Thread: Driver Cooling

Since the GCR had wording added to the cooling allowed in the driver and passenger window openings "without altering the bodywork" (not exact), what is legal? I have attached a NACA duct to thr roll cage in the passenger window, but I am at a loss as to how to affix a NACA duct on the driver side. If it is attatched to the door bars, it prevents my feet from getting in the car I am, of course, assuming that any attachment to the door frame is "altering the bodywork". Suggestions? Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Chuck, please review the following rule & implementation of ducting.

"Ducting may be added to provide fresh air to the driver/passenger compartment. This ducting shall be located in the driver and/or passenger window area, with no modifications to the bodywork."

GCR Glossary of Bodywork = Body = All parts of the car licked by the air stream, bla bla...........

I would read the rule to mean that the inside parts of the door are not licked by the air stream. Attach your duct/whatever you use to implement the duct to the inside of the door & your home free. If ya had windows in the car the inside of the door would not be licked by the air stream.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Damn, I like the way you think....thanks, I'll do just that. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

Since the GCR had wording added to the cooling allowed in the driver and passenger window openings "without altering the bodywork" (not exact), what is legal? I have attached a NACA duct to thr roll cage in the passenger window, but I am at a loss as to how to affix a NACA duct on the driver side. If it is attatched to the door bars, it prevents my feet from getting in the car I am, of course, assuming that any attachment to the door frame is "altering the bodywork". Suggestions? Thanks, Chuck
    [/b]
    Here is the actual wording from page ITCS-14 of the 2006 GCR.
    i. Ducting may be added to provide fresh air to the driver/
    passenger compartment. This ducting shall be located in the
    driver and/or passenger window area, with no modifications
    to the bodywork. Only the cooling duct is permitted in the
    window area. It is not permitted to otherwise fill in the
    window area.[/b]
    The intent of the wording (I'm on the CR was to permit drivers to affix cooling ducts to the leading edge of the window frame or forward roll cage downbar to route cooling air to the driver. IMO, cutting a hole in the doorskin to flush-mount a NACA duct constitutes modifying the bodywork. Glueing and/or riveting a duct to the window frame does not (and this is our clear intent from the wording of the rule).

I recommend you contact Jeremy Thoennes (pronounced like the game "tennis"), SCCA Club Racing Technical Manager at 800-770-2055 to confirm this is the current interpretation. If it is not, let me know (my email address is in my profile) and I will engage at the appropriate level.

Have fun!

Stan, your interpertation is what I understood. I actually want a NASA duct in the driver's side opening and did not remember to look up the definition of "body work". What I want to do will be easily accomplishted using the inside door frame. Thanks to all, Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

For further clarification, I believe that add'l wording was added after several drivers were found to have filled in the window opening 3/4 full with plexiglass and then cutting a hole in the plexi to add a NACA duct. The duct performed the same function, but the plexiglass had the added benefit of improved overall aero for the car.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.....
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

Chris, I hate being the bug. It's that one time thing.

Reminds me of when I drove my parents car. Next day Dad would say, driving kind of fast last night eh Buck-O. Took a couple of those comments before I got the picture. Then he never viewed a dirty windshield again & he never found the windshield cleaning kit I hid in the trunk. Oh, he knew what was going on. Is that the original meaning of "Trunk kit" ?
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14