Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: CRX - is it still competitive?

I have a question along the lines of the original topic. Forgive me if it was already covered because I did not read through all 5 pages.

How are you guys doing against the DA tegs? Is the power difference not a killer for you guys? I am currently racing H4 with my CRX, and although I know my car is not at it's full potential with every part I can put on it, it does have a fair amount of work done to it.
    The problem I find at certain tracks is the teg seems to pull such a large gap on me on the straights that I do all I can to close up under braking and cornering. Even when I have a good 2-3 mph on him at corner exit, he still pulls out the gap. Closing that gap and making a pass is nearly impossible at the moment unless the other guy makes an error.

Could just be my car, but I wanted to hear what all the other CRX racers are experiencing.
    Currently, my car is at 2180lbs because I can't get it down anymore than it already is.

The teg seems to have it's strongest pull on my from 3-4th gear shifts. The teg driver is running a 4.7 ITR FD. I am running a 4.7 as well. Both of us have fully built .040 motors that are just about maxed.

Thanks all.

From what I've seen the best CRXs should launch well enough out of the turns and be making enough poop to stay right on an integra's rear bumper, and possibly close on it and pop out beside it if the draft and the CRX's motor are good enough. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I've seen it happen first hand. I've also heard other integra drivers complain about the bigger than necessary hole these cars punch in the air. How far have you come with the ecu on your CRX? Apparently there are significant gains to be had in the top end with the right tune.
    Alex Muresan
    #84 ITA

I'm hoping to be able to use a Hondata soon if the rules will allow it. I am hoping I can make a good bit of difference with the new tune! Right now, I am running a stock ECU, but I have dyno tuned the car for fuel pressure and timing!

The biggest problem my car seems to have is the lack of TQ compared to the teg. It gets out of the 3rd gear corners so much better!

I agree that the teg does punch a HUGE hole in the air. That is the only real reason I was able to stay with the leader for the whole race this year at cali speedway! I could draft up, but as soon as I pulled out the car slowed down. So, the chance I had was to pass under braking for the turn into the infield.

I know a have a bit of work to do with the suspension still. There is some speed left in the chassis. But I really want to find some more power from the lump in the hood.

The CRX is a little weak in tq compared to the Integra, but the power to weight (even now) is pretty even. Some things you want to keep im mind is that the crx has better brakes and tires in the long run because of the lighter weight.

You won't musle past them in a tight corner but you usually can outbreak and outlast. I think the CRX also works well if you try to keep the momentum going, rework your line a little so that you don't loose that. If you pressure the integ all race long you will still have better tires and brakes to make the critical moves at the end of the race.

Tom Blaney

If you're refering to the carberated CRX in ITC, there has been no change in minimum weight. The only failure I've had of any front end parts came this year with a torn boot that caused the grease to go away and ruin the CV joint. That was a result of my overlooking a loose suspension piece, not a weight issue or a poor maintenance problem...just stupidity. The only suspension part I've ever had to replace due to wear was rear hub bearings.
    My understanding about weight additions is the reason for the SIR on the BMW's in ITS. An increase in weight would create reliability problem in suspension parts, etc. At least that's what I got from screaming BMW owners.
    [/b]
    Actually I was talking about the 88-91 standard CRX which came with a 1.5L fuel injected engine and rear drums as opposed to the CRX Si with its 1.6L engine and rear discs.

I hear you Adam.
    Just as an FYI, here's where we are after 3 weekends, 4 ECRS (but both VIR races were DNFs). This is by my memory, so some of this might be wrong...

Halfshaft (2 weekends)
    Front bearing (one weekend)
    Lower ball joint (3 weekends)
    3 sets of brake pads

Christian has also sprung for 4 new Toyos (started using them at his school) and 8 new Hoosiers so far this season.
    I bring this up to point out that this IS NOT a low budget half-assed effort. Christian believes (as I do) that racing is too dangerous and too expensive to skimp on things to save a few bucks.

So, again (13th time?)...
    Maybe we are just having disgustingly awful luck.
    Or
    Maybe the 110lbs is a contributing factor.
    Or
    A little of both

[email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

After getting input from the rest of the ITA Honda racers, I&#39;d really like to think that it&#39;s just plain old bad luck so far this year. I&#39;m not convinced that&#39;s the case but,a s I said, I&#39;d like to think it <_< Once again, it&#39;s not really going to matter too much either way as Sprints and Pro-IT&#39;s are what will comprise the rest of this season&#39;s efforts.

RE: the list of stuff on the car so far, I think that just about covers all the "normal" wear and tear parts this season. There were an additional 3 sets of front rotors but those don&#39;t really count as they&#39;re wear items anyway. We&#39;ve had a few other melted ball joint boots but those are normal enough wear items for this car/class.

Christian, who&#39;s looking forward to RA this month...
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear