Thread: ITB GTI Getting Started

I recently aquired Doug Ketchie's old '83 GTI ITB car. I'm slowly rebuilding it as it was just a rolling chassis when I got it. The cage looks good and is hopefully up to spec. Any suggestions on suspension? I've been in Mazda land for the last 5 years so the VW competition market is unknown to me. This is my first attempt at a roadrace legal car so I'm sure I'll have tons of questions before this thing ever hits the track.[attachmentid=445][attachmentid=445][attachmentid=446][attachmentid=450]

A1 VWs are a very well known quantity and there's a lot of knowledge out there about them. Get a tech inspector, or at least an experienced racer to look the cage over. Keep in mind that you'll probably have to upgrade the pass. side for the '07 season. As far as suspension goes, there are several options, It really depends on how much money you want to spend.

Where are you from? That info might make it easier to hook up with someone local....

What does it currently have for a suspension?

Shine was very helpful to me when I was running a GTi and were a good group of guys at the track

Although i haven't worked personally with Bildon, I have driven Kirk Knestis's car and know his thoughts and he speaks very highly of them.

My silence on other speaks fo itself..........

You will also get better info here than at VW Whortex
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

It looks like maybe your in NC. Your local to check out Kirk's car first hand. And Chris Schimmel would be the guy to talk to about your cage.

Yea...I'm in Greensboro. What updates are the cages supposed to have for 2007? Is it something listed in FastTrack? I can never keep up with all that stuff. I might as well go ahead and get that done before I repaint the interior. The suspension on the car right now is bone stock from what I can tell. Any information on how to get in touch with Kirk? thanks in advance guys.

Wow, you are really local, then. Kirk&#39;s E-mail is, Kirk Knestis <kirk.knestis at evaluand.com> You gotta fix the @. He keeps his car at my shop, you should come by and check it out sometime. You can catch me at shiftlink at gmail.com.

I think the update that Bill refers to is the side protection on both sides has to be equal, basically. I don&#39;t have the GCR or fastracks handy right now.

You can see Kirk&#39;s car at this website:
    build
    http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/build4.php
    events
    http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/events06.php

I think the update that Bill refers to is the side protection on both sides has to be equal, basically. I don&#39;t have the GCR or fastracks handy right now.[/b]
    Ok. I&#39;ll have to go back and read the GCR now. The door protection in the Rabbit isn&#39;t equal. I would like to get some opinions on what direction I should go with it. The driver side protection is pretty bulky. I&#39;m worried about adding a lot of weight to the passenger side if I match the door bars that the driver&#39;s side has. [attachmentid=451]

Ok. I&#39;ll have to go back and read the GCR now. The door protection in the Rabbit isn&#39;t equal. I would like to get some opinions on what direction I should go with it. The driver side protection is pretty bulky. I&#39;m worried about adding a lot of weight to the passenger side if I match the door bars that the driver&#39;s side has. [attachmentid=451]
    [/b]
    The way it is now, no. Not because they&#39;re not the same, but because there aren&#39;t 2 bars on the passenger side. Shoot some more pics of the inside of the car from multiple angles.

The way it is now, no. Not because they&#39;re not the same, but because there aren&#39;t 2 bars on the passenger side. Shoot some more pics of the inside of the car from multiple angles.
    [/b]
    Here is all the pictures I&#39;ve got so far. I just sold my truck so I have a few extra bills in the bank. Please let me know if you see any specifics about the cage that need to be addressed before I repaint it.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures...l?id=2105586780