Thread: Newbie with Rear Gear Questions

First off I'm totally new to 240SX's and I have a question.
    I'm looking to replace the ring and pinion in my 91 240SX and I'm having a hard time finding a place that sells them. Where are some places that sell R&P's for my car and what ratio's are available ? Are there other Nissan vehicles that use the same R&P that I could maybe find in a junk yard ? I'm looking for some steeper gears to help with acceleration but money is kinda tight so with that in mind.....do you ever see any used sets for sell ? I'm looking to buy some ASAP so any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW.... any of you guys ever go to VIR ? I live only 20 mins from there and go there quite often.

I have a Nissan Motorsport 4.62 gearset for sale. Nissan is the only place I know of that sells the gearsets. I used this set for 3 sprint races in my ITS car and took it out so it is "like new" condition so I would sell it for a "like new" price. Call me at 404-314-5042 or PM if interested. Thanks, Chris Newberry
    Chris Newberry
    Atlanta, GA

First off I'm totally new to 240SX's and I have a question.
    I'm looking to replace the ring and pinion in my 91 240SX and I'm having a hard time finding a place that sells them. Where are some places that sell R&P's for my car and what ratio's are available ? Are there other Nissan vehicles that use the same R&P that I could maybe find in a junk yard ? I'm looking for some steeper gears to help with acceleration but money is kinda tight so with that in mind.....do you ever see any used sets for sell ? I'm looking to buy some ASAP so any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW.... any of you guys ever go to VIR ? I live only 20 mins from there and go there quite often. [/b]
    If you're in a hurry you might want to grab up the set Chris is selling. Courtesy Parts (courtesyparts.com) still lists the 4.08, 4.36, and 4.63 gears, but who knows if they really have them, and they want almost $500 for a set. If you weren't in a hurry I would say watch ebay, or 240sx.org, but the used ones only come along every so often so it could be a wait. I've found a couple of sets on ebay for around $250 - $300.

Some of the other guys here might know better, but the 4.63s might be a little too low for a fast car at VIR; I was there last weekend and with 4.36s I was in the 5,700 - 5,800 rpm range at the end of the back straight, and I was still a good 6+ seconds off the leader's pace.

Good luck.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

We run a 95 240sx at VIR currently with the stock 4.08 ratio. On the full course, this ratio requires me to run 5th gear through the up hill esses. At the end of the back stretch I'm taching about 6-6200 depending on the run out of Oak Tree. We are considering the 4.36 but I'm a little afraid that it may be too much. The 4.6 is out for VIR full course but would work well for either of the shorter courses or at CMP or Rockingham. Chris can shed more light on CMP. My Co driver is slightly slower than me and feels the 4.36 would help. As you pick up speed you may find out the same thing. We are currently running the Hoosiers in a 225/45-15 and have run 2:17's on the full course. I'm located about 30 mins from VIR and would love to get together and share info. Email me at [email protected]
    David Murphy
    Murphy Motorsports
    ITS 240sx
    Carolina Cup Pro Series
    www.murphymotorsports.net

I run the 4.63 at VIR (everywhere actually) and don't ever run out of motor.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Maybe the difference in an ITA and ITS engine?? 4.6 would put me by my calculations (primitive as they may be) at about 74-7500 at the end of the back staright.
    David Murphy
    Murphy Motorsports
    ITS 240sx
    Carolina Cup Pro Series

Will the R&P from other R200 diffs work with the 240SX diffs?
    Ed.

Maybe the difference in an ITA and ITS engine?? 4.6 would put me by my calculations (primitive as they may be) at about 74-7500 at the end of the back staright. [/b]
    Probably a combination of several things: the ITS motor should be making more power, so it would stand to reason you would be going faster at the end of the back straight. Also, in my case I'm running almost a 1" larger diameter tire (225/50/15 Toyos v. 225/45/15 Hoosiers) which means you would be running more rpms, even if you were only going the same speed (which obviously is not the case). If you're running 2:17s you're about 9 seconds faster than I am, and about 2 - 3 seconds faster than the top ITA cars, so it would stand to reason you would be turning up more rpms.

Actually, if I plug the rpm figures into my handy-dandy speed calculator it looks like you're doing 131 - 135 at the end of the back straight, while I'm poking along at just a tick over 120.

Can I have my doors back please

Hey David, you weren't at VIR last weekend, were you? I don't remember seeing an ITS 240.

Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

No we were racing motorcycles last weekend. We will run the car for the first time this year at Lowes in June. Hopefully we'll also run the CCPS in Aug and then the CCPS/ECR in Oct.

There is a certain model pathfinder that the FRONT ring and pinion will work. I'll try and find the info in my notes and post tomorrow.
    David Murphy
    Murphy Motorsports
    ITS 240sx
    Carolina Cup Pro Series

Will the R&P from other R200 diffs work with the 240SX diffs?[/b]
    Yes & no. There are some ring gears use a 10mm bolt, some use a 12mm. In my 300zx this difference means swapping the half shafts side to side as one is longer than the other. I don't know how the 240's work. I bought a 4:11 from a 200sx turbo?? and it was the 10mm size. All of the 300's w/ an R200 use the 12mm bolts. I think the late 280Z's that used that first, used the 10mm.

The flange the driveshaft bolts to is different from one car to another, but that's an easy swap.

Great. I thought it was just us guys with the R180s that had to worry about WHICH R180 we had.

Gotta love Nissan.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

I am pretty sure that all the 240SX differentials came with 12mm R200s (I think the 10mm R200s phased out in 87 or 88).

I am pretty sure the ring from any R200 from 89 and later would fit the carrier - my concern is which pinions fit the 240SX. I think there are different nose lengths on different cases which would imply different pinion lengths.

I am trying to come up with a list of all applications from which I could salvage R&P for the 240SX.

I had heard about the front diff of some of the pathfinders - attractive in particular because it was in a pretty short gear.

I mean here is a list of drives from 97-06 there are many R200's listed just curious as to which would have pinions that could be used: http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/h...axles.htm#240SX

Then there is also the whole range of Infinitis with R200s.
    Ed.

As I recall, all of the r200 diffs are the same. If there are any differences at all with the actually r/p chunk, it is as MMiskoe stated, in the ring gear bolt size.
    The main differences are in the stub axles. There are five bolt and six bolt versions. The 6 bolt flange came on the 240sxs. The five bolt flanges came on various other models and some infinitis that also use the r200 rear end. Both stub axle inserts are I believe 23 (or 24) splined. But of course we can only use the one that came on the 240 (six bolt flange).
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

As I recall, all of the r200 diffs are the same. If there are any differences at all with the actually r/p chunk, it is as MMiskoe stated, in the ring gear bolt size.
    The main differences are in the stub axles. There are five bolt and six bolt versions. The 6 bolt flange came on the 240sxs. The five bolt flanges came on various other models and some infinitis that also use the r200 rear end. Both stub axle inserts are I believe 23 (or 24) splined. But of course we can only use the one that came on the 240 (six bolt flange).
    [/b]
    Also note that the stock LSD R200's use a different ring gear bolts. They're 13mm (so all of the R&P options won't work with the VLSD unit). And with the VLSD, the halfshafts have the same 6-bolt flanges, but are very different inside the case (the R200 open is 2 equal length and the VLSD uses 1 short and 1 long).

That's just something to keep in mind if you are building a diff that was a VLSD. Some of the 3rd party LSD options require the open diff equal length stub axles and 12mm bolts.

joe
    #13 ITS S13 Nissan 240SX