>>A BioDiesel ITC Rabbit would be great to see out there IMO. [/b]
I completely agree...

While everyone else is paying $3 to $6 a gallon for 93 to 100 octane, this guy has a cannister of filtered egg roll oil from the local takeout place.[/b]
Biodiesel is a bit different that straight waste vegetable oil (WVO)...the two are often confused. While it is possible for practically any diesel to run filtered WVO, you have to convert the vehicle to use a system that heats the oil first, then filters it pretty heavily...and make provisions for startup / shutdown on normal petro diesel. Long story, but you have to buy / make a kit.

Biodiesel is actually "converted" vegetable oil that's been changed into methyl esters by running a simple chemical reaction on it. Essentially, you catalyze the oil and make the heavy, sticky stuff (glycerin) drop out so you're left with a fuel that is interchangeable with normal diesel fuel as far as BTU, viscosity, etc. I learned how to make the "processor" and do the process from different websites... it's pretty easy. Just look up "Appleseed" reactors.

Bio and petro mix perfectly and you can run any blend you want... no conversion needed to the engine. The one major difference is that bio gels at a higher temp than normal diesel (around 20 degrees as opposed to -10 for petro). This means you can't run 100% in the cooler months.

Like I said, I run it at 100% in my rabbit truck and it's been great. Tremendous fuel cost savings, the truck runs better (bio has better lubrication qualities) and a lot better for the environment (less smoke, emissions, etc.)

I think as long as you run Transesterfied Fuel(bio-diesel), thats oil sans glycyrin, it would'nt be to slick if they spilled it, I'd hate to see SVO cars spilling frenchfrypudles allover the course.[/b]
Well...biodiesel is still pretty slick. Not so much as WVO, but slippery all the same. The advantage to bio is that it is not considered a hazardous / flammable liquid by the DOT. The flash point is too high... in addition, it's biodegradable. When I spill it, I use some dish soap or kitty litter and then hose it off.

In Canada, the VWs are available from the dealerships with the bio-diesel option. We seem to get the chaff lately. [/b]
I've heard that the diesel VW's (and some of the new Dodge / Jeeps) come from the factory with a tank of B5 or B10 (either 5 or 10% biodiesel) from the factory. Is that what you mean?

In France, they're mandating that all petro diesel sold be combined with a minimum percentage of bio...something like 2-3%. Pretty neat. I wish we could do that here in the US.

I have a mental image of trying to 'heel & toe' in 4" stiletto heels and a French maid's costume...[/b]
As long as the heels and costume are SFI rated, I don't see any issues... Heh, heh...

>>Wouldn't it be nice if we were part of a racing organization that was a leader in alternative fuels? [/b]
My feelings exactly. I lived in Europe for a while and I saw a special "Renault Campus" class run at LeMans a few times that was powered on fuel made from beets. It was fun to watch... single seater formula cars, no wings allowed, small engines (1 liter?).

I've got other feelings about the SCCA "getting with it" and making some changes to attract / adapt to the younger audience of enthusiasts, but that's probably for another time. I left my soap box at home...

Would it be worth it to call Kansas and ask if there are any provisions for diesels running?