Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cool Vests

Go Kirk!

Always looking at the other side of the coin.

There have been some good articals in sports car about endurance training for racing this month (july.) Last month they covered diet, both very good reads.

I have fallen off my excersize routine since about march (finding the motivation.) But in general I am pretty active overall so I have not gained much in weight. But I started back this week and can already feel the difference. I already sweat alot and can handle heat well, but I think if I ever did long stints I would likely need some air piped around me at the least.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

I'm with kirk on this one. Except my 'poison' is swimming. Actually, I do some meets and long distance swims too. Traditionally, the National Championship season is over in April/May, so it coincides well with racing. But these past few years i've been doing a big charity swim here in the Northeast across Long Island Sound, which is in August. Last year Ii had to do it with two broken ribs, thanks to a qualifying (!) crash where I was the meat in a 4 wide sandwich at the Glen. I will NOT be doing the swim this year with broken ribs!

But, if there's a pool around it's a phenominal way to get in shape. Great cardio, and you use more muscles than you'd think doing it. Plus, it's not bad on the joints. I still get hot in the car, but a standard regional race is no big deal. I did a 3 hour enduro alone in August....and that was fine too, but it was only 85 or so.

So, my mantra is, fitness first, fancy stuff later.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I have another way to keep cool in the car. I just call my ex-wife before every race. That sends a chill down my spine that lasts for hours.
    Roy Armstrong
    Rotating Roy Racing
    Datsun 510 ITC

cool shirt from your favorite supplier (~$125) ... 12 VDC 500 gallon per hour bilge pump (~15-20) ... maybe eight feet of hose (with leftovers) ... 8-16 qt cooler with lid that seals _well_ (~20) ... miscellaneous hardware and sealant crap that's probably lying around in your garage ... a little angle iron or a few eye bolts and a couple of nylon straps to retain it ... you're pretty much where the FAST system that retails around $385 gets you ... if you really want to get snazzy, drop the $40 or so with your race supplier to get an extra set of the dry breaks to put on the cooler to mate with the ones on the shirt
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

Deltona, FL - about 30 miles from the Speedway

The Original Cool Vest I highly recommended it.

Perry Young

I am making my own water flow cool suit
    one of these costs about $500 :

OR , you can pick up one of these on ebay for $40:

if you get one with a pad, it comes with the quick disconnects already. stich some tubing on a tee shirt, and you will need a 12$ power reducer for 12v. easy stuff.

total expense of about $60-$75