I sent this out to everone on my region's announce list. A lot of it is taken from Road Atlanta's letter to the Atlanta Region SCCA. If anyone wants to cut and paste to some other forum or email list any or all of this please feel free and I don't care if my name stays in the message.

ROAD ATLANTA’S EXISTENCE IS UNDER AN IMMEDIATE THREAT AND I ASK ALL SCCA MEMBERS TO IMMEDIATELY EMAIL, WRITE, OR CALL THE HALL COUNTY COMMISIONERS LISTED BELOW BEFORE JUNE 19TH TO LET THEM KNOW JUST HOW IMPORTANT ROAD ATLANTA IS TO THE MOTORSPORTS COMMUNITY AND TO REITERATE ITS POSITIVE ECONOMIC IMPACT ON HALL COUNTY. ACT NOW.

An Atlanta Developer has contracted to purchase a tract of property off of Highway 211 that is directly adjacent to Road Atlanta. In fact, the property line is fifty feet from the actual race track along the Turn 9 backstretch. Nine acres will be reserved for commercial development and the remaining acreage will be developed into HIGH DENSITY RESIDENTIAL. The project will be called the “Park at Riverside”.

Road Atlanta is one of the premier road racing circuits in North America if not the world. Its unique topography with its challenging elevation changes combined with a fast and flowing course design can not be duplicated on any other real estate. Since the 1970s Road Atlanta has operated with the protection of reasonable zoning that provided appropriate non-residential development around the track.

The current REQUEST TO CHANGE THE ZONING for this new project to allow residential development will no doubt lead to homeowner’s complaints, petitions for sound abatement or limited operating hours. This requested zoning change would seriously challenge Road Atlanta’s core business. Road Atlanta attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. According to Hall County’s own Visitor Bureau statistics, Road Atlanta contributes 53.5 MILLION DOLLARS a year to the Hall county economy alone. That is 27% of Hall County’s total tourism expenditures from visitors.

This project is up for review on JUNE 19TH with the Hall County Planning Commsion. Pleae help save an irreplaceable “institution” in Motorsports by contacting the Hall County Commissioners. If you have personally visited Road Atlanta, let them know how you spend your hard earned dollars in their county because of Road Atlanta.

Hall County Commissioners:
Hall County Website
Tom Oliver
Chairman
[email protected]
Deborah Lynn
Commissioner District 1
[email protected]
Billy Powell
District 2
[email protected]
Seve Gailey