Thread: For rules trivia buffs

After 4 years of racing I had to stop at the end of the 2003 season. I'm planning to do a driver's school this fall and hopefully get my license back . How many IT rule changes have there been since the '03 season that will affect my car (ITB BMW 2002)?
    MARRS ITB BMW 2002 #2
    O=00=O

For this year, not many, other than check your weight. For next year, the biggest change is the protective bars in the doors for protection. Read the GCR, you're safer that way than reading anything on this site about rules.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Besides weight & roll bar issues, the only other items I can think of are belt/harness life, and insulating the kill switch terminals....off the top of my head that is....

I agree with Char...get the online copy of the GCR and go thru it just to be sure.
    2002 Cen-Div ITC Champ
    (Converted to G-Prod in 2003)
    (Bumped to H-Prod in 2008)
    2008, 2011 HP Cen-Div Champ
    2011 HP National Champ

Not to mention the new cars in your class, like the Accord and Prelude and CRX and Integra, plus the weight changes to other B cars.

Welcome back! I think the 2002s are still running strong in the MARRS series, if I'm not mistaken. I love those cars!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Hey Dave, nice to see you again!!!! As others have pointed out, the biggest thing that has changed is the side protection. Several cars have had weight changes, to make them better fit the standardized classification process.

Other small things, belts can only be 2 years old, unless you get FIA approved belts. Windows nets are only allowed to release from the top, and drop down. No more nets that flip up onto the roof. You may also want to contact your RE about getting a waiver for the school (unless of course, you just want to run the school). Who knows, you might be able to run the Labor Day dbl this year.

Oh yeah, one big rule change that I forgot to mention. You can stuff a MoTec EMS unit into your stock ECU housing!! :P

Drop me an email or a PM, would love to catch up.

Dave, ya can replace your any rubber bushing material with Spherical bearings. :P & ya can weld em in.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Tow Hooks and SFI padding; insulated Kill Switches; FIA seats do not need a back brace

[attachmentid=467]Thanks for the info, guys. I haven't checked this forum much since I stopped racing and forgot what a good bunch of guys hang out, how helpful you are. I can't wait to get back on the track again, believe me.

Jake, I'm familiar with you a little from Pelican and the Early S Registry. You're right about '02s in the MARRS series. I was at Summit last weekend and there were 6 on the track and 2 other regulars had to miss that weekend.

Bill, I dropped you a PM, bud.

Here's a pic of my car from my last race, the '03 Labor Day Double at Summit. It's a '76 with backdated bumpers.

O=00=O
    MARRS ITB BMW 2002 #2
    O=00=O

cool signature!! Be sure to go to the SCCA website and watch the addedndums for the fastracks...they dont put them in the magazine anymore they are only online.
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Dave, ya can replace your any rubber bushing material with Spherical bearings. :P & ya can weld em in.
    [/b]
    To be more correct, the above phrase might be more accurate if it were written"
    "Ya can replace you ANY bushing material with metal sperical bearings & ya can TACK weld them in"

Good point on the window net, but it MUST open down, but it CAN open up, too. No sanse changing the bottom setup if thats the current setup. Nice to have it out of the way completely sometimes.

Dave, I definately recognize your name...whats your pelican handle/car?

I have a yellow '73 911E and an '89 Black S2 (new to the stable..I call it "Shaggy", LOL)
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Dave,

As others suggested, check your GCR for anything you need to do, but also SCCA online for all the FasTrack news, as some of the items people have written here are "Proposed only" rules ( the upper release window net among others) and are not required YET. Just make sure you see what is actually required before you spend the $$ on something you don't have to (unless you just want to!!) They have also proposed a passenger side net that hooks to, or near the dashboard, to keep things from flailing around, but nothing is officially required yet.
    Welcome back, I had a couple of off years myself, and it's a good feeling to know you can get back into things.
    Mark Larson
    CFR #164010
    Mark P. Larson
    Fast Family Racing
    #83 GP Nissan 210
    CFR #164010
    3X CFR ITC Regional Champ
    1995 SEDIV ECR Champ
    Go Big Or Go Home!

***ya can TACK weld them in***

Jake, please provide specificatios for a TACK weld............

Sorry for the tangent Dave it's just something I need to do because of some of the attitudes on this site.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

***ya can TACK weld them in***

Jake, please provide specificatios for a TACK weld............

Sorry for the tangent Dave it's just something I need to do because of some of the attitudes on this site.
    [/b]
    Well David, I have to assume you refer to my attitude when you say that. My "attitude" was merely correcting a mis stated rule.

Define tack weld??? Well, I imagine your strut top that attaches to the firewall is more than a "tack" eh?

Like any other rule, it was decided that there were many possile applications, and that a narrow definition would be improper. So, like many other rules it is left to the process to sort out, should one competitor object that his competitors tack exceeds what he deems proper.

Back you your regularly scheduled thread.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Would you two get a room already!!

Jake, I meant to add that to my last post. My Pelican and Early S ID is DaveE. I have a '78 SC, a '65 911 and a '65 912, plus a rather ratty 914. The company I work for took our company vehicles from us last year so I've been driving the SC alot, with a big smile.
    MARRS ITB BMW 2002 #2
    O=00=O

please provide specificatios for a TACK weld............

[/b]
    i think it is less than a 1 pound spool of mig wire if i understand the other posts correctly.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

***Well, I imagine your strut top that attaches to the firewall is more than a "tack" eh?***

Naw Jake, my strut top attaches to the fender well/top chassis structure & IIRC those welds are spot welds approx 3/16 diameter & I don't know the penetration integerty of the spot welds.

Bill, life is good with me & I'm sure Jake is ok. Hmmm ??? Jake, you ok ?

Tom, I beleive you are spot on.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Jake, because I am one of the nicer guys in the world (don't think small) I will share my two bed/pool motel room with you at the HPT Runoffs 10/8 through 10/14/2006 & maybe longer if I drive a support vehicle out for Loshak. Ya know the place where they leave the light on.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14