I haven't had a season like this in many, many years. I tried another race this weekend with nothing but problems. The car did run lean the first day (my 84 Scirocco) and I finally did determine the CPR was not stable (suggested strongly in another thread) - once changed the fuel mixture was solid however I could not pull any rpms. Last season I could easily pull 6500 but this weekend I could not get to 6000 and it got worse as the weekend went on - top rpms dropped to 5800 then 5500. I had fuel, it was not cutting out at all, although it would flutter under 4500 when floored (I did swap ignition distributors, still no power) and I checked my compression: 165 to 170 across all cylinders. I simply had no pull.

I was blowing oil from somewhere, it was wet on the fuel distributor and behind the engine on the transaxle and axle shafts.. someone following me said they saw a puff of blue smoke out the tailpipe when I let off the gas, not when I was on it.

What do you check when you can't get top end power? is it possible to have an engine blowing oil out the head gasket but not lose compression? I guess I will pull the tranny to make sure the rear main is okay although the engine was completely rebuilt at the start of last season (this is its second season) and I am not sure anything was coming out the timing hole... chances are oil was going in I think.

I am very frustrated and would be interested in ideas you may have. thanks