Thread: How to Avoid the Hack

Since I cannot reply to any of the existing topics, I had to start a new one...

There are two easy ways to avoid having a problem with this forum exploit:

1) Stop using Internet Explorer. I use Firefox and I had no clue there was a problem with the board until Webmaster locked us out.

2) If you insist on running Internet Explorer then RIGHT NOW do the following:
    - Open Tools/Options/Security
    - Open Restricted Sites
    - Add *.traffsale1.biz to the list

If this happens again with another site, add that site to the list.

1) Stop using Internet Explorer. I use Firefox and I had no clue there was a problem with the board until Webmaster locked us out.
    [/b]
    I am visiting my parents for the week and couldn't open with IE. My first solution was to download and use Firefox, worked like a charm.

It can be downlaoded from google, you can just download Firefox and nothing else.......
    http://pack.google.com

Be careful that FireFox was not simply failing to prompt you about the Java download as IE was.
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

...My first solution was to download and use Firefox, worked like a charm...[/b]
    August will mark two years of using Firefox. Perfectly happy with it.

Slightly OT: Anyone tried the new OpenOffice 2.0 yet? Wow. It might be a good time to sell MS stock.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

I could browse with FF, but it dispises playing nice with sun java. So none of my work tools are happy with it I run IE. But with IE locked down properly along with an up to date virus scan system in place it blocked it for me automatically ever time I hit the site.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

I agree with you Greg, I like Firefox. After switching completely (I&#39;d been using both for awhile) I&#39;m hooked on it, features, and how it doesn&#39;t have as many issues as IE. The tab feature is awesome, and having all eight of my frequently used sites bookmarked as the home Page loads them all up - at the same time - allowing me to tab through them quickly to get my internet fix. I&#39;m sure IE will copy these features and others on their next release.

R

Uhm OK on the IE bashing, fine.

First the hack was into the code of the forum pages - the problem on the server side had to be addressed.

Second the attack on visitors was an exploit that was patched and it wouldn&#39;t have harmed current systems only out of date ones. But protected IE systems are the ones that actually provided an indication the hack occurred - firefox would not have been exploited but then again if everyone was using firefox the code probably would still be in the forum. What&#39;s to say the exploit that was used to put the code in the server wouldn&#39;t eventually be used to put in an exploit on Firefox? Now the server exploit was addressed.
    Ed.

...What&#39;s to say the exploit that was used to put the code in the server wouldn&#39;t eventually be used to put in an exploit on Firefox?...[/b]
    Right. I just enjoy the hackers spending 0.00001% of their time targeting FF.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

if FF was mainstream and IE not, they would spend more time on it. supply and demand.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Luckily, McAfee slammed the trojans (5 under different names) as soon as I tried to login. I waited several days before I logged in again!

Ditto with Norton. I couldn&#39;t get in, but they couldn&#39;t get me, either. I just waited for a while to stir the pot.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

I have also used firefox on numerous machines over the last 2-3 years and much enjoyed many of it&#39;s features. unfortunately there were some incompatabilities that led me to switch back. Anyway, I use AVG free on all my machines and It alerted and protected my machines form any problems.
    Peter Linssen
    SPM Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB/FP/VP1 Opel Manta