Thread: What would you build out as your car if you had a budget of 7-10k

So I've been looking to get a E30 or E36 325 or 328 and run it in auto-x, BMWCCACR, and perhaps SCCA ITS if I ever get to that level eventually. How does the 328 classify in SCCA, is it in ITS?

But because of SIR, I am reconsidering my options.

Anyways, if you had a budget of around 7-10k, what you start out with and why?

$7-10K? Hmm, I remember thinking I could do my whole car for that. Boy was I wrong.

If I only had $7-10K to spend, I'd buy something already built. Way cheaper in the long run.
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

BUILD a car for 7 to 10K???

Hmmm...even if the donor is free...thats a tough number to hit.

Sure it can be done, but do you want to be competitive? THATS the question. An E36 motor alone runs 12K..add tires a cage, wheels dampers, safety gear...you'll fly past 20K faster than Coke out of a dropped bottle.

IF you want to be competitive in SCCA, and spend that amount, I think buying an ITB Honda, like last years ARRC winning Accord is your best choice.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

To answer your first question, the 328 is not classified in IT. The E36 325 is classified.

As for 7-10K, the previous advice to buy is spot on. If you really want to build, pick something other than a BMW and pick something other than ITS. You will find tha a lot of stuff is just more expensive because it is BMW or ITS.

ITA is looking to be a good class. You should be able to find some good options there.

Sorry, by 7-10k I meant for the basics...

7-10k in car and perhaps some brakes, shocks, springs, tires.

This is a gradual build up over 2 years, not an immediate race car.

So if the E36 328 isn't classified, where would it run in SCCA Club racing?

Sorry, by 7-10k I meant for the basics...

7-10k in car and perhaps some brakes, shocks, springs, tires.

This is a gradual build up over 2 years, not an immediate race car.

So if the E36 328 isn't classified, where would it run in SCCA Club racing?
    [/b]
    With any degree of luck, it will run in ITR in '07. Otherwise, it's ITE.

Be careful, that 'brakes, shocks, springs, and tires' budget could hit $3k - $4k w/o too much trouble.

Thanks where does the E30 325 class and is it competitive?

When I built my Saturn, I thought I could do it for $8K, including the car, just for the basics. I was wrong. Even after I budgeted everything out, all the little stuff kept getting to me. New stock lower control arms because the old ones were shot. New CV joints because the old ones were shot. Etc.

If the car had been brand new, sure, $7K for the cage, firebottle, seat, and other required stuff is possible, but if the car isn't new...

(Geez! This really doesn't sound like me. I LOVED building my car. I know every nut and bolt on that car and know who to blame when it fails. I think I've just accepted the fact that building the car cost me more money in the long run than just buying one used. Of course, that doesn't stop me from delusions of grandeur about building my own FC or C/DSR...)
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Of course, perusing the IT Classifieds finds this for $9200:

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=8217

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

You can build an ITB car that is capbable of running up front with a good driver for $10K or buy one for about $7K. I think the Accord Lxi is an excellent option! Or do something in ITA. As others have said, ITS will be very expensive. And don't forget, typically the faster the car goes the more it will cost to run it (tires, brakes, parts for the car, ectera). Yeah, not the answer you wanted to hear but we're giving you honest answers.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Folks, I have less than $3K in my Fiesta, and that is over a period of years. My son and I just gave it a new coat of paint for this year, and the cost was under $75.00 Sure, not really competetive, but I'm on the track.

Russ
    Russ

Acutally you could build an E30, ITA version, for under 10k and have a first class car with the exception of the motor. After sorting you could step up to the plate for a rebuild. Now, I am talking Cage, Ground Control, Koni DA, headers, exhaust, chip, seat, harnesses, etc. Definitely can be done: naturally, labor is all yours

In addition, you can run SCCA, BMWCCA, NASA, PBOC, and depending on the year of the donor car, HSR and SVRA. The E30 makes a very versitile race car. Good luck, Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

If your area runs the class, a Spec RX7. You could then race for 2 years on the leftover budget.
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

IT-7 cost to build - approximate costs from memory....
    '83 body $300
    SAS Racing motor $4,000
    stainless steel header $300
    exhaust and muffler $200
    good roll cage $1,200
    aluminum radiator $300
    race seat and harness $300
    window net with hardware $100
    removable steering wheel $200
    AMB transponder $200
    adjustable shocks $600
    coil overs and springs $400
    race clutch and pressure plate $200
    gauge panel and sensors $300
    tachometer $100
    tower strut brace $100
    rear track bar $100
    4:88 rear $500
    couple sets of wheels $400
    tires $800
    air dam $200
    Paint job and decals $300

I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff. Plus a few hundred hours. But you can go way over $10,000 easily (twice that for an ITS).
    Or buy one already built for half that. Just look over what it has beside just a plain old stock engine and chassis and make sure it hasn't been wrecked.
    Any one in the market for a nice new IT-7 with a new log book and 2006 annual tech inspection with a ton of spare body parts.. for pictures and description emailme at [email protected]
    Mike Guenther
    ITR #11
    http://www.improvedtouring.com