Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITB Legality

Ok, this has been hashed out many times... how to keep everyone legal??? I am not about to hash this out but rather proceed with a process that a group of ITB drivers agreed to at the last weekends event at Pocono. For whatever reason I am the most outspoken one so I am posting, but I certainly hope others post in the future when issues arise. Use this forum and "bump" it up in the future so we can be reminded when this process works...

The Process:

1) When known illegalities are found or known, inform the driver as a group that he/she has till the next event to fix it.

2) Post on an open forum (preferably this forum and thread) the illegal parts that are expected to be fixed.

3) Check at the next event he/she runs to be sure that he/she has fixed the known problems. - It is important that someone checks, not necessarily the poster or informer of the issues, as he/she may not be at the event. We can not ensure legal cars are running in ITB if people do not follow through with each side, the fixer and the checker!!!

4) If the car is found not to have been fixed a protest NEEDS/WILL be filed at every event their after until a resolution has arisen.

Now with that said, if a competitor has a legit reason for the illegal part (s) I/we am sure that we can be reasonable on extending the repair time, so long as it is not the reason the person is beating someone else. Example, if a competitor is running illegal shortened axles on a VW and he/she can not get it fixed for the next event due to financial constraints or mechanical knowledge constraints, we may be flexible, but please post on this forum any agreements that you may have so that legality is followed through in the end. This does not mean that anyone needs to follow those agreements (Someone can still file a protest if they feel necessary). Also FYI, any agreements WILL not hold up in front of the Stewards. Being a Steward (Clarification: Steward In Training, SIT) myself I never promote an illegal car, and if serving on the SOM I would view things differently, but since I will not participate on the SOM (corrected to not say steward) in protests among fellow ITB drivers (conflict of interest) I will support what the rest of the group as a whole wants.

I hope this process keeps our class honest and legal for everyone.

Raymond Blethen
    ITB Audi Coupe #51

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

The first victum...

Marios Tinis in a ITB VW Golf:

Known illigal parts: (Removed supplier names as it is not relevant)

Shortened driverside axle
    Solid front motor mount
    Smaller than factory batery

He was told by a group of ITB drivers that we expect all repairs to be made by the next event. He was unaware of his illigality and was very understanding and willing to make the changes.

Raymond

PS: This is an example of a car/driver that has no effect on me directly, it does however have an effect on other drivers and the class as a whole, thus the need for everyone to post future issues/problems others find if it directly effect you or not. Lets all work together!!!
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I would LOVE to have open hood and trunk directive in an impound-all scenrio after qualifying.

Bring a legal car, care about the rules and care about others that care about the rules or go find something else to do. Please.

Good luck in your efforts young Jedi.

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

We did an open hood impound all in the Jan Sebring SM National race...If the top 4 go to impound anyways it would be simple to say hoods doors decklids open! for all. I usually open mine if someone asks me something anyways in impound. Ok the next time im in impound i will open my hood and decklid/doors...maybe I will start a trend! I would like to look at my competitions stuff and they are welcome to see mine...
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

heh heh poor Mario. I tried to tell him when he was buying parts that this stuff would not fly in IT. But I guess he did not listen.

Oh but please dont list the illegal parts as "Bildon" this or "BSI" that. We just sell parts.
    The mount is made by a company not affiliated with Bildon and is available on a hundred websites. It&#39;s legal about everywhere but in IT. Not really fair to drag our names through the mud with the offender! <_<

>> I would LOVE to have open hood and trunk directive in an impound-all scenrio after qualifying.

This is pretty common at Nelson. Doesnt seem to get anybody&#39;s panties in a wad. :P But people still can&#39;t see the 2L bottom end in some of the Golfs!
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

I agree, in the VW scene I know of a good 10-15 vendors that sell that motor mount, same with the axles. Outside of IT this is considered a must have in the tuner scene. Personally racing is the only place I could handle stiff motor mounts, just running a VWMS mount on my 2001 jetta is annoying.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

I find it funny that RSTperformance posted this, because I have heard for several years that they were highly illegal. I have heard these "rumors and accusations" from several different competitiors who are very familiar with audis and VWs. I cant say one way or the other, but I know this post is going to smack many of these people in the face. Thats why I think people need to be more willing to file protest in order to weed out cheating or put rumors to rest.

Perhaps I am missing something, but how do you run a shortened axle? If you have a legit engine and a legit hub (meaning both in stock locations), how can the distance between both be shortened?

Jeremy - Who is a Honda guy and has never heard of this before!
    Jeremy Billiel

I find it funny that RSTperformance posted this, because I have heard for several years that they were highly illegal. I have heard these "rumors and accusations" from several different competitiors who are very familiar with audis and VWs. I cant say one way or the other, but I know this post is going to smack many of these people in the face. Thats why I think people need to be more willing to file protest in order to weed out cheating or put rumors to rest. [/b]
    I find it funny you joined today and didn&#39;t post your real name.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I find it funny that RSTperformance posted this, because I have heard for several years that they were highly illegal. I have heard these "rumors and accusations" from several different competitiors who are very familiar with audis and VWs. I cant say one way or the other, but I know this post is going to smack many of these people in the face. Thats why I think people need to be more willing to file protest in order to weed out cheating or put rumors to rest.[/b]

Oh let the mud slinging begin. Good for you guys to volunteer to ride the bar on the dunk tank.

Just out of curiousity, I agree w/ Jermy - how do you run a shortened axle & why is this an advantage? Something to do w/ making the CV&#39;s run straighter once you&#39;ve dropped the ride height is all I can imagine.

Also (at the risk a thread highjack) can the "one engine stayrod" be considered a solid mount? Feel free to ignore this or answer it somewhere else, I don&#39;t mean to stray this thread. Of course I have no idea what he had for a mount that was frowned at, perhaps that&#39;s the real question.

Matt

>> because I have heard for several years that they were highly illegal

hah! This coming from somebody hiding behind a 1 time post ? Not very credible.

So Mr. 12-210-167-5.client.insightBB.com, How&#39;s the weather there?
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

Just out of curiousity, I agree w/ Jermy - how do you run a shortened axle & why is this an advantage? Something to do w/ making the CV&#39;s run straighter once you&#39;ve dropped the ride height is all I can imagine.

[/b]
    That is exactly the issue. The rabbit has more of a problem with this then the golf. I heard a few golfs snapping axles the way lowered rabbits do, but it does not seem to be as much of a problem. When you lower the rabbit for optimal ride height you reduce the plunge depth and angle of the driver CV. This creates the undue pressures on the CV and they blow out. In the tuning world with lots of low street cars, this was solved with the shortened axle. Though I dont know anyone that beat on the rabbit in AX or drag racing to care because they would sheer inner CVs launching and the extra price of a shortened axle made no sense.

This and many other weak parts is why I passed up on a ITB rabbit, I dont have the time to do all the proper maintinence needed to race one, even if it cost less then my golf overall.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

I think I need to apologize,because I believe my post was taking the wrong way in regards to the way it was written. I should not have used the word funny. Maybe "ironic". The point I was trying to make was that the original poster was trying to come up with a way to help keep cars and competitiors legal. I was pointing was trying to point out that here is an example of someone trying to come up with a solution or better way, and yet I have heard questions about his cars. We all here people&#39;s opinions of other competitiors and their legality, and I am sure we have our own opinions. There are always people to think others must be cheating if they get beat. My point was to make the process of protesting or others means easier so that we could identify problems with competitors and more importantly put rumors and accusation to rest. I said I have know idea about the original poster and comments I have heard. And I do not put much stock in them because I do not know the sitiuations. I was trying to make a point that the poster was right. There needs to be a better way. I also apologize to anyone who might have been offended

Dick Elliott Guest

And your name is????

I think I need to apologize,because I believe my post was taking the wrong way in regards to the way it was written. I should not have used the word funny. Maybe "ironic". The point I was trying to make was that the original poster was trying to come up with a way to help keep cars and competitiors legal. I was pointing was trying to point out that here is an example of someone trying to come up with a solution or better way, and yet I have heard questions about his cars. We all here people&#39;s opinions of other competitiors and their legality, and I am sure we have our own opinions. There are always people to think others must be cheating if they get beat. My point was to make the process of protesting or others means easier so that we could identify problems with competitors and more importantly put rumors and accusation to rest. I said I have know idea about the original poster and comments I have heard. And I do not put much stock in them because I do not know the sitiuations. I was trying to make a point that the poster was right. There needs to be a better way. I also apologize to anyone who might have been offended
    [/b]
    Again, your comments have no validity when you don&#39;t post a name.

I&#39;ve been in IT in NER for years and in ITB for two and have never heard these same "rumors" that you have. When ever someone is fast, the accusations fly.

My thoughts on the process:

- I applaud what you guys are doing. Nice job.
    - I don&#39;t know if I agree about posting it all in a public forum. But maybe public humiliation will work??
    - I think you are going easy on known cheaters
    - I don&#39;t buy that "I didn&#39;t know" crap. Especially on shortened axles and motor mounts. Every VW guy knows these "tricks"!!
    - I know there a bunch of NER ITBers that are behind this. You cheaters better watch out!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

2) Post on an open forum (preferably this forum and thread) the illegal parts that are expected to be fixed. [/b]
    I’m not sure how much I agree with this. If the person found to be illegal is a member here, then maybe. But how annoyed would people be if they were being “bashed” on other forums and didn’t even know about it? The person should at least be able to defend them self. Maybe there is some reason that some-what helps explain things.

As Jeff stated, when someone is fast, there are bound to be rumors about how the car must be illegal. Unfortunately, it’s a part of human nature and occurs in every sport that I know of.

When the Audis qualified first and second at the ’04 ARRC, the chances that rumors of illegalities is pretty high. I will say that both drivers have been very enthusiastic about cars being legal, and do not believe that they would do something illegal on purpose.

Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Also (at the risk a thread highjack) can the "one engine stayrod" be considered a solid mount? Feel free to ignore this or answer it somewhere else, I don&#39;t mean to stray this thread. Of course I have no idea what he had for a mount that was frowned at, perhaps that&#39;s the real question.

[/b]
    Hijacking continued...

A "solid" mount would confine the motion in more than one plane, which is specifically forbidden within that allowance. I&#39;ve been working this one lately, since I&#39;m in the process of laying out my IT car, and I&#39;m trying to read the rules the way I&#39;ve been taught (indirectly) by the people I respect here at IT.com.
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

I agree with the stay rod rule for the mount. It makes sense in the intent, just not the wording.

Now with Halfshafts being shortened- Shame on You!

How can you tell when the shaft is shortened? I used to race am A1 Rabbit and never heard of such a thing.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

I have not been on IT.com in a while but I was told I should look at this tread.

1st. Ray is not a Steward, he is a Steward in Training.

2nd as far as impound all&#39;s and open Hood and Trunk inspections, if you contact the Chief Steward early enough (not a few days before the race), The Chief Steward would probably arrange for it to happen.
    This would mean a significant number of drivers asking for the impound all- well in advance.

I am posting a segment from the Stewards Standard Minimum Penalties- the portion that deals with Non-compliant cars.

Car not in compliance:
    Prior to the race: Chief Steward removes Tech Sticker - car may be re-submitted, and if found in compliance, may compete.
    Post race: Time penalty to move to last in field. (If not sufficient to cause loss of place points - take points).

Cheater car (attempted performance modification):
    Maximum penalty (DQ, Suspension, and probation.) The probation to include having the car appear at pre and post race tech at each event for compliance verification.

We all want cars to be compliant

Jack Hanifan
    NeDiv Executive Steward

Well... this might not be the reaction I had hoped for... but maybe it will keep people in line...

My responses...

1) Most important, agreed that suppliers names should remain nameless, didn&#39;t mean to show any disrespect to Bildon or BSI... I posted names so people knew what to look for, but I don&#39;t think that needs to happen. Also two separate suppliers reinforces my thought that it was not a supplier steering a driver/team wrong, but that the driver/team new what they wanted and made the decision to purchase it. I hope that makes sense.

2) Jack sorry for not being clear about the SIT thing, most hear know that... Personally I only brought up the steward issue because I relinquish my job/duties as a steward or SIT for any ITB protests as there is an obvious conflict of interest. I think that all stewards and drivers would agree that my separation of duties is the correct thing to do. Also I wanted to be clear that this way of handling illegalities was driver driven and not in line with how a “Steward” would handle illegalities.

3) If you have a thought that my car or my brother’s car is illegal, please PM me, call me, or e-mail me with questions. We have made every attempt to make our cars legal. To be honest they are well developed cars, but at the same time they have so much more that could be done. They are not even close to the point where we would need to do illegal things to get faster. If you are ever at the track you are more than welcome to look at anything you want... We will even pull a spark plug out so you can see the 200,000 mile + cylinder walls and carbon toped pistons... Anyway I hate rumors, but they are expected, especially due to our success with the cars and the cars rarity. I will take the comments from unknown as a compliment to our achievement and move on. Also a small tad bit of info... while we might be very public about our racing efforts their have been or are Audi Coupes throughout the country with a great deal of success - Our lap times at Road Atlanta are NOT the fastest ITB Audi&#39;s that have run.

4) I do feel that publicly announcing on a forum “illegalities” is ok. It allows others to know to go check. The internet is a great form of communication and this certainly gets the word out. If you don&#39;t like it don&#39;t let me find out your illegal parts

5) I restate 2 things:

A ) Marios Tinis seems to me like a great guy, and I look forward to seeing him at future races. I am even sending him some in-car video!!!

B ) If Marios was DSQ&#39;d or not would have no relevance on my race. It is simply me being the spokesperson in effort to help everyone keep our class legal.

5) Mr. Unknown... and others- I am not totaly dumb, nor am I deaf. Also I have wonderful friends, we all do. The Rumors and those who created them are well known to me. I have no intentions of confronting them, as it is pure rumor on who starts rumors anyway, right? In Closing we would love to have a real conversation with those that feel "something" is illegal so please give us a call so we can hash it out and make any adjustments that may be needed.

Raymond &#39;Hope I haven’t dug myself to big a hole!!!" Blethen

PS: I support the open hood, trunk, doors, etc. policy in impound. As such we will try to remember to do this on our own; all are welcome and encouraged to come take a look at our cars. Please point out anything you might question, and feel free to post here, if I don&#39;t do it first!!! All others are also encouraged to participate in this policy!!!
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

MY NAME IS MARIOS TINIS. I AM THE ONE THAT THE AUDI GUYS ARE IN LOVE WITH.
    THE POCONO RACE WAS MY 4TH RACE WITH SCCA. aPPARENTLY I HAD 3 ITEMS ON THE CAR THAT
    ACCORDING TO THE AUDI GUYS WERE ILLEGAL. WHEN I WAS APPROACHED I SAID I WILL CORRECT THE ISSUES. I CALLED SCCA AND LEFT A MESSAGE FOR INTERPERTATION.
    BUT IF THE IT GUYS ARE NICE GUYS WHY ARE THEY PUTTING MY NAME ON THE INTERNET. WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT AND ESPECIALLY WHEN I SAID I WOULD TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM.
    I WAS TOLD THAT THE AUDI GUYS DO NOT WANT ANYONE ELSE TO COME FIRST. I AM WONDERING WHO HAS CHECKED THEIR CARS OF BEING LEGAL? GOOD START. THANK YOU AUDI BROTHERS.

MY NAME IS MARIOS TINIS. I AM THE ONE THAT THE AUDI GUYS ARE IN LOVE WITH.
    THE POCONO RACE WAS MY 4TH RACE WITH SCCA. aPPARENTLY I HAD 3 ITEMS ON THE CAR THAT
    ACCORDING TO THE AUDI GUYS WERE ILLEGAL. WHEN I WAS APPROACHED I SAID I WILL CORRECT THE ISSUES. I CALLED SCCA AND LEFT A MESSAGE FOR INTERPERTATION.
    BUT IF THE IT GUYS ARE NICE GUYS WHY ARE THEY PUTTING MY NAME ON THE INTERNET. WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT AND ESPECIALLY WHEN I SAID I WOULD TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM.
    I WAS TOLD THAT THE AUDI GUYS DO NOT WANT ANYONE ELSE TO COME FIRST. I AM WONDERING WHO HAS CHECKED THEIR CARS OF BEING LEGAL? GOOD START. THANK YOU AUDI BROTHERS.