASCAR in the late 60's. Elliot Forbes Robinson did a short stint in the late '80s, I believe.

20 years ago, NASCAR put Tide and Downy on the sides of the cars to promote the sport to women and make it a respectable family sport. Busch races in Mexico (Australia/NZ and Japan, too?) and Toyota joining in 2007 expands it to an international level. Montoya's addition kills two birds with one stone - the international connection and a step toward fulfilling their "Room for Everyone" campaign, recruiting women and minority participants. Yeah, I know that Ganassi and the other owners are independent sub-contractors, but the France family is celebrating the Montoya deal.

Who's next? Michael? Kimi?

It'll be fun to watch him on the short tracks like Bristol. "Rubbin' is racin'. "

Jeff

The press conference on SPEED was interesting.....

He said he was sick of running around not racing...spending 27 hours on a plane to get to Austraila, spending as much time "at work" as the NASCAR guys, but racing less than half as much.

"I want to race." he said. "In F1 you try to pass, and if you touch wheels they call you an animal"

He says he realizes that he has a "huge learning curve"...and thets why "it 's a multi year contract." He also stated (with Ganassis ardent argeement) that the money part of the discussion took an hour. "Simple, lets do it." he said. Chip asked his price, he named it, and Chip said "OK!"

He agreed with reporters questions that it's a pay cut, but said "Why race for millions and be miserable? It's not about the money, it's about the racing"

He also pointed out that he COULD have called Chip and asked for his old ride back in the IRL car, where he could be contesting right away if he just wanted to get out of F1...but he wants a challenge. He said he had open offers for next year on the table in F1, but was sick of the whole thing.

The truth?? It's in the middle. I bet he DID have open offers on the table, but they weren't with the right team, or for the right amount, and he saw it as too much hassle for too little success, and probably figured that now was the time. Timing is EVERYTHING in these deals.

He seems candid, and willing to talk, which is a bit different from the JPM of F1. I think he genuinly likes Ganassi.

But man, it sure would be hard to leave the millions, the perks...and the cool mcLaren factory/team....for NASCAR.

We'll see....it won't be easy, but it seems like he's not coming in as a prima donna, he will run Busch events and get a place in Charlotte to help ease the transition.

For NASCAR??? A MAJOR feather in the hat. This is the internationalization they've wanted. His fans will be pissed, but follow regardless, and he might gain some more.

One things for sure, he won't be winning restrictor plate races overnight, but the roadcourses might be fun to watch. The first season will be a mix of ugly and mediocre.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

After seeing his move on Rosberg in Canada.....he fits right in.
    MARRS ITB BMW 2002 #2
    O=00=O

Hmm....I haven't heard of this till now.

Initially I would have to say that I don't like it, but after a bit of thinking, it might be entertaining.

Also, is Marcos Ambrose still planning on moving up to Cup? I seem to remember NASCAR saying he didn't have enough experience to run at Daytona, so he moved to a Truck team - he is a former Aussie V8 Super Touring champion.

Jeremy
    "It's a fact..."

ESPN just announced that Danica is also looking to move to NASCAR next year. Apparently, NASCAR is the place to be!
    Jeremy Billiel

Too bad her biggest advantage....her size....will be negated there. (CART cars need to make min weight withOUT the driver, so drivers like her and Christiano De Matta have a built in advantage, as 50 pounds lighter is a big advantage)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

A super-light driver is still an advantage in Nascar.

You can get creative with ballast.

Eh - they limit left-side bias so it's kind of a moot issue.

K

Actually, rumor mill says Danica is the next one.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Now if anyone can teach him how to speak GRIT.

...and get a place in Charlotte to help ease the transition.

[/b]

Me and my buds just got a house in Charlotte near UNCC, maybe he needs a place to stay, lol. Seriously, I wonder if I might run into him at the downtown scene in Charlotte, once in a while you see some of the big cup guys out at the good bars downtown.

Mark Carpenter
    GGS Racing.com
    FP Integra #38
    ITA Acura Integra #17 --SOLD--

UNC-Charlotte and CT