Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Summit Race reports?

The number one rule is to protect ones own keister...
    Rule 2 is to protect any other workers keister...
    Rule 3 the driver who you are responding to's keister
    Rule 4 all the other drivers keisters..

After that all you have to do is wait 2 laps for the steward to decide to release the safety truck :angry:

If the workers presents at the scene won't add to the safety of the situation, then staying on the bank is the best place for them. When I arrive with the truck, I put 7,000 of metal between me and and the red mist still on track. A flagger doesn't have that option. Even if the driver was knocked out, he is still belted in and surrounded by a roll cage, the corner worker wouldn't be. The worker did just as he/she should have.

I only wish the driver had gotten out on the drivers side not the passenger side...
    [/b]
    Thanks for the explinations!! It always good to hear the story from the other side,makes sense!!

I know Brian said he was a "little" disoriented when he got out of the car. My guess is he had no idea which way the car was facing. Of course, the smart a$$ was coherent enough to take a bow and blow kisses!!

Brian usually has videos on his site, but I don't see it up. Any chance he posted it somewhere else? I am still trying to figure out what happened since I have not been to summit before.
    [/b]
    Turn ten is a faster corner leading on to the main straight. If you over cook it you go into a sand trap. Brian got a little side ways and being a VW with a high center of gravity...........

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Brian usually has videos on his site, but I don't see it up. Any chance he posted it somewhere else? I am still trying to figure out what happened since I have not been to summit before.
    [/b]

I would have to wonder if he was even running video given the length of the race.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Gregg - Would you be so kind as to have T&S explain why they don't use MyLaps when you're at the next Comp Committee meeting? They've explained it to me in the past but I was busy with iCard and honestly didn't let the information sink in (either that or it has seeped out).
    [/b]
    Our meeting for tonight got postponed due to the need for extra pontoon boats. I will be sure to raise the question once again, as I didn't feel I got an adequate answer from the T&S queen at last year's open comp. meeting. At that time I found it quite odd that they could upload the date for MyLaps for the 12hr and not anything else. Besides, the "time cards" on T&S's non-affiliated, home-grown website are posted in a horrible format.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Gregg, I am glad I will not be a fly on the wall for that answer. I would likely drop myself on the head many times.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

[/b]
    with so much going on prior to the race I didn't install the camera. Even if it were in there, the tape would have run out at the two hour mark. The incident took place about 2:50 after the driver change stop.
    Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

Our meeting for tonight got postponed due to the need for extra pontoon boats. I will be sure to raise the question once again, as I didn't feel I got an adequate answer from the T&S queen at last year's open comp. meeting. At that time I found it quite odd that they could upload the date for MyLaps for the 12hr and not anything else. Besides, the "time cards" on T&S's non-affiliated, home-grown website are posted in a horrible format.
    [/b]

Just checked out that "Off to the races" website... WAY COOL!!! Lots of neat stuff on that

As for those "time cards" they are certainly helpful and give you all of your times. It was "the thing" a while back. Before the "mylaps" website that was the best you could really get from a drivers standpoint. I remember when it came out it was the coolest thing Now though times have changed and the BEST thing that I am aware of is the Mylaps webbsite as it is all computerized on the web and it is easy to do "queries" allowing you to compaire yourself to other racers, see lapcharts, etc... Now if we could only compare 1 race with another race!!!

I would think that WDCR region would be open to taking the next step, but might need a little help?

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Angry

I'm not trying to imply that MyLaps is perfect - IMHO, there is no such thing as a perfect T&S system, not even warm bodies or an impersonal computer. What I'm saying is that WDCR's T&S is not very receptive to new technology, especially technology that isn't perfect (which would be anything running a Win-Doze OS).
    Haz-Matt Racing

I'm not trying to imply that MyLaps is perfect - IMHO, there is no such thing as a perfect T&S system, not even warm bodies or an impersonal computer. What I'm saying is that WDCR's T&S is not very receptive to new technology, especially technology that isn't perfect (which would be anything running a Win-Doze OS).
    [/b]

My Laps is FAR from perfect especially for actual results... 100% Agreed

It is to bad that WDCR T&S is non-receptive to new technology... It will certainly hurt them in the long run and prevents them from being the "leader" in racing events within SCCA and other racing organizations. Hopefully enough people will speek up and tell them what they as drivers want and the T&S people will listen/learn from those willing to help.

We could all argue for or agains Win_Doze OS's Me personally I like them as the userability is much easier IMO...

At anyrate though I think we all appreciate the hard work T&S does... Who still remembers EVERYTHING being done with hand watches and lap tapers??? That was hard work!!! We have so much more information available to us now and every little bit we get I am thankful for Personally I like to see my times when I get of the track... Thus our crew takes lap times of myself, my brother and some of our competitors

RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

2+2=4

Jeanne Hoffman (T&S chief for the 12 hours) is related to Tom Hoffman (am I right?), who runs a site that we have to visit if we want to see results. MyLaps would suck visitors away from his baby.

Never mind.

The explanation of why the data can't go to MyLaps is going to be a convoluted explanation of how this "is a better solution," based on pseudo-techno-babble about OS's, database backsides, and other red herrings. This will be like when our old "tech support" guy (who we called "The Inhibitor") would trot out all kinds of technical sounding excuses for doing things a particular way, when his real answer was "it would make me actually work, to do it differently."

Kirk (who's kind of glad he's not paying dues to WDCR anymore)

Brian did get out on the drivers side. Think upside down and backwards. He said he waited quite a while for help and then decided to get out himself. Not all that easy to do. Lift your weight to release the belts. Not fall on your help. Remove wheel. Remove net.

I do not expect a driver who just flipped four times to think a lot about traffic. That is the flaggers job. It is a shame there was not enough volunteers to have station 11 staffed.

dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Yeah, a few extra flaggers probably would have helped since the rotations is what likely kept 11 unmanned. Its hard to be perfect all the time. I was just happy to find that we managed to recruit enough for Pit so we had a good rotation going giving everyone a chance to relax and enjoy the race.

Kirk your right, and for many of us technology is not an issue. Your team more then other club racers if you ask me (hello packet radio.) Though I did finally get a good look at the the dipole for that setup. Truely grassroots.

But I dont have an issue with paying my dues to the region. Outside of the T&S issues of clinging onto a DOS program I have a hard time finding issues I dont see other regions battling. I think in time it could change, but you never know.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

2+2=4

Jeanne Hoffman (T&S chief for the 12 hours) is related to Tom Hoffman (am I right?), who runs a site that we have to visit if we want to see results. MyLaps would suck visitors away from his baby.

Never mind.

The explanation of why the data can't go to MyLaps is going to be a convoluted explanation of how this "is a better solution," based on pseudo-techno-babble about OS's, database backsides, and other red herrings. This will be like when our old "tech support" guy (who we called "The Inhibitor") would trot out all kinds of technical sounding excuses for doing things a particular way, when his real answer was "it would make me actually work, to do it differently."

Kirk (who's kind of glad he's not paying dues to WDCR anymore)
    [/b]

Who's the character from Dilbert, Mordac the Preventer? I'm thinking Kirk may have hit on the real reason.

Who's the character from Dilbert, Mordac the Preventer? I'm thinking Kirk may have hit on the real reason.
    [/b]
    The offtothraces site was created as a service to the region, and for no other reason.

We can all sit on our PC's and make judgments, if you want the facts, talk to Jeanne. You might not like the reason, but don't condemn a VOLUNTEER then sit on the sidelines. If you don’t like it, VOLUNTEER and do something about it.

To those who tried and didn’t get well received and those who do help out (Mgyip), I don’t mean you.

Sorry for the rant, but I am sick and tired of hearing "T&S sucks at this" and "EV sucks at that", and "the flaggers should have whatever’ed". Many of these people have never been there doing what we do to let YOU have fun on the track for little more than a piece of chicken and ridicule from the uninformed.

(stepping off soap box, putting on my nomex, ready for the flames)
    Enjoy,
    Bill

I think everyone is waiting for a decent explanation as to why MyLaps isn't suitable when almost every other Region uses it - and you guys did too last year for this same event.

Seems simple.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Just wanted to chime in and Thank all who made the 12 hour happen.
    We had a great time even though it was cut short at the 7.5 hour mark from a oil leak that caused the motor to expire. I will try it again next year.

LOST & NOT FOUND

I did lose a wheel and tire at the track. I think I may have left it near the wooden fence near Pit spot #4 if any picked it up, it's a 13in Chrome Circle wheel with a flat spotted Toyo on it. It would be nice to get it back.

ITA RX7 #7

... If you don’t like it, VOLUNTEER and do something about it. [/b]
    Okay - I volunteer. I'm sorry that I don't know the who's who in WDCR so just tell me who to contact for the AMB data, and I'll do whatever I can to be sure that it gets to mylaps.

Thanks!

Kirk

I'm sorry that I don't know the who's who in WDCR so just tell me who to contact for the AMB data, and I'll do whatever I can to be sure that it gets to mylaps.[/b]
    http://wdcr-scca.org/email/contacts.php

Look for the T&S chief...and good luck w/ that.

Email sent. Thanks, Gregg.
    K

2+2=4

Never mind.[/b]

You realize that you're starting to 'channel' Matt Weisberg, don't you ?

You realize that you're starting to 'channel' Matt Weisberg, don't you ?
    [/b]
    You mean he's gonna go off on the WDCR medical info helmet pouches any moment now???