Jake,

Thanks for stating a new thread on this. I was going to do it, but have been out of the office all day, and just got back. I'll re-cap my earlier proposal on this. Let me preface what I'm about to say with this. My proposal will not change the number of races that are currently held, be they currently labeled as National or Regional. Here's my proposal, in a nut shell.

First off, get rid of the Regional and National distinction. Any category that has a seperate Category Specification section in the GCR, should be eligilbe to go to the Runoffs. That means all classes in those categories should have a chance at going. If there is going to be a limit on the number of classes that can attend, then participation numbers will dictate which classes go. But, that eligibility should be determined at the class level, not at the category level.

Now, how do you determine which cars get to go. As I said in my prefacing statement, nothing would change, in terms of the number of races, or if they used to be called 'National' or 'Regiona'. They would receive new designations. 'National' races would now be referred to as 'Qualifying' races (i.e. qualifying for the Runoffs). 'Regional' races would be referred to as 'non-Qualifying' races (i.e. you can't get points towards going to the Runoffs). The only thing that would change w/ 'Qualifying' races, over the current 'National' races, is that any car that is in a class w/ a seperate CS section in the GCR would be eligible to run. In other words, all IT cars could run at 'Qualifying' races, in their respective categories, but something like GTPinto or SRX7 would not be eligible to run. 'non-Qualifying' races would look no different than current 'Regional' races, all the classes listed in the GCR could run, as well as any Region-specific classes like GTPinto, ITE, and SRX7.

One of the concerns that's been raised, is the issue of license level and driver experience. I don't think much would have to change, in that regard. Anyone w/ a valid comp. license could run a 'non-Qualifying' race, and you would need a 'Qualifying race' endorsement, if you wanted to run 'Qualifying' races. There would be no need to change any of the current licensing requirements, just simply re-name them.

One of the concerns about IT going 'National' is, that it will make it more expensive for everyone to run, as those that want to 'go to the show' will spend more. Actually, I think just the opposite will happen. I think it will actually make it 'easier' on the folks that opt to run 'non-Qualifying' races, as those that want to 'go to the show' will focus on the 'Qualifying' races, and spend their time and money there. If you don't think that's the case, just look at how many current, serious, National racers run Regionals w/ their cars. I don't even think you many of the SM folks running both.

If ITR gets approved (and I sure hope it does), I think it will really take off, and will be even more popular than ITS and ITR. Couple that w/ the fact that several of the ITR cars will be faster than EP cars, and I think you'll see a lot of people wanting to run ITR. Give those people the opportunity to run for a true National Championship, and I think you'll see some really good racing and a lot of very interested participants.

Another opposing view doesn't want to lose 'their spot' at the Runoffs. Point is, if you've got a class that can put 30 - 40 cars on the track and a class that can only put 10 - 15 cars on the track, it may be harsh, but the lower numbers should stay home. It's a better show for the fans, and better shows are what attract interest, both from a participation level (read: more members), but from a support level (read: sponsorship).

I don't really see a whole lot needing to change to implement something like this, other than some long-held, deep-seated views.

Thoughts?