Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LRP's great improvement "The Widow Maker"

Dave and Jake.

I wiill follow your suggestion but I always say that unless you have authority behind you, you lack the full power of your argument. When we deal with the state in defective design cases wher someone is killed or injured, notice is the most important thing. The more letters we get from racers,fans, officials the better we stand a chance at revisions. So lets write, it could save your life or you best friend's.

I would love to know the architect that made the changes. Usually they are good and sometimes the client doesn't follow their advise.In that case you have economics as the reason.

I'll let you know what happens.

Im still reeling from Doctor Zimmermen's death at the uphill at LRP last year. He was a good buddy and every time I go there I think of him.Life is so special I want to do all I can to perserve it as best I can. (Sorry for the rant)
    BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN
    Love "the commander"
    Mike Cefalo

Let's not forget, shall we, that the track is still and all private property. If they decide they don't want us there, we're gone.
    And don't you think for one second that we are bullet proof and invincible just because we've been there forever. If we come at them swinging, then don't overlook the fact that they have the right to stop SCCA from racing there, and could very well do so.
    We ALL want a safe, fun place to race. Coming at them with threats of calling the CTSP, or worse, letting it get to the stage of talking of lawsuits and lawyers, will NOT improve anything for anybody. Especially when the CTSP probably signed off on the design of the uphill in the first place.
    I'm sorry you lost your friend. It's a terrible blow, and would hurt anyone. But approaching this situation by involving the police is detrimental to all. Keep it within the channels, and see what response we get. I'm betting that they will be much more amenable to suggestions than demands.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Most heartily agreed Steph! For those not in the know, LRP has been a long time friend of the SCCA racer, but, honestly, times have changed, and they are very accutely aware of money. Multiple personale changes at the track have reduced the institutional memory. Making profits and cutting losses is paramount in their minds. Our events cost the most, and are the biggest headaches from what I understand.

Recently, the track promised to help reduce certain costs that were associated with the rental. From my understanding, in the end, those costs weren&#39;t attended to as hoped. Current rent for a weekend at the track now costs SCCA NER in the range of $44,000, or thereabouts.

The track has, by all reports, clubs clamoring for dates. Their allegance is of course to pro dates, and they have jumped thru hoops courting NASCAR for the Busch Series races. IMSA is the reason for the safety changes in the first place.

I am NOT a fan of playing bully and threatening in this case. The response might very well be to rent the track to clubs using stricter 13/13 racing rules...for lesser fees, but greatly reduced headaches. As it is our schedule is being eroded steadily, and if the proposed injunction modification becomes permanent, more dates will be lost ...to us.

I do not think the SCCA is in the position to throw it&#39;s weight around right now.

I might be wrong, but it&#39;s one of those thin ice deals, once it&#39;s broken, it&#39;s impossible to go backwards...you&#39;re in trouble.

I would be interested in hearing from parties more closely associated with the actual relationship between the track management and the club management before I went further at the very least.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Wow...just got back from the Regional/Drivers school at Lime Rock, and the legend grows.

The "widow maker" played a roll again this weekend. I&#39;ll let those involved post the facts, but, just to get rumours flowing..(kidding!), I&#39;ll sum it up-

1- I was told about a Miata that struck the new tire barrier in front of the station and went up and "over the fence". No injuries that I am aware of...although the flaggers were no doubt spooked!

2- The qualifying sessions were held in wet conditions. Which means, as many know, a lot of very unique driving lines at Lime Rock. One particular car in ITA was protested by the corner flag captain at the uphill for dangerous driving, and I understand a counter protest was entered. I understand the protested driver felt he was driving the track the same way he did last year, (in the rain) although another witness felt differently. I didn&#39;t hear about the protest results, but the driver started the race in his as qualified grid position, which would suggest it wasn&#39;t upheld, or there was no sanction.

So far, the evidence does seem to suggest an alarming increase in the severity of incidents at that corner.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

[attachmentid=468]the corner in question from today

Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

I was at LRP the day the last fatality happend. Anytime a driver leaves us, as a few drivers who I grew up with have, it always has and will continue to be dreadful. However, a big however, is that you must not place the blame on a racetrack like Limerock. If there are responses, I will expand on this topic.
    Never forget, there isn&#39;t an event in the country, at any level, that waivers must be signed first. There is a reason for that.
    If the circuit you are entering an event at is felt to be unsafe to you, that&#39;s not a problem, simply do not sign and turn around.

Wow...just got back from the Regional/Drivers school at Lime Rock, and the legend grows.

The "widow maker" played a roll again this weekend. I&#39;ll let those involved post the facts, but, just to get rumours flowing..(kidding!), I&#39;ll sum it up-

2- The qualifying sessions were held in wet conditions. Which means, as many know, a lot of very unique driving lines at Lime Rock. One particular car in ITA was protested by the corner flag captain at the uphill for dangerous driving, and I understand a counter protest was entered. I understand the protested driver felt he was driving the track the same way he did last year, (in the rain) although another witness felt differently. I didn&#39;t hear about the protest results, but the driver started the race in his as qualified grid position, which would suggest it wasn&#39;t upheld, or there was no sanction.

[/b]
    I was the ITA dirver that was protested. The protest was for driving off the race line in an unsafe manner.

First I want to say that I hold SCCA in the highest regard. In short I love this club. My roots in SCCA stem from F&C - I flagged for 4 years before I set foot into a race car in 1997. I am incredibly grateful for all the volunteers that make our events safe and fun, second to none are the Corner Workers - You guys (the unisex version of guys) are great!! - Thank You for your generosity and time and for keeping us safe. I also want to say that the SOM, Chief, Chair, Driver Rep and all Officals and Stewards who considered the protest were professional and courteous. We have rules that govern us and I beleive they exist, in part, to keep ALL of us safe and hopefully leave room for improvement. Anything I say about the protest is my response, read that as my version, and in no way meant to minimze the process, the outcome, or what happened. I consider this a seriuos issue. Okay?

Anyone who has raced with me at LRP prior to this year knows I love LRP in the rain. Call me sick but rain can be the great equlaizer especcaially if you know, and are comfortable, with the "wet line." In the uphill between Station 7 and 8 I have always run a wide, a drivers side left "wet race line". Many who have seen me think it&#39;s a bit carzy- I used to run extremely close to the ARMCO in the uphill (how close? I could touch it with my hand close) - anyone who has tried it knows that it&#39;s the safest place on the track in compromising, wet conditions. I must also ad that it is not neccessarily the fastest wet race line but it is the safest. On this section of track I like to place the car just off the "traditonal" racing surface on a section that I will term "run-off" - a section of asphalt that is rough (rougher than the "regular" track surface), and provides tremendous grip. I can&#39;t tell you all my secrets about this line, although I will ad that most are afraid to run out there as it is some what intimidating to the driver. I will say that one key for me were the Hoosier Dirt Stockers although now I use the new Molded Rains - a tremendous wet tire (your welcome - I love you too Bob Smart) Keep in mind that this is the area now termed "widow maker" (sexest to say the least), and has now been expanded with additonal new asphalt and a ARMCO extension. - I no way have I used the new asphalt surface or am I an advocate for using the new surface. The surface that I use is the "old" asphalt. On that note I suspect, based on what I have been told, that this great secret will be taken away. That would sadden me because I beleive it would compromise the safest part of the track, the best wet race line at LRP.

Prior to the expansion of this section of track my wet line has never been in question, Due to recent events (read that as wrecks), one as early as this weekend- I beleive the Corner Workers were feeling at risk of injury and this is seemed to be a good "stepping off point" in an effort to correct the problem. In an early session a SM got into trouble and compromised the safety of the corner workers so I completely unsderstand the issue. The workes unfamilar with my line were feeling at risk - that was the issue.

In the end Officals and Stewards did not uphold the protest - No rules were violated. I made it a point to wait until the day was over, and with cold beer in hand, offered my apoligies to the the corener captian and his team for scaring them, trying to reasure them I had the car under control.

I&#39;m not sure what will happen going forward but my hope is this: If a referrence to "white lines" appear in the supps and if LRP re-paints the "white line" in the uphill - paint the line left of the "Old Surface" between the new and old surface leaving the safest part of the track available for racing. Whatever we need to do in an effort to keep the Corner Workers safe - DO IT.

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dad&#39;s - God Bless the Mom&#39;s for making it happen - It&#39;s great to be a Dad.

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller