Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MARRS 4

Greetings. Couldn't have asked for a better race weekend. Cool and dry. I wanted to salute David Toy, ITB BMW 2002 #58 with whom I duked it out lap after lap after lap. Good clean racing fun. I took him in turn 1. He took me in 10, I took him in 1. He set me up for 1, then backed off and let me back in front of him for a yellow flag. He finally took me in 1. Good stuff. I also wanted to salute Doug Kinser ITA MR2 #03. Yeah, I know you're disappointed you didn't kick my ass again on my old tires, but your rookie stripes are off now, so bring it on! Seriously though, excellent job. Chasing you down produced my best lap time ever. Kudos for Matthew Yip, once again staying calm after finding a missing lower control bolt was the cause of some erratic handling. DOH! With the help of some friends and a couple trips for parts, the General Li was back in form. Good to see you in my mirrors! Now I've got to figure out how to keep you there.
    Don't forget to follow up on the DVD that's being offered of each race. The info was in the registration package. These guys are putting in a huge effort to make this happen and we should all support that effort. Here's an e-mail address for more info. [email protected]
    AJ
    ITA MR2 #55
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

Yes, I wanted to mention how great it was watching my race from the sidelines due to some continued overheating issues that I'm trying to diagnose. There was a spectacular race between Kirk Dohne (240SX #11) and Jon Kofod (Integra #4) for the ITA win that was determined by a deer and a missed shift on the last lap.

I got to see more craziness down in T5 then I think I've ever seen, with Mr. Yip showing why his car is called the General Li. Never have I seen such a beautiful 4-wheel drift and recovery thru there! I'd just hate to see him leave road racing for drifting, as a few of my MARRS ITA breathren like James, Nate, and Robert have done in the past few years.

There was also a great run by Owen Schaffer to take his third MARRS IT7 win in its innaugural season and a surprising finish WAAAAAY up in the order by my bowling partner :P, Patrick Pegues, in his Alfa for the ITB win.

It also looks like ITC is back after getting a "split grid" start, and five cars that went nose-to-tail for pretty much the entire race (with some unfortunate crunching of metal later).

Spectacular weather (mid-70's and no humidity) and spectacular racing. I wouldn't mind to sit and watch it all again in July for MARRS 5, but I'd really rather be racing w/ ya (and plan to)!
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Just wanted to echo AJ & Gregg's sentiments; perfect weather and great racing, at least further back in the pack where I was. I also want to thank AJ, Matt, Jason, Doug, Bryan, etc., etc., etc.(the list is too long to remember them all) for demonstrating the proper way to elbow your way past others on the first lap without leaving a mark. Some day I'm going to learn how to start races, and then you'll all be in trouble .

Also, one other name left off the list of kudos, and I wanted to give two thumbs up to, is Jason Fields, who as near as I can tell shaved about two seconds off his previous best lap time (correct me if I'm wrong Jason) on his way to a third place finish in ITA. Nice job.

Gregg get that Honda back on the track - we need someone up there keeping Kirk & Jon honest.

See you guys at MARRS V.

Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

I had a great time the whole weekend. A little fustrated about the car, but I just need to sort out the problem and fix it. It can be done and I will likely make M5 if I do any major work on the car just so I can make sure shes happy.

I think the prices for the DVD are not bad at all. I am considering the whole race weekend just because of all the awesome racing going on. Anyway, I want to thank Matt, Sco, AJ and Dave Fitzgerald for all the help this weekend while I tried to get every last HP I could out of my still anemic motor.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Here are two video clips...

1st is that last fatal corner for Kirk (but not Bambi). This decided an incredibly close ITA race:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...45199737375948

Next is Earl's view of the new MARRS "Drift King"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...43473582081185
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Nothing like turn 5 at Summit Point. Sorry to hear about your mechanical problems gregg. I hope you and Yip can come up to Nelson this year. There's a black civic winning ita races up here. How rare is that?

Brad we miss you down in the woods though.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Brad we miss you down in the woods though.
    [/b]
    Pack up your party wagon and come up here. Lets race.It's not that far. I wonder what it would be like if about a hundred marrs drivers came to Nelson Ledges. I think there was about that many that went to the Glen last year. I don't know how many were in the 9 lap ita race. The things we do for points.

Just wanted to thank Gregg for patching up my fuel leak which I didn't notice until the first group went out on Sunday. You made it so I could get back out there and feel like a part of things once again! I got 6 good laps in before the car started cutting out on me in turn 6 (had to be fuel pressure or something cuz that's the only spot it would die on me.... Or that's my guess....) but at least I managed to knock some rust off me as well as shaving almost another second off my previous best lap times. Matt, I tried to stay with ya but I just don't have the talent or the car yet! :-) At least I could see you still until the motor started cutting off on me! Anyhoot, thanks again Gregg and thanks to all of you for letting me play out there with you all!

Jesus Kirk!!!! <--- What you would like to do if you ever catch the deer. ;-) So at the end, when you yell something.... I was trying to hear what you said.... Was it "I hate venison"?

Here are two video clips...

1st is that last fatal corner for Kirk (but not Bambi). This decided an incredibly close ITA race:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...45199737375948[/b]
    Why yes indeed.. He lifted just a touch and that decided the outcome... That stinks....
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Actually listen very very closely. He lifts for the deer, takes the turn and shifts into the wrong gear!!!! he told me he hit 3rd gear and zinged the motor comming out of turn 10 and that video you can hear it. I am pretty sure he was not cursing his missed shift cuz the car sounded very unhappy when he was loading the trailer.

Brad - I would take you up (running in B though.) But im having the normal 1st year machanical whoas and its pretty much sucked my budget to a point where I am considering droppping MARRS races. Though right now my game plan is to figure out why the car seems down on power and probably run M5 to make sure shes ready for the Glen.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Angry

It certainly was a beautiful weekend for a race, especially given the warm weather earlier in the week. The event was a bit trying with a house full of friends (competitors and crew) and a broken racecar but I managed to survive. Many, many, thanks to Doug for suggesting to tap out the control arm nut and actually performing the work. Once I had the right parts, the fix took a few minutes but the hours leading up to that point were certainly not the most pleasant.

Congratulations to Lauren for getting back into the car - the same car that was a theft-recovery in March!! You could have fired off the grapling hook and hung onto the General Li BUT with the power going down by the minute, you&#39;d probably have wanted to just push me out of the way instead. I had quite a bit of fun racing with Earl and Jason (ITB Jetta), that&#39;s fer sure. I think Earl will remember the 3-wide pass I attempted in T1 for a while I couldn&#39;t help myself - your car is nice and wide, thus creating this HUGE windbreak, just like my car does for all those pesky little cars like the RX7s.

I was a bit surprised that the car stepped out and was even more surprised that the rear stuck so well when I "hung it all out" in T5 - too bad I don&#39;t have the Dixie horn installed (yet). Also Contrats to Jason (240SX) who commented to me on Saturday that he was tired of reading the "Please Stop Passing This Car" license plate on the General Li.

Now if someone would post the videos somewhere where I can actually see them - I can&#39;t access Google Videos at work
    Haz-Matt Racing

Wow! What a great weekend - I didn&#39;t expect it and that made it all the better. Thank&#39;s Earl for the kind words. I did knock 2 seconds off my fast time during the race. I have to say I had many laps of great battles with Mark Johnston who finished 4th and John Cummins who came in 5th. John passed in a couple new places and we raced clean and close. I&#39;ll echo Gregg&#39;s comments - the chute and turn 5 were crazy. Weekend thoughts:

1 - New tires are cool (first time ever on new rubber).
    2 - Gregg - you can take another weekend off if you want - but I&#39;m looking forward to trying to catch you.
    3 - Good thing Mark told me to go to Impound - had no idea I did that well.
    4 - Now I know where the trophy tent is

I went to look at my tape of the race - but the tape ran out on the grid.... Now, just have to have another run like that.

Can&#39;t wait to try again - as addictive as racing is in general - getting to the top half of the grid is really bad.

Congrats to Jon on the win . Matthew - way to slide man... and Lauren - glad to see you back.

Jason.
    1989 ITA 240sx - #21 MARRS Series

http://www.timelapseracing.com

Thanks Jason!!!!

Cool videos, and congrats to all! The deer reminded me of years ago at Bridgehampton. The &#39;antler&#39; signal from the corner workers was a common occurance! :119:

Angry

Nothing like turn 5 at Summit Point. Sorry to hear about your mechanical problems gregg. I hope you and Yip can come up to Nelson this year. [/b]
    I don&#39;t think travelling is in the cards for this year. I will be at Mid-Ohio on Jun 23-26 for the Grand Am Cup race but will probably be running around like a madman (nothing new for me except that I&#39;m working for a different team). I&#39;m even on the fence about Watkins Glen - I wouldn&#39;t mind going but am a bit frustrated at spending all the money to tow and pay for a hotel in exchange for 5-7 green laps. I still want to get the new motor installed so that I can beat up on Jason&#39;s 240SX again (provided he slows down for me) and maybe even start challenging the back of the pack again since the General Li is losing power faster than a dictator in a Banana Republic.
    Haz-Matt Racing

Cool videos, and congrats to all! The deer reminded me of years ago at Bridgehampton. The &#39;antler&#39; signal from the corner workers was a common occurance! :119:
    [/b]
    Another deer crossed the track at the 400 marker for turn 1 during the smallbore practice. The only fauna during the itc/srx7 race was the 2 groundhogs "playing" beside the track more or less across from sound

Another deer crossed the track at the 400 marker for turn 1 during the smallbore practice. The only fauna during the itc/srx7 race was the 2 groundhogs "playing" beside the track more or less across from sound
    [/b]

Greg,

Several years ago at Bridge, I saw the results of what was at the time an ITGT Camaro that waffled a deer on the back stretch, right before the braking point for Turn 9 (about the fastest point on the track). The car was waffled, and it was lucky for the driver that the animal hit the car on the p/s A-pillar!

I don&#39;t think travelling is in the cards for this year. I will be at Mid-Ohio on Jun 23-26 for the Grand Am Cup race but will probably be running around like a madman (nothing new for me except that I&#39;m working for a different team).
    [/b]

Hey Matt,

Who are you going to be working for? I should be out there helping out with the Davis Motorsports team, stop by and say hi if you get a chance!

-MC
    Mark Carpenter
    GGS Racing.com
    FP Integra #38
    ITA Acura Integra #17 --SOLD--

UNC-Charlotte and CT