Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Race reports?

Those weren't "his guys" doing slow tire changes and dropping the car RJ.
    Just thought I'd save Blaney the typing. I know the answers by heart after a few years of it.
    [/b]

Sorry pal, they "Are my guys" and I am quite proud of them, they did a steller job compared to "Your Crew" -- Oh oh no wait you DIDN'T have a Steller Crew there, in fact were you even in a car at some point in that 12 hour period.

Your dribble becomes you and now it's just

.RJ I agree that we had some issues, but I don't think anyone did as bad as you suggest, and based on the issues we had to solve, I don't think any other team would have done much different. But thanks for your positive comments.

Tom Blaney

.RJ I agree that we had some issues, but I don't think anyone did as bad as you suggest, and based on the issues we had to solve, I don't think any other team would have done much different. But thanks for your positive comments.

Tom Blaney
    [/b]
    Well, practice, practice, practice. Thats all I can say. We timed your first stop at over 3.5 minutes. You just lost a lap.... everything counts, its a LONG race. Our team was testing thursday, practicing pit stops, refueling, etc... same thing on friday... and on saturday morning practice, instead of running around the racetrack, we practiced pit stops with a hot/live track.

While we're thanking everybody, Turn 1 Motorsports and I would like to give the biggest possible to the guys at Carbotech, especially Dan Puskar.

Here's the story...a few weeks ago we ordered almost $1000 in pads for five ITC CRX's and Civics. Carbotech shipped them out and they showed up on the Saturday of MARRS 4. The drivers did their best to conserve well worn pads during Sat. qualifying while waiting for them to arrive. Well, on Sunday AM the drivers go out for hardship practice to bed in pads and all report that something is very wrong w/ the pads. Turns out they're auto-x/mild track pads (I guess Bobcats?). New pads out, what remains of the old pads back in, and one of the drivers wins a tough five car, nose-to-tail battle for the win.

So, pads back to CT and they promise to send something out to us that should easily cover the entire 12hr distance. Some mishaps in shipping occur, but when they finally ship UPS fails to deliver as promised on Friday, leaving us w/ five sets of very marginal pads for a 12hr race.

While most of the team thrashed on replacing the motor and doing other final prep for Saturday, I manned the phones and attempted to find out from CT what was going on...all at 7pm on Friday. So I finally get ahold of Daniel who gives me the rundown on UPS's many screwups and tells me that he has two sets left and that he's getting in the car so that he can meet me at Summit at 8:30am. In other words, he's driving from Charlotte to get us the pads.

To be honest, we thought the UPS story was a crock and that the pads never went out.

So there's Dan at 8:30 as promised. Heck, he beat the race car to the track. We get him in as crew and he sees 1st-hand how woefully tired and unprepared we are. Anyways, he helps us out through the morning and it was much appreciated.

Well, let me report that UPS today delivered the pads that were guaranteed for 10am Friday delivery. We at Turn 1 hearby apologize to everyone at CT and applaud their AMAZING dedication and support. I can only wish we that we were as on the ball on Saturday as Dan and Carbotech.

Thanks again and next time, bring those stickers!
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

I did manage to squeeze off a few pix before our race ended.

http://the16v.com/SCCA/
    Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

]
    Because I saw the smart ass remark from Catch 22, regarding our failure let me make it perfectly clear, I ran consistant 29's & 30's for two 1.25 sessions with no mechanical failure, or failures because of the weight change, we were knocked out at 8PM because we had a short in the light bar wire harness that blew the alternator, and we ran out of batteries to replace. We had to replace an upright because we dropped the car down from a tire change without the lugs tight on one side and we snapped two wheel studs.

But I want to thank all the workers and thanks to all of the drivers out there who were gentlemen and gave room to me and other faster cars in the race. The miata guys were much less aggressive to us faster cars and in return many got good tows and passing opportunities.

Thanks again to the group and we had quite a few laughs and great teamwork.

Tom Blaney

Tom why do you bow down to them, we all tried our best, luck in life as in racing plays a part, heck a team mate of ours took our other car out of the race with 55 minutes to go and we may have been able to win in ITA, we were only a few seconds back. We did the same thing at the Pocono Enduro. Some of the guys were disappointed, but then it may not have been meant to be.

BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN
    Love "the commander"
    Mike Cefalo

Let's start with the positive: as anyone that has been a part of, or around, this team can attest, this is a fantastic group of people with which to be associated. Jeff put it quite well and succinctly during our drive home yesterday: if it was anyone else, we'd probably not be doing it near as often (or at all). I cannot say enough for this team and its protagonists. Cheers to you guys!

As for "The Lap Eight Incident", well, how do I put this delicately without starting a major pissing match? I really can't. Bottom line, as a generalized group of people the Spec Miata drivers drive like total asshats. There, I said it, let the war begin.

Here's a sanitized, edited version of The Event I sent to a friend via email:

The Spec Miatas were all driving like [idiots]. Dive bombing, stupid low-percentage passes, passing in areas guaranteed to slow down both parties unless the passee drove off the road. Very selfish, me-me-me, gotta-get-this-done-right-now-or-we're-gonna-die type of driving. Even the low-key drivers of the team were getting hacked off by these [idiots].

And this was on the opening laps.

I took the green flag stint, starting 43rd of 50 overall, 2nd of 4 (?) in class. The field looked like a Miata convention, comprising (I heard) 36 of the 50 slots. Believe it or not, everyone tippy-toed through T1 with no immediately noticeable results. However, by the start of lap 2 all the Special Me's (and Super-Special Me's and Super-Special-Me's dressed up with ITA and ITS decals) were beating up on each other. ON THE SECOND LAP! And mean literally bumping, hip-checks, [stuff] like that. I quickly passed the leading ITB car and got stuck behind a pack of about 8 or so of these wankers; realizing that there was NO way I was getting through them I laid back about 100 or so feet to let them duke it out and thin out the herd.

Unfortunately, one of the [idiots] caught me off guard and tried a STUPID dive bomb pass on another Miata into a no-braking, all-momentum, full-throttle corner (entering turn 9) and started a classic Miata Melee in front of me. ON LAP EIGHT OF A FREAKIN' 12 HOUR RACE! Dust and cars was flying everywhere and I turned hard outside to intentionally drive off the track. Just as I was about to make it through the mess a black Special Me (the one that may have started this whole thing) backed out of the dust cloud to intercept my line off the track; I tried to turn away but couldn't and hit him square in the rear quarter. DAMMIT!!!

The car started fine (I had locked it up and stalled the engine when I hit the grass) but it was obvious the right-front suspension was bent. I turned the car around, only to see the "driver" of the Special Me out of the car and walking/running towards me. I let him know via hand signals he was Number One and drove towards the track, watching for the corner worker's signals to re-enter, and as I sat there waiting for directions the guy was yelling into the driver's window and banging on the roof! I ignored him and merged back into the flow and went straight into the pits.

(I heard later that his actions caused quite a stir on the Worker net. After I drove away he apparently tossed his ripped-off rear bumper into his car, jumped into the car with no belts, window net, or other safety equipment, and drove the car back in. A steward told me "they had a long discussion." The guy never got back on the track and was listed as a DNF with only 8 laps. Classic.)

I made it into the pits, cussing like an unhappy sailor (a pitlane worker near us said she learned a few new words that day - I apologized to the group afterwards). Damage on the Golf wasn't as bad as I feared: the bumper cover was trashed (it got tie-wrapped/taped up), the right front fender was crushed (banged out), fender liner was ripped and worn (removed), the passenger door was bashed (no performance effect), there was a bent tie rod, and a destroyed tire. Cameron and crew replaced the tie rod and tire, quick-aligned the car, and I was on my way. I had to come in once more for an alignment check (slightly toed-in) and once it was all said and done we had lost 19 laps - about 26 minutes - for the repairs, but the car felt fine. In fact, I ripped off a couple of near-qualifying times and kept going (Jeff later beat those times - and set fastest team race lap - in his stint).

At that point I decided since I had already bought a fender, door, and bumper cover I was going to knock every G-D SM off the track I could find ("they should all pay for sins of the family" is how I think I put it), but instead I behaved...

The rest of the day went swimmingly, with nary a major concern, except for long-term continuation of the afore-mentioned Stupid Miata Tricks. You would not believe some of the selfish, short-term thinking of these guys, sticking their little noses into places that made no sense, either strategically or tactically. The attitude is pretty much "I'm faster, it's your responsibility to get out of my way!" Funny part is, on rare occasion (and I do mean rare) you'd have one of those experienced drivers that understood what it meant to work traffic, to strategic "plan" a pass such to maximize relative traits and to minimize time loss to both parties involved. When you saw those guys you'd work with them and probably only tie them up - at most - 1/2 second. Then you've got the Terrible Two's drivers trying to barge in and hip check a Golf in the carousel. Interesting enough, you'd be surprised at how slow and wide a Golf gets through there...as one other drive put it, "hey, Chief, you're slowing me down? Then we're BOTH slowing down!" and they'd lose AT LEAST 2 seconds on that lap, plus whatever momentum they lost on the subsequent lap. The really funny part? They'd do the SAME G-D THING next time by! Amazing, simply awe-inspiring.

We finished the race second place in class -- 18 laps down. To say I'm ripped with both "them" and myself for letting it happen is an understatement. But, I'm proud of the job the guys did to get us back online and I'm proud what we did for the rest of the race.

Here's the ironic kicker: in July '04 I rented the Flatout #00 for the Pro Spec Miata race at LRP. I started near the back of the pack (it was my first time in a SM) and ended up t-boning a guy that was driving like an [idiot] and spun. Guess what sponsor decal was on the rear window of the car I tagged on Lap Eight? You guess it: same one. I gotta wonder if - up until reading this post - the guy knew I'm the same person? If it was the same driver, I refer you back to my posts on SM.com just after that July 2004 event. It's obvious nothing's changed in two years...

Karma's a pisser (thanks Christine), ain't it?

I hate Spec Miatas.
    [/b]
    Don't hate us all. Some SM driver were great. I like to think as the driver of car # 39 a SM in ITA form I was as gentlemanly as I could be. Sure there are guys who don't use their heads, but there were a lot who did.We were put out of the race in the 11th hour by a SM who dived bombed our team mate in turn 6 spun him around and caused us to hit our guy and put us out. But for the rest of the great drivers Thanks for a great run. When you get to my age just to run for 11 hours is great. To those who were not that great, hopefully next time you will be, I'm sure.
    BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN
    Love "the commander"
    Mike Cefalo

Nice shots Doug!

I hope you don't mind Doug....

Amy? Any comments??
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Great photos!

Sorry to see Pablito banged up

I guess that's racing.

Marcus
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

Amy? Any comments??[/b]
    I plead the fifth ammendment to the Constitution of the United States...

Don't hate us all. Some SM driver were great. I like to think as the driver of car # 39 a SM in ITA form I was as gentlemanly as I could be. Sure there are guys who don't use their heads, but there were a lot who did.We were put out of the race in the 11th hour by a SM who dived bombed our team mate in turn 6 spun him around and caused us to hit our guy and put us out. But for the rest of the great drivers Thanks for a great run. When you get to my age just to run for 11 hours is great. To those who were not that great, hopefully next time you will be, I'm sure.
    [/b]

Being a teammate of Greg's, I lean towards his feelings on the Miata's. However, I did comment to him and several others about watching your car (not sure who was driving) nicely four wheel drift through the Carousel in both the dry and the wet in Friday's practice. Fun to watch........

I agree with one of the above posts. I think it was mostley the midpackers that were the problem. The faster Miatas would just wait until the next straight if they couldn't pull off a clean pass. The other problem is that we were in one of the slowest classes out there, although under braking and in the faster corners we could hang with anyone.

Doug,
    Nice to finally meet you in person. From the look of the pics, pitting with you guys had its perks!!
    You think the picture of Greg holding the panties was funny, you should have seen him while he was wearing them over his driving suit!! Then, trying to get them off in the hot pits after his stint so that the hundred plus people in the pits wouldn't see him!! We finally determine that public humiliation makes him drive faster!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Doug,
    Nice to finally meet you in person. From the look of the pics, pitting with you guys had its perks!!
    You think the picture of Greg holding the panties was funny, you should have seen him while he was wearing them over his driving suit!! Then, trying to get them off in the hot pits after his stint so that the hundred plus people in the pits wouldn't see him!!
    [/b]
    nice to meet you all as well. I was right there when he got out of the car... problem was he already ripped his panties off. He must have known the spy photographer was waiting in the shadows
    Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

Great pictures! That fender looks so much better straight! :P

I had a great time working with everyone, It's always a blast to do the enduro's. Glad to be a part of the team.
    I'd like to Thank Bill, and Lee for the great help getting the car back out after the little bump on Lap 8. I think we can be pretty happy to have taken another checker and only be 18 laps down after bending a tie rod and crunching the airbox!
    Also Evan, Spencer, Cathy, and Collins, thanks for all your help, Fueling the crew, and the car!

Greg, Jeff, Phil, and Kirk did a great job keeping the car on pace and making my stickers look good out there!
    Hopefully we will get another chance to race that 28 car, maybe VIR or Summit enduros to come, that was shaping up to be a great competition.
    Captain Panties

One of these days I'll learn to keep my mouth shut...

One of these days I'll learn to keep my mouth shut...
    [/b]
    Really??

Might there be a possibility of a wager involved??

Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Well well, who would of figured that is was Greg Amy that ran into me! I agree with you Greg that in life karma has to do with alot. First, as far as getting all up in your sh-t on the track in turn 9, I am truly very sorry. At the time I thought it was you who originaly pushed me off the track and I found out later that it was another miata "Heman". Second don't misinterperit my username b/c it is the name of my boat and has nothing to do with Improved Touring. Third, as far as what happened in the pits with stewards and other pit crew I am sure you can understand how pissed off we were to be taken out of the race after only 8 laps. For just the entry alone thats a $100 per lap and about a $3000 weekend for the whole race.

I can tell you that I was tring trying to be as conservative as it is possible on a race track. I was intentionally driving at 8 or 9 tenths and letting things calm down. This is hard to do and after getting punted by one of my own JACKASS SMer's I get smashed by Greg. Well my opinion is that the whole deal was shit ass racin and I was shocked at the aggressiveness of the people driving for a 12 hour race. I got into SCCA "CLUB" racing b/c it is supposed to be a gentlemens sport. Its not freakin NASCAR. Most of you IT guys get this but I have seen some pretty good wrecks in the IT races as well. Nobody is perfect certainly not Greg or I! I think most of the people out there racing right now have zero respect for each other. As far as the SCCA goes I wish there would be stiffer penalties for any metal to metal contact. If you have any contact with another car you pack up and your weekend is done!

Lastly, I dont care what people think and I would not even have made this post except for the irony that I just saw that Greg was the one who hit me!

Jay Blake

Like Bill, edited due to corrected reference post.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Might there be a possibility of a wager involved?? [/b]
    Uuuhhh, no.

...I would not even have made this post except for the irony that I just saw that Greg was the one who hit me![/b]
    It's a small world, my friend...

Switching gears, what happened with the ITE 'inspection' that was supposed to happen. Did any of the ITE cars get inspected or DQ'd? What happened to the Porsche?
    [/b]
    I believe that officials made it be known to certain entries that cars would be checked to ensure that they were legal ITE cars under the DC Region rules.

re: carnage -
    After the motor died on the Smurf Honda, we packed up and watched at T8 around the 6PM mark. We noticed that there were very few "special mes" and "super special mes" that did not have another car's paint on them. We also saw alot of questionable driving.

After the rabbit-induced FCY, a car pulled off at driver's left going up the hill towards the bridge. If I'd have been flagging at 8 or 9, I'd have asked for a FCY because the field was overdriving the incident. Most cars were going through the incident as fast as before the local yellow.

I believe that officials made it be known to certain entries that cars would be checked to ensure that they were legal ITE cars under the DC Region rules.

re: carnage -
    After the motor died on the Smurf Honda, we packed up and watched at T8 around the 6PM mark. We noticed that there were very few "special mes" and "super special mes" that did not have another car's paint on them. We also saw alot of questionable driving.

After the rabbit-induced FCY, a car pulled off at driver's left going up the hill towards the bridge. If I'd have been flagging at 8 or 9, I'd have asked for a FCY because the field was overdriving the incident. Most cars were going through the incident as fast as before the local yellow.
    [/b]

When I asked about ITE at the end (I heard the same thing you did, I was told send them home with the rest of the pack.) This was after we pulled all the cars for impound from the field.

The FCY for the car off drivers left for station 9 was a car fire and they wanted everyone slowed down for the amount of equipment that was going out there to handle the situation. I think it was a proper call given that the corner workers extinquisher was not enough to put it out and the fire truck was on the way.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires