Thread: Camber plate mounting / reinforcement rules

I need some clarification if possible. I'm looking at installing some camber plates to my ITB Audi Coupe. I've been reading the GCR and in section 5d, it says:

"If slotted plates are used, they shall be located on existing
    chassis structure and may not serve as a reinforcement
    for that structure. Material may be added or removed
    from the top of the strut tower to facilitate installation
    of adjuster plate."

So... Here's what my stock shock towers look like (not my car, disregard the V8 going into it in the pic):

They're domed and do not offer a flat surface to mount the plate to. I've seen another person do this to their (street) car:

Basically, they beheaded the tower, added a flat plate to the top, tied that into the inner fender well and then used more steel to wrap around the gap and tie the plate into the rest of the tower. What's the ruling on this? I'm thinking that would be seen as reinforcement. Any ideas?

Maybe I could simply cut the dome off and then make a flat plate to cover the hole without the side pieces shown above and then mount the camber plate to that... no side "reinforcement. Thoughts?

Thanks...

Elliott
    81 Audi Coupe ITB

Elliot thier is a big "discussion" or nasty argument going on in another thread
    http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=8200

In our cars we cut enough material away to weld the camber plate directly to the unibody. I don't see the need to build up a plate to "mount" the camber plate to.

Audi coupe advice:

In the Audi be careful when mounting/welding the plate to be sure that you can still close the hood with the strut in place. The cars do not have a lot of room before you add in the camber plate, so material has to be removed inorder to get the plates in and still have room.

Also I would suggest that when you mount the plate have it so that when adjusted at FULL positive camber you are still at a negative position so that you can maximize the negative camber when adjusting. We run over 5 degrees of camber on some tracks!!!

Attached is one shot of Stephens car with the lower plate of a camber/caster setup already welded into the original unibody.

Below is a shot of my car (well my old nose) with basic camber plates mounted on the unibody. My new car is the same with exception that it is welded instead of bolted. more pictures can be found on this page of our website: http://www.rstperformance.com/pictures/rst...di51rebuild.htm

hope this helps!!!

Elliot-

Also if I see this correctly the picture you have shown is a camber/caster plate, not just a camber plate, thus the need to have a "plate" to mount the camber plate to.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Guys, I love it when people know what a camber/castor plate within the ITCS rule is.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14