Well, I have seen camber plates that mount above the stock location, effectively adding travel, as mentioned above, and nobody bats an eye.

This does fit the letter of the law...........

But the spirit is stretched, thats for sure.

However, the rules must be definitive about what constitutes the "edge", and this rule is not.

In this case, I fear it's a case of "If it says you can, you bloody well can"

If we don't like it, we need to adress how the rule is written, and make the new rule effective for cars with logbooks after XXXXXX date.

A protest would be, IMHO, a crap shoot. Some techs will roll their eyes and want to go to the beer party, others will toss the guy.

( A version of two opposite opinions occured when I went to get my car teched for it's initial logbook. I copied the rear support design of the car owned by the head of tech for a local region...same car as mine. But the tech guy who looked at it failed it and refused to issue a logbook based on those bars. So, I went and got the guy and the car I copied, who was at the event. Much discussion ensued...but they had already written it up in the logbook, and said, "What do you want us to do, scratch it out? It's written in ink!" So, instead of a messy logbook, their decision was to let his car stand, but I had to rip my bars out and reweld...all so that my logbook wouldn't be messy.
Needless to say, my thougts regarding certain tech inspectors was "What a bunch of morons".......)

I think things are better these days....but, judgement calls like this are just that..and reasonable men may differ.