Thread: trying to get into club racing, have a question

Hello all, I am hoping to get into club racing and have a question I would like some clarification on. I have been reviewing the GCR, my question pertains to engines. Would it be illegal to put the d16a6 from an 88-91 crx si into an 87 crx si? in the GCR is says that updating/backdating can be done between make(honda)/model(crx)/type(3 door hatch). am i misreading?

thanks,
    Scott F.

don't think so. The cars are in two different classes--ITA and ITB.

In IT, you are classed by the car/ model. If the VIN says you have a certain year and model, you need to follow the Spec line for it.

Cheers.

Yes, you're misreading. As joeg says, you may only update/backdate when the car is listed on the same "spec line" of it ITCS.

If you look at ITCS Page #32, you'll see the 84-87 CRX Si on the same spec line. This means that you can update or backdate components only over those model years. Although I'm not so up-to-date on those cars, this means you could use the nose piece of an 84/85 w/ sealed beam headlights instead of the flush nose of the later cars since you can get cold air in through the "grills" just ahead of the headlights.

If you look at ITCS Page #26, you'll see the listing for the 88-91 CRX Si. Since all four years are on the same spec line, you can update your 88/89 tub to the rear disc brakes that were standard on the 90/91's.

Because the 84-87's are not listed on the same spec line as the 88-91's, you can't mix & match between the two.

Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

if you are new to these cars, 84-87 hondas, check out:

http://www.redpepperracing.com/

not just racers but several ITB, G-Prod, Honda Challenge & GT people frequent it.

tom
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Scott,

Two highly experienced IT pilots whose opinions I trust have told me that they think that the 86-87 CRX si is THE BEST car to have in ITB. So if that's what you have, and from your opening post it sounds like it, you already have the hot ticket. Get a cage in that bad boy and come play!

there are quite a few of that vintage car running with the Honda Challenge with the East Coast Honda Challenge.

the HC rules and ITB overlap quite well. an ITB car can easy run to HC rules. they have fields with HC that rivals ITB and its all early Hondas and Integras (e.g., 86-87).

in ITB they are good car if not a high horsepower track. very easy to drive and very forgiveable. i assume you have been autocrossing it? if not, do that some too. i routinely use a local a/x to check out if any suspension mods i've done are causing any issues or use it as a chance to pay back my garage help/crew with a ride in the car.

pm me and i'll tell you essentially everything i've done to my car or otherwise, check out OPM in near Atlanta.

tom
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

in ITB they are good car if not a high horsepower track. very easy to drive and very forgiveable.

tom
    [/b]

I would argue just the opposite about the car not performing well at a HP track... Rick ran his new car at Pocono 2 weekends ago which is a total HP track. He easily stayed up with and beat us with the 2.2L Audi's. We have always felt our cars had a distinct advantage on a HP track like Pocono and enjoyed the ability to go to a race and not worry to much about being in the front. Rick shattered our relaxed excitement of our advantage at Pocono!!! Rick is a clean good racer with a well built motor... I think his car and his driving is a prime example of what a perfect legal car can do. As he showed if done right with a good driver I think it can be the car for the class on any track.

Raymond "JMO" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Thanks for all of the replies, any and all help is appreciated. I just bought the car the other day, and I believe the timing belt is broken, so time will tell exactly what condition the engine is in. It wouldn't bother me to pull and rebuild it anyway. Oh, and it's an 87 crx si. I did a little homework before buying and had read that it was a pretty competitive car for the class. I have been autocrossing for the past year and have really enjoyed it, despite having the wrong car for being competitive in STS, so I am not going into this completely blind. Like I said, whatever help you guys are willing to provide would be very appreciated, I have no problem listening to the voice of experience. Thanks again.

Scott

You are very wise...you will go far!

I see you are in the SE. Great area for IT...the whole east coast aint bad, actually. Get yourself over to Road Atlanta for one of their races. Check out the SE section here to hoook up with guys and kick some tires. While you're there find Tom Fowler..OPM I think is the name of his company..he's a Honda guy...might have some sage advice.

At this stage, do two things: keep your eyes and ears open and absorb everything, and work lots of overtime to buy the stuff you'll need...it adds up fast.

Good luck!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Welcome to the fun, sometimes fustrating and always enlightened path to club racing. I just made the treck myself after a few years of AX and track events. What Jake said is true, find some local drivers. Come out to an event, work a few specialties, BS in the paddock. Ask lots of questions (drivers love that )

When your ready just remember its for fun. I constantly need to check my competitive side because I am new and I am slow and I am bound to make mistakes if I my aggression get the best of me.

Oh and read the GCR many many many times, not only will it make you appreciate a migrain, it will help you later on at drivers school and on the track.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

>> OPM I think is the name of his company..

http://www.opmautosports.com/
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>