At about the third or fourth lap through as I was clearing Station 8 I did notice a a furled flag pointing to drivers right. I was not clear as to the color ( I was a little busy). I didn't know what to think. I shared this information with the Race Officials and Stewards when questioned susequent to them visiting Station 8 during the lunch beak My understanding of a "furled black" is that it is a Start/Finish or designated "black flag station" - flag only ( I could be wrong about this), and that it might accompany a car number and be followed by a open black and car number. Now the Corner Captain is routinely at Start/Finish and may have been using his descretion for a closed black but I was unfamiliar with this practice and like I said could not make out the color. No flag was displayed on the next lap at Station 8. Keep peddlin' right? [/b]
My read on the GCR is that the furled flag (first warning) is to be displayed at Starters stand with optional number board. Open black flag is to be displayed at SS as well with a manditory number board. The open flag can also be displayed at another flag station accompanied with a number board. (2006 GCR page 57)