Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAVE Road Atlanta!

I'm quite familiar with the chicken farm smell and wish it were back. The problem now is that the smell is gone because the chicken farms near Road Atlanta been replaced by subdivisions.
    Bob Hudson
    National Steward

They are still there or at least the smell was as of a couple of months ago. PU!

Tom Sprecher

I wouldn't be as worried about the new neighbors causing a row as much as I'd worry about Mr. Panoz suddenly changing his mind and wanting to turn the track into a wine grape pasteur or condo's. About as much likelyhood IMHO.

Doesn't hurt to do a little preemtive lobbying, but I see this going the way of the hog farm story. No problem.
    [/b]
    Very often the present owner of such prime land becomes aware(somebody makes a God Awful wad of Money Offer) and zip away it goes. Don't Know Mr Panoz and it is obvious He has a love of the sport with all His ventures and support of Racing. Might just become toooo prime a spot to Hold on to. PS we have lots of Hog farms up here in the North Woods of PA and yes they have a very distinK AIR
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Road Atlanta = Historical Landmark maybe?
    Joel Whiteside
    SEDiv CFR
    ITA 1986 Toyota MR2 (comming soon...) (yes, still)

I sent this out to everone on my region's announce list. A lot of it is taken from Road Atlanta's letter to the Atlanta Region SCCA. If anyone wants to cut and paste to some other forum or email list any or all of this please feel free and I don't care if my name stays in the message.

ROAD ATLANTA’S EXISTENCE IS UNDER AN IMMEDIATE THREAT AND I ASK ALL SCCA MEMBERS TO IMMEDIATELY EMAIL, WRITE, OR CALL THE HALL COUNTY COMMISIONERS LISTED BELOW BEFORE JUNE 19TH TO LET THEM KNOW JUST HOW IMPORTANT ROAD ATLANTA IS TO THE MOTORSPORTS COMMUNITY AND TO REITERATE ITS POSITIVE ECONOMIC IMPACT ON HALL COUNTY. ACT NOW.

An Atlanta Developer has contracted to purchase a tract of property off of Highway 211 that is directly adjacent to Road Atlanta. In fact, the property line is fifty feet from the actual race track along the Turn 9 backstretch. Nine acres will be reserved for commercial development and the remaining acreage will be developed into HIGH DENSITY RESIDENTIAL. The project will be called the “Park at Riverside”.

Road Atlanta is one of the premier road racing circuits in North America if not the world. Its unique topography with its challenging elevation changes combined with a fast and flowing course design can not be duplicated on any other real estate. Since the 1970s Road Atlanta has operated with the protection of reasonable zoning that provided appropriate non-residential development around the track.

The current REQUEST TO CHANGE THE ZONING for this new project to allow residential development will no doubt lead to homeowner’s complaints, petitions for sound abatement or limited operating hours. This requested zoning change would seriously challenge Road Atlanta’s core business. Road Atlanta attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. According to Hall County’s own Visitor Bureau statistics, Road Atlanta contributes 53.5 MILLION DOLLARS a year to the Hall county economy alone. That is 27% of Hall County’s total tourism expenditures from visitors.

This project is up for review on JUNE 19TH with the Hall County Planning Commsion. Pleae help save an irreplaceable “institution” in Motorsports by contacting the Hall County Commissioners. If you have personally visited Road Atlanta, let them know how you spend your hard earned dollars in their county because of Road Atlanta.

Hall County Commissioners:
    Hall County Website
    Tom Oliver
    Chairman
    [email protected]
    Deborah Lynn
    Commissioner District 1
    [email protected]
    Billy Powell
    District 2
    [email protected]
    Seve Gailey