Thread: "Medical Carrier System"

Small and inexpensive, the system consists of a polyolefin film data form, a heavy-duty neon orange carrier, high-tech tape, and a reflective helmet decal. This simple, innovative hardhat accessory provides quick access to the wearer’s medical information and adds a valuable new function to any hardhat, including the market leader, MSA&#39;s V-Gard® helmet. With a ballpoint pen, the wearer prints his/her medical history, pertinent instructions, emergency contacts, etc. on the data form, which is tucked inside the orange carrier and attached to the inside of the helmet with the water-resistant acrylic tape that withstands most temperature extremes. A small reflective decal is placed on the left rear of the helmet to inform emergency personnel that important data is located inside the helmet. This system can provide crucial, even lifesaving information, in the event of a medical crisis, and the wearer controls its content. This medical information carrier system (MICS) is an "MSA exclusive" in industrial markets, but similar MICS are made for use with protective bicycle helmets and other helmets. As they are more widely used, the practice of keeping important medical information inside your hardhat will become a universal safety system.</div>
    </span>
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

That sounds like an excellent system! I have to jump through hoops to get my license renewed each year due to my crappy body rejecting life. Every region/division/race course I race on has my medical records on file, but with each delay, I could get closer to death. The info on my helmet could be immediately beneficial to my well being in the event of an accident.
    I&#39;m a licensed First Responder, and I can tell you that the time delay between immediate and advanced medical care can make the difference in life, critical care, and death.

I wear a Med Alert badge and have it on my driver&#39;s suit, below my name, but every little bit helps. This is a good idea. Like to see more racing regions adopt this program. They seemed to have no problem adopting the AMB timing system, why not this?
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

I&#39;m going to put a treasure map in mine.

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com

WDC has been using it the last two season at the least. I think its a very valuable thing for reponders, there is no need to dig through a stack of records to find your information out and it can be sent with you if your taken off track.

I actually forget all the time that its there till I touch it picking up the helmet. This is the type WDCR uses.

there are other variations out there, some are orange and show your name through a clear window.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Angry

I thought the "Medical Carrier System" was an SCCA requirement - apparently not yet.

Due to HIPPA regulations, it is increasingly difficult to share medical information and even more difficult to properly secure said medical information. As a result, the Medical Carrier System (MCS) allows an individual (driver, crew, worker) to maintain complete control over their private medical information while still providing access in case of an emergency.

For an entire $1.00, it is well worth the piece of mind. Of course the downside is if you lend your helmet to someone else but that is a "personal responsibility" matter.

One last tidbit - when writing down information on the MCS, use a PENCIL!!!! Ink doesn&#39;t dry on the material - probably b/c it is waterproof and impervious to inks.
    Haz-Matt Racing

I&#39;m going to put a treasure map in mine.
    [/b]
    :P
    I&#39;m visualizing a duct tape "X" somewhere on my driver&#39;s suit to mark the hidden &#39;treasure&#39; <_<
    (Maybe my really smelly socks...... )
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

When I filled mine out at Roebling earlier this year I got the impression they were first developed for use on motorcycle helmets. Put it right next to the "In case of accident do not remove my helmet" and possibly sever my spinal cord.

Tom Sprecher

I think the MCS meets the requirement in the GCR that a medial information card must be filled out with each entry form. I noticed with NCR running the VIR event that there was nothing in the supps about the MCS, but I had to fill out a medical form when I registered.

For ease of the registration people, rather then having to gather all the medical cards and giving them to EV and ensuring proper disposal per HIPPA requirements afterwards the MCS makes sense.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires